ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop How much money did CBS lose on their own ads? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269690)

Buehler445 02-04-2013 06:07 PM

How much money did CBS lose on their own ads?

How much money did CBS lose promoting their own crap shows that everybody knows about? I would argue that they don't pick up any viewership based on their stupid ass super bowl promos. But yet, they took up paying spots with that crap.

Maybe they didn't have enough commercials to fill the spots. Still, if that were the case, I would still postulate that if they lowered the rates and took more commercials in, they'd make a ****load more money than the potential increased viewership of their cruddy shows that everybody knows about anyway.

So what say you? How much revenue would they gain by toning down their self-ads?

DaFace....This one is for you buddy.

cosmo20002 02-04-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9378453)
How much money did CBS lose promoting their own crap shows that everybody knows about? I would argue that they don't pick up any viewership based on their stupid ass super bowl promos. But yet, they took up paying spots with that crap.

Maybe they didn't have enough commercials to fill the spots. Still, if that were the case, I would still postulate that if they lowered the rates and took more commercials in, they'd make a ****load more money than the potential increased viewership of their cruddy shows that everybody knows about anyway.

So what say you? How much revenue would they gain by toning down their self-ads?

DaFace....This one is for you buddy.

I imagine they know what they are doing when it comes to generating ad revenue.

Buck 02-04-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9378586)
I imagine they know what they are doing when it comes to generating ad revenue.

Not only that, but I think CBS is the #1 channel for TV shows as far as viewership goes.

I'd say they know what they are doing.

houstonwhodat 02-04-2013 06:40 PM

I don't think you understand how that works.

I used to work in TV and used to be a network switcher.

All commercial breaks, whether local or network or scheduled with promos at the end for a reason.

That way if they have to clip it because they are running late, etc. they won't have to clip a paying spot.

Any paying spot that gets clipped or goes wrong for some reason gets a makeup spot either that day or later. It's in the contract.

Next time you watch TV notice that a promo is always the last thing you see before they go back to the programming.

I'm sure they had no problem selling out their commercial spots, the Super Bowl is watched worldwide not just nationally.

RyFo18 02-04-2013 07:01 PM

There's no way to tell this seeing as it's tough to determine what amount of money the ads they ran for themselves will generate compared to what selling that ad space will generate.

That's the best non-answer I can give.

Frazod 02-04-2013 07:08 PM

Unlike Fox, most of the shows CBS plugs in games like this are actually watchable.

Buehler445 02-04-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9378591)
I don't think you understand how that works.

I used to work in TV and used to be a network switcher.

All commercial breaks, whether local or network or scheduled with promos at the end for a reason.

That way if they have to clip it because they are running late, etc. they won't have to clip a paying spot.

Any paying spot that gets clipped or goes wrong for some reason gets a makeup spot either that day or later. It's in the contract.

Next time you watch TV notice that a promo is always the last thing you see before they go back to the programming.

I'm sure they had no problem selling out their commercial spots, the Super Bowl is watched worldwide not just nationally.

Really? I don't think all the promos were right before the game started again. And my ****ing christ there were a shitload of them. You don't think there was any way to generate more revenue by replacing their ads?

chefsos 02-04-2013 07:26 PM

I noticed a lot of them, too. So, now I know CBS is America's most watched network!

It does strike me as the rough equivalent of sponsoring your own race car, though.

Frazod 02-04-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefsos (Post 9378674)
I noticed a lot of them, too. So, now I know CBS is America's most watched network!

It does strike me as the rough equivalent of sponsoring your own race car, though.

There's probably some sort of system in place where the advertisers of the pimped shows pay to have them pimped during the Super Bowl.

chefsos 02-04-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9378677)
There's probably some sort of system in place where the advertisers of the pimped shows pay to have them pimped during the Super Bowl.

*nods slowly, as this seems to make sense*

|Zach| 02-04-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9378646)
Unlike Fox, most of the shows CBS plugs in games like this are actually watchable.

If you are an old person.

DaFace 02-04-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9378661)
Really? I don't think all the promos were right before the game started again. And my ****ing christ there were a shitload of them. You don't think there was any way to generate more revenue by replacing their ads?

I actually wondered if there was any chance that the blackout actually impacted that. They didn't have any "real" ads to run, so they just started throwing out promos like crazy.

Frazod 02-04-2013 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9378696)
If you are an old person.

I guess you prefer American Idol and Undercover Boss to NCIS and Big Bang Theory, right?

scho63 02-04-2013 07:42 PM

It's my understanding that the show doing the promo gets dinged out of their ad budget and it shows up on CBS's balance sheet as revenue. It's not full boat cost but 50%

ChiefsCountry 02-04-2013 07:46 PM

A certain amount of them are built into the advertising timeslots already. That is the ones that are normally right before they come back. If you saw alot of them that is CBS filling space for unsold ad space, not just pumping their shows. Radio stations do it as well especially if they are on automation. Thats when you hear the ads for their websites and trade out ads.