ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith did, does, and will always suck. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270480)

Jakemall 08-22-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9906098)
this is a fascinating discussion about this one preseason play.

LOL...desperate times.

I think everyone is having football withdrawls.

Sorter 08-22-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-NinersChiefs (Post 9906028)
Would have been wise to throw it in the stands beyond Bowe instead, yes.

Bowe was clearly his first read.. and Alex reads defenses pre-snap to decide where the ball should go. I think the surprise was.. the CB in that case almost always backpedals.. the SS blitzes.. the ILB clearly wasn't sprinting out to fill the underneath zone... so the CB is expected to backpedal as the last line of defense... but the CB stayed put.

That's not accurate at all. Plenty of teams utilize the defensive concept in the .gif, which is a FZ featuring a "Cloud" look, which requires that the open corner is playing trap force (essentially C2 base) and your safety and far-side corner are responsible for 1/2 each. It's a fairly common concept you'll see throughout the NFL and with college teams.

This can be remedied by gameplanning and isn't something to be exceptionally worried about yet.

Sorter 08-22-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 9906105)
It wasn't surprising at all to be honest. Just as I thought the Saints game plan was to take away anything deep, clearly the 49ers plan was to pressure Alex Smith relentlessly, and to take away the short stuff and challenge him to go long.

Now, with that being said, we don't know what audibles are in, or if there were any as they said they didn't game plan for this. We don't know what the option routes were incase of bump coverage, but what was sure is that on that play there were 4 short routes ran, and the 49ers sat on all of them.

one would hope that if it were a regular season game that Bowe would of had the option to go deeper with his route, and that alex would of lobbed it up to him in that situation especially with the safety on a blitz.....

To clarify, it wasn't gameplanning but rather getting reps out of some of their first installs, which for Rex/Rob/Sutton use a lot of quarters and c6 looks out of certain "base" fronts.

Sandy Vagina 08-22-2013 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9906155)
That's not accurate at all. Plenty of teams utilize the defensive concept in the .gif, which is a FZ featuring a "Cloud" look, which requires that the open corner is playing trap force (essentially C2 base) and your safety and far-side corner are responsible for 1/2 each. It's a fairly common concept you'll see throughout the NFL and with college teams.

This can be remedied by gameplanning and isn't something to be exceptionally worried about yet.

Ah, I didn't realize that the other safety must be off the screen playing very deep and coming over the middle.

Mav 08-22-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9906167)
To clarify, it wasn't gameplanning but rather getting reps out of some of their first installs, which for Rex/Rob/Sutton use a lot of quarters and c6 looks out of certain "base" fronts.

I agree. But, they played that one look all game. They left the flats and deep open all game. That's all I was saying. that was the plan.....

Tribal Warfare 08-22-2013 02:17 PM

Sapp and Irvin: Alex Smith is a game manager

ptlyon 08-22-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9906449)

So was Herm Edwards

Ming the Merciless 08-22-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

No he isn't!! He is more than that!!!

/cp "experts"

DJ's left nut 08-22-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9905954)
Yup. Especially with that safety blitzing.

Y'know what - I didn't even notice the safety.

I think that's what did it. He looks like maybe he was about to come off Bowe and then he saw the blitzer.

Cardinal rule of Quarterbacking - you don't stare at the rush. It looks to me like the blitzing safety suddenly caught his attention and by the time he was able to diagnose and re-calibrate, he was hung up on Bowe.

It's not an excuse because he shouldn't have allowed the safety to distract him, but it sure looks like he had the effect. (EDIT: Yup, that sure looks to be exactly what happened, he just picked up on the safety blitz until he started to unload, then he saw the guy and appears to have panicked a bit; goes back to his tag as a guy that won't improvise).

It's not a great thing, but I like that better than "well I guess he just told his progressions to **** off...."

There does seem to be a reason for it and when you can find a discernible reason, than you can also address it. Next time, don't stare at the rush, Alex.

DJ's left nut 08-22-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Well duh.

The problem was the tendency to use 'game manager' to describe shitty quarterbacks like Matt Cassel and Mark Sanchez.

Matt Schaub is a game manager. Andy Dalton and Sam Bradford are game managers. Matt Ryan was a game manager before he was given 2 All-Pro WRs and an All-Pro TE.

Game managers have won a shitload of games in this league and even a few championships. They're not the worst thing in the world, though clearly not ideal.

The problem is that it became a pejorative term after idiot front office types like Rex Ryan and Scott Pioli tried to find a label to apply to their quarterback that was significantly more media friendly than "really shitty".

Bad quarterbacks aren't game managers - they're just bad quarterbacks. Alex Smith isn't a bad quarterback, he's just a game manager and ultimately he's been a pretty damn good one for the last 4 years.

Hammock Parties 08-22-2013 04:40 PM

Maverick wants to make peace. LMAO

http://i.imgur.com/Ghv7NzR.jpg

Mav 08-22-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9906793)
Maverick wants to make peace. LMAO

http://i.imgur.com/Ghv7NzR.jpg

wow, classy.

Hammock Parties 08-22-2013 05:01 PM

Apology not accepted.

You must apologize to the entire board for deceiving us. You are an evil perverter of little Chiefs fans.

Kaepernick 08-22-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Sapps last words sum it up best.

"That's crazy".

Mav 08-22-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gochiefs(exceptQB) (Post 9906832)
Apology not accepted.

You must apologize to the entire board for deceiving us. You are an evil perverter of little Chiefs fans.

Nope. I have done no such thing. And for your lack of class, back on ignore with you.......