ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Dolphins potentially interested in Trent Green (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=158916)

Sam Hall 02-27-2007 11:00 PM

Dolphins potentially interested in Trent Green

Dolphins have potential interest in Kansas City QB Green

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted February 27 2007, 11:00 PM EST

INDIANAPOLIS -- As the Dolphins prepare to part ways with Joey Harrington, another veteran quarterback may be emerging on the team's radar.

The Dolphins would have interest in acquiring Kansas City's Trent Green if placed on the trading block by the Chiefs, a source said at the NFL Scouting Combine.

As of Tuesday, there were no indications Green is currently being dangled as trade bait by Kansas City. But should the Chiefs decide to head in a different direction at quarterback, the source said the Dolphins would entertain the possibility of trying to swing a deal.

The odds of such a scenario unfolding increased Tuesday with Kansas City re-signing quarterback Damon Huard to a three-year contract that FOX Sports reported is worth $7.5 million.

A Dolphins backup from 1997 to 2000, Huard posted a 5-3 record as a starter in 2006 while Green was sidelined with a serious concussion suffered in the season-opener against Cincinnati. When he returned to the starting lineup, Green struggled while playing in a new offense under first-year head coach Herman Edwards.

Although he became one of the AFC's top quarterbacks after his arrival in Kansas City in 2001, two other factors that may prompt the Chiefs to consider moving Green are his age - the 13-year veteran turns 37 in July -- and contract. The Kansas City Star reported Tuesday that the Chiefs are expected to ask Green to take a pay cut from his current 2007 base salary of $7.2 million.

Green would be an intriguing fit for the Dolphins, which enter the offseason with uncertainty at the quarterback position. Green played under new Dolphins coach Cam Cameron when both were with Washington from 1995 to 1998 and is familiar with the new offensive system that the latter is installing. New Dolphins quarterbacks coach Terry Shea also held that same position with the Chiefs while working with Green for four of the past five seasons.

As for Harrington, a source said he will be released later this week unless the Dolphins can trade him. That would leave Daunte Culpepper and Cleo Lemon as the team's top quarterbacks.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

Pants 02-27-2007 11:01 PM

Man, it's really going to hurt seeing Trent in a different uniform.

KcMizzou 02-27-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metrolike

Agreed. He's been a good soldier... done everything that was asked of him. If there's an NFL player you can respect, he's the one.

I'll hate to see him go, but it seems likely.

Joie 02-27-2007 11:04 PM

Mixed feelings on this one. Don't want him starting for us if it turns out like last season. But, Hell, a Dolphin?! Not sure I like that either. Can't we keep him as a backup?

Mr. Kotter 02-27-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

He's 37....don't hold your breath.

Mecca 02-27-2007 11:04 PM

Hey if someone is willing to give us something for him we should probably jump on that.

KcMizzou 02-27-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joie
Mixed feelings on this one. Don't want him starting for us if it turns out like last season. But, Hell, a Dolphin?! Not sure I like that either. Can't we keep him as a backup?

Would you want to be a backup for the Chiefs if you were him? I hope he tears up the league if he goes. (except against KC)

Mr. Kotter 02-27-2007 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
Hey if someone is willing to give us something for him we should probably jump on that.

That's the point...they won't. He ain't going nowhere at 37....

007 02-27-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

I love what Trent did for this franchise and he is a real stand up guy. However, I would agree with you on this.

Mecca 02-27-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
That's the point...they won't. He ain't going nowhere at 37....

Well if they offered anything we should probably take it considering we're going to cut the guy in another year anyway.

wutamess 02-27-2007 11:08 PM

Quote:

No it isn't.
He's worn out his welcome here.

Not entirely his fault.

boogblaster 02-27-2007 11:08 PM

Yea mixed-bag here..hate to see him leave..but he's probably done as a starter ...

KcMizzou 02-27-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wutamess
No it isn't.
He's worn out his welcome here.

Not entirely his fault.

Not with me he hasn't. I do agree that he may not fit "the plan" now, though.

Mecca 02-27-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou
Not with me he hasn't. I do agree that he may not fit "the plan" now, though.

Well if he plays here another year his brain is probably going to go to complete jello......he just isn't equiped to play behind a line that isn't top notch.

KcMizzou 02-27-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Well if he plays here another year his brain is probably going to go to complete jello......he just isn't equiped to play behind a line that isn't top notch.

Can't argue with that.