ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   UCLA Game (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=181366)

chief52 03-10-2008 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelson Muntz (Post 4623526)
Well here's another example for you. Lets say the Chiefs are leading by 34 points in a Super Bowl at the start of the fourth quarter and give up 4 touchdowns in that fourth quarter leading up to this play with 1 minute left. Croyle steps back to throw and before the ball gets to the reciever, a db clearly levels the reciever while the safety picks the ball off and returns it for a touchdown, but theres no penalty called. I agree the Chiefs should have never been in that position, but is it their fault the officials missed a blatant PI call?

The way I look at it, it would be the part of the Chiefs for letting the lead slip away. You have to take responsibility for blowing the lead. There is an entire game. Taking one call, even if it is late, and blaming it for a loss is not right. There are thousands of events/calls in a game. Blaming the officials is lame. They are a part of the game.

epitome1170 03-10-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4623549)
The way I look at it, it would be the part of the Chiefs for letting the lead slip away. You have to take responsibility for blowing the lead. There is an entire game. Taking one call, even if it is late, and blaming it for a loss is not right. There are thousands of events/calls in a game. Blaming the officials is lame. They are a part of the game.

In a game you had a big lead, I would agree with you. However, in this particular game decided by the smallest margin, I will disagree. There were three blown calls all in favor of UCLA within a matter of 15 seconds. In a hard fought game it is a shame that the officials ruin it. We have seen it too many times this year.

This game just made me realize though that the PAC 10 has the worst officiating in all of the NCAA in both football and basketball.

BigRock 03-10-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Well here's another example for you. Lets say the Chiefs are leading by 34 points in a Super Bowl at the start of the fourth quarter and give up 4 touchdowns in that fourth quarter leading up to this play with 1 minute left. Croyle steps back to throw and before the ball gets to the reciever, a db clearly levels the reciever while the safety picks the ball off and returns it for a touchdown, but theres no penalty called. I agree the Chiefs should have never been in that position, but is it their fault the officials missed a blatant PI call?

You know what's sad is that's actually happened. I don't remember the exact circumstances, but Amy Trask of the Raiders once raised that issue with Paul Tagliabue, complaining about a poor referee's call that cost Oakland a game.

And Tags was like "Well, if your team hadn't turned it over three times, blah blah blah", basically taking the refs off the hook for blowing a game-deciding call.

And that logic sucks. Even if a team hadn't made a single mistake all game long, someone could just as easily say "Well, if they would have scored more points, the ref's bad call wouldn't have mattered". Or "if they hadn't let the other team score as many points, it wouldn't have mattered".

The "if" defense is BS. All that should matter is what's happening at the moment the referee makes the call.

RockChalk 03-10-2008 02:25 PM

Quote:

this is flawed...i can't foresee the chiefs ever being up 34 points with herm as coach, let alone in the super bowl

Boyceofsummer 03-10-2008 05:05 PM

I agree, if shoot from inbounds on court...................

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4622513)
I do not know why they put that rule in anyway. Why not let them throw it over from behind... It is not like it is an easy shot to make.

regardless of the back-board. The shot should count.