ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 2 Observations: What Think Ye? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=198909)

Color Red 12-21-2008 10:06 PM

2 Observations: What Think Ye?

It can be unusual for a losing team to lose several games the same way. The Chiefs have this situation.

This team often has had productive games and leads through the first half. They have often experienced teams countering their game in the second half and winning. There are obvious points about playing a complete game and holding on to a lead, but I have these two observations. What do you think?

1. There's something about Thigpen's or the Chiefs' game for which successful teams are making effective halftime adjustments and beating them. What are these adjustments? What are they adjusting to and changing to be more effective with in the second halves of games?

2. If you have a lead at half time you are delusional if you think your team only needs to more or less keep doing what they did in the first half in order to win. My observation--it is only an uneducated observation--is that Herm is poor on game day, and specifically in his or his staff's ability to make or anticipate adjustments in the game at hand. A team has all week to prepare for a game. But specifically a team has twelve minutes to prepare for a second half. As I have suggested, an adjustment may be understand and accounting for the adjustments the other team is making. Never mind close scores. Look at the stats and points. Whatever the Chiefs are doing to prepare for the second half is failing miserably.

Deberg_1990 12-21-2008 10:12 PM

A couple of things:

Thigpen is wildly hot and cold. Hes basically inaccurate. He threw for alot of yards, but he was less than a 50% passer today. Not good enough.

Watch the really good QB's play. They make mistakes, but they also hit those "KEY" 3 or 4 passes a game to seal the game. Pennington did it today a few times.

Their game plans are all over the map. Why did we fling the ball around so much today in those conditions? Why did LJ only have 12 carries when he was running well??

Baffling.....

DaWolf 12-21-2008 10:15 PM

Yeah, I can name three to four games late this year that I do not understand why, with a lead, we did not start running the ball. To win in this league you have to be able to wear down another team's defense and impose your will on it. Frankly right now our offense is not tough. Defenses can come out in the second half and still have that energy against us. We are a soft team on both sides of the ball, and the results show it...

Ebolapox 12-21-2008 10:17 PM

wait, herm is a bad game-day coach? ****. I'd have had NO clue if you didn't bring it up! thanks, brah!

Mecca 12-21-2008 10:18 PM

When they decided to play offense like this they basically decided they were going to pass about 2-3 times more than they ran.

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-21-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5318955)
wait, herm is a bad game-day coach? ****. I'd have had NO clue if you didn't bring it up! thanks, brah!

He could have just said water is wet.

unothadeal 12-21-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5318955)

Is that you in your avatar?

Deberg_1990 12-21-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5318957)
When they decided to play offense like this they basically decided they were going to pass about 2-3 times more than they ran.

Yea. pretty much. Its pretty obvious isnt it? LJ has basically been phased out of alot of gameplans.

I guess thats understandable from a management perspective of him. They basically only give him the ball because of his contract.

Why dont they ever throw to him?? Hes been a decent pass catcher in the past.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5318936)

Watch the really good QB's play. They make mistakes, but they also hit those "KEY" 3 or 4 passes a game to seal the game. Pennington did it today a few times.

That's basically my hangup and has been all along.

Thigpen racks up a lot of yards. But most of it comes via throws any average quarterback makes. Not enough of it comes from throws elite quarterbacks make.

aturnis 12-21-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5318936)

I agree completely. I think Eli Manning is this type of guy. Though his first 3.5 seasons he looked pretty damned bad. It took until halfway through his fourth season for things to click and now look at him.

Doesn't developing mean you have to give a guy a chance? Not saying Thigpen is our guy, or even that I want him to be, but what happens if we get Stafford and he stinks it up his first three seasons? Chiefs fans call for his head. No way we as fans have the patience to develop one, and it shows with Thigpen.

Deberg_1990 12-21-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5318987)
Thigpen racks up a lot of yards. But most of it comes via throws any average quarterback makes. Not enough of it comes from throws elite quarterbacks make.

Might be the best thing you have ever posted on this board. :)

Your exactly right.

Hammock Parties 12-21-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 5318990)
No way we as fans have the patience to develop one, and it shows with Thigpen.

I think you'd see people showing more patience if he was making jaw-dropping plays, showing flashes of potential with every game.

Mostly I see him making exciting plays with his legs. Once every other game he'll make a throw that makes me say HOLY SHIT NICE THROW. That's not often enough in an offense that throws throws throws.

We have two good wide receivers who get separation. They aren't involved enough because Thigpen is limited.

OnTheWarpath15 12-21-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 5318990)
I agree completely. I think Eli Manning is this type of guy. Though his first 3.5 seasons he looked pretty damned bad. It took until halfway through his fourth season for things to click and now look at him.

Doesn't developing mean you have to give a guy a chance? Not saying Thigpen is our guy, or even that I want him to be, but what happens if we get Stafford and he stinks it up his first three seasons? Chiefs fans call for his head. No way we as fans have the patience to develop one, and it shows with Thigpen.

Three SEASONS?

You mean three GAMES?

Reerun_KC 12-21-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5319005)
I think you'd see people showing more patience if he was making jaw-dropping plays, showing flashes of potential with every game.

Mostly I see him making exciting plays with his legs. Once every other game he'll make a throw that makes me say HOLY SHIT NICE THROW. That's not often enough in an offense that throws throws throws.

We have two good wide receivers who get separation. They aren't involved enough because Thigpen is limited.

Thigpen kinda uses that Huard QB way of thinking... Just chuck that mother to TG no matter what the coverage is...

Thigpen could easily have 10-15 more picks this year. There were probably 6-8 that should of been picked today...

Deberg_1990 12-21-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 5319038)
Thigpen kinda uses that Huard QB way of thinking... Just chuck that mother to TG no matter what the coverage is...

Thigpen could easily have 10-15 more picks this year. There were probably 6-8 that should of been picked today...

Hes gotten incredibly lucky with a few of his deep throws. Like that one today that Bradley made, but just sat there for 5 minutes waiting for the ball to drop.