ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ten Things About This Morning's Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=295777)

gblowfish 11-01-2015 04:58 PM

Ten Things About This Morning's Game

Ten Things About This Morning's Game

10. I was up late last night watching the post game shows after the Royals epic World Series comeback win in New York. This was a great weekend to get the "fall back" for daylight savings time, as I haven't made a point to catch an 8:30am weekend TV program since I watched cartoons as a kid. I think Bugs Bunny came on at 8:30! Anyway, I was able to watch most of the game, as the lovely Mrs. Blowfish had plans that involved me and my ability to lift heavy objects most of the day today. So I watched the first half, listened to as much of the second half as I could in my car on the way to lift things, and came home this afternoon and watched the second half on the DVR. I was going to convert my ten things writing into "brit speak" and list all the yardage in the metric system, but frankly, I think we're all damn sick of England at this point. I'm just glad we won this mess. I will say, I think it's hilarious that we sang the National Anthem before the game, which is a song about SHOOTING AT AND KILLING THE ENGLISH. And then the Brit's sang "God Save the Queen...they mean it, man!"

9. Today was a combination of everything going right for KC, and not much going right for Detroit. I also think Detroit is a team with serious issues. I know they won eleven games last year, but they stink on ice. They've been the only NFC North team we've been able to handle, and we beat them in all phases. They've turned their offense over to "Cooter" for Chrissake. Detroit had one penalty aided field goal drive to start the game, then bupkus until Garbage Time when the game was out of hand. Chiefs had more first downs, converted 61% on third down - while Detroit was 2 of 12 on third down. Chiefs out-ran the Lions 206 to 81 -Lions only ran the ball 14 times. Chiefs had twice as many sacks 6 to 3, and Detroit had two picks, KC had none. Also for the first time since 1960, KC had four different guys rush for a TD in one game. That's pretty amazing.

8. Alex played his best game of the year. Not only did the throw for two TDs, including a nice one in tight coverage to Maclin- but also rushed for 78 yards and a TD. He played good enough that Chase Daniel even got some mop up duty...completing two passes for an amazing four yards. Jerry Jones, trade us a first rounder NOW!

7. Chiefs spread the ball around well again this week, with six different guys catching passes. Kelce and Maclin were who we thought they were, both moving the sticks and making nice TD catches. West had a nice day with four catches and rushing for just shy of 100 yards. He's done a fine job the last two weeks filling in for Charles. He's going to get a lot of very valuable playing experience this year, which will pay dividends down the road.

6. Chiefs trotted out the eighth different offensive line configuration in eight weeks. They gave up three sacks on Alex, but run blocked very well, and gave Alex generally more time to throw this week. Nice to have Jeff Allen back in the mix. We didn't miss Grubbs much. One of the sacks on Alex was on the Canadian Doc, who got beat on an inside spin move. Three guys -including Doc- took Ngata, and the Doc let Jason Jones come through totally untouched. I hate to say this, but I think our high draft choices will probably be on offensive line next year. Morse is the only decent line edition with long lasting impact from the 2015 draft. I hate drafting O-Line high, but that's what Chiefs Do.

5. Stafford got sacked six times because his O-Line is even worse than our O-Line. Parker got him twice on safety blitzes. DJ got one, Houston got a couple (and a pick), and Poe got a sack too. Nice to see Poe play well, but I think his back is still screwed up. Bailey and Howard were both pretty quiet today, but that's nit picking. Hard to bitch about giving up ten points.

4. Defensive Backs did a pretty nice job on Megatron and Tate. Neither caught a TD, and Megatron just had one long catch for 30 yards. Sean Smith did a very good job holding him in check. Parker played well today, and overall the secondary did a very good job holding Detroit to 217 yards passing. The only TD given up was a 21-yard pass in fourth quarter garbage time to Moore. It was not a big deal, because the Chiefs came right back with a TD by Spencer Ware a minute later to answer.

3. Special teams played much better today. After Detroit got three on their opening drive, Knile Davis had a great kickoff return to mid-field that set the Chiefs up for their first score with DAT. The sweep DAT scored on was well executed. DAT had a 37 yard punt return, and Colquitt averaged around 41 yards a punt, dropping three of his four attempts inside the twenty.

2. Chiefs were only penalized three times for twenty total yards, where Lions were penalized eight times, and played dirty with horse collar tackles, laying on Alex after the tackle, etc. The Chiefs seemed focused and played smart. You could tell they were the better prepared, better coached team. Detroit has a hot mess on their hands. Sucks to be them.

1. OK, so the skeptic in me says the Chiefs will play good enough this year to finish around 7-9 or 8-8; just good enough to totally F-up their draft position. I'm also glad this "playing overseas" thing is done. Let's see Denver give up a home game next year, how bout that? I also heard that KC is the first AFC West team to win an international game that counts. So I guess that's a good thing. We get a bye next week, then off to Donkey Land to face the Five Head, maybe for the last time ever.

Good Luck to the Royals tonight. It's been a great ride for us Royals fans, and there's serious work to be done to close the deal. I really hope they can end it tonight, so we can all celebrate for two full weeks before we have to get our buzz kill in Denver. So, GO ROYALS and let's celebrate a KC Championship. It's been a thirty year wait, and that's far too long.

Baby Lee 11-01-2015 04:59 PM

Man, you got back from London quick!!

Discuss Thrower 11-01-2015 05:03 PM

The Broncos cannot legally play a "home" game anywhere but Denver.

Bwana 11-01-2015 05:10 PM

Good Read George, lets hope Smith can keep playing well.

KChiefs1 11-01-2015 05:21 PM

I'm a skeptic too George as I have seen this story before. If this team goes into Denver & wins then there's a good chance that I'll buy into what this team's selling but today's game didn't give me any feeling they will make the playoffs but that they'll end up drafting in the 15-18 range again.

As a long suffering Royals fan tonight brings much anticipation but I'm cautiously optimistic as this team defies all of my KC sport phobia's.

DaneMcCloud 11-01-2015 05:24 PM

Worrying about draft position in November? Why bother watching if that's the only reason?

The Chiefs need to win as many games as possible and if they continue to play well, they'll win at least six.

They went on a 9-0 run, that many thought was improbable, back in 2013 and they can do it again, especially if the team plays with as much energy and tenacity as they showed today.

The season is far from over.

And when has draft position ever meant shit to the Chiefs, outside of the Derrick Thomas selection?

Hydrae 11-01-2015 05:27 PM

This team is close. Some weeks we see what they can do but not consistently still. Unfortunately that will probably leave us with a mid-round pick and little chance for a road playoff game.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-01-2015 05:27 PM

This next game against the Broncos is our season. Big , Big Game !

milkman 11-01-2015 05:29 PM

If this team can get any continuity on the O-Line, then I don't see a need to draft a lineman early next year.

Jeff Allen played pretty well at RT last week, and Eric Fisher played well at LT both this week and last.

The sack that LDT gave up was on a stunt, and that gets cleaned up with experience and chemistry, and LDT has improved greatly from his first 3 games.

notorious 11-01-2015 05:30 PM

I learned one thing is for certain: Kelce needs to be a Chief his entire career.

The guy will die trying to win. He went ape-shit celebrating after blocking for a TD.

New World Order 11-01-2015 05:37 PM

Another great post George. I mean, I don't think we're good but we play such a soft schedule. I think if we can somehow go 9-7 we could land the 6th seed.

milkman 11-01-2015 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 11856391)
Another great post George. I mean, I don't think we're good but we play such a soft schedule. I think if we can somehow go 9-7 we could land the 6th seed.

Just gotta love those first round playoff exits.

TEX 11-01-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 11856391)

I think the loss to the Bears realistically killed that chance.

TEX 11-01-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 11856367)
This next game against the Broncos is our season. Big , Big Game !

Yep. And of COURSE its against Denver who now get the chance to ruin our season twice in the same year.

Chromatic 11-01-2015 06:00 PM

When you ask a girl out in front of your mates and she says she has a boyfriend

https://i.imgur.com/yTDXfJZ.jpg