ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Hunting type things..... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=70919)

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm sure there will be some upset at this, but if hunting stuff bothers you, you shouldn't have opened the thread.

Well, this is definately a first for me. The first Bobcat I have ever seen long enough to be sure that is what I was looking at and the Triple Duece was able to get the job done on him. I wasn't anywhere near as excited after deer season as I was after getting this guy.

Iowanian 01-31-2005 10:56 PM

Fuggin A Preacher!

Is that one of those new Thompson Centerfires?

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian

Is that one of those new Thompson Centerfires?

No, it's my old TC contender (they've been around for years) with a 21' 222 remington barrel on it and a 3x9 Leupold scope. A REALLY sweet setup for coyotes - and the 222 has plenty of punch without tearing up the hides.

BTW, the first hit was 150+ yards off-hand.:thumb:

jspchief 01-31-2005 11:00 PM

Pretty cool. I'd like to get a shot at one of those someday.

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Pretty cool. I'd like to get a shot at one of those someday.

I had just told the guy I was with a few hours before about a draw that I thought would be great for calling cats and how I would REALLY like to get a bobcat - they aren't the easiest animals to find.

Iowanian 01-31-2005 11:01 PM

I was shopping for a heavy barrel .17 the other day, but came home with a .22 mag and a middle of the road scope. I suppose is some planeteer invites me out to whack Prairie Dogs, I'll get one of those.

I'm thinking those Thompson's are pretty cool these days.......

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:04 PM

Quote:

I was shopping for a heavy barrel .17 the other day, but came home with a .22 mag and a middle of the road scope. I suppose is some planeteer invites me out to whack Prairie Dogs, I'll get one of those.

I'm missing the Prairie Dogs. :deevee:

BTW, check this link out if you haven't already - It's what happens when a Prairie Dog and a 55gr Hornady meet...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attac...chmentid=37096

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:07 PM

Quote:

The thing I love about the Contender is the versatility. I can put the pistol grip back on and one of 4 different barrels/calibers that I have (including rimfire). And they are EXTREMELY accurate. I have a 10" bull barrel in the 222 also and I have shot 5 shots in under .5 of an inch at 100 yards with it - best group of my life.

InChiefsHeaven 01-31-2005 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH
I'm sure there will be some upset at this, but if hunting stuff bothers you, you shouldn't have opened the thread.

Well, this is definately a first for me. The first Bobcat I have ever seen long enough to be sure that is what I was looking at and the Triple Duece was able to get the job done on him. I wasn't anywhere near as excited after deer season as I was after getting this guy.

Not to take anything away from your kill, but for some reason I have always been a little wary of killing predators...unless of course they are threatening humans. Hey to each his own, it's a good looking kill.

Nice gun, btw!

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell
Not to take anything away from your kill, but for some reason I have always been a little wary of killing predators...unless of course they are threatening humans. Hey to each his own, it's a good looking kill.

Nice gun, btw!

Thanks! The particular place in question USED to have lots of quail. This year when they took me there, we found none. If there are more cats in the area (and there probably are) that could explain why the quail have dissappeared.

Chiefnj 01-31-2005 11:23 PM

What did you do with the cat?

InChiefsHeaven 01-31-2005 11:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks! The particular place in question USED to have lots of quail. This year when they took me there, we found none. If there are more cats in the area (and there probably are) that could explain why the quail have dissappeared.

I just got a mental picture of Sylvester with yellow feathers coming out of his mouth...bad puddy tat!! :)

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj
What did you do with the cat?

Have him in the freezer right now. I have to have him tagged by a game warden, then I can sell the him to a furbearer (he comes through town on Wed). They are bringing anywhere from $80-$200 down here from what I hear. This one wieghed in at around 18 lbs so I imagine it will be closer to the lower amount.

Chiefnj 01-31-2005 11:27 PM

It would look nice in a full mount swiping at a quail.

PastorMikH 01-31-2005 11:29 PM

Quote:

It would look nice in a full mount swiping at a quail.

I have had some guys mention taking it to taxidermist but I doubt I can swing the cost right now and I am sure the wife won't want it in the freezer that long.:)

stumppy 02-01-2005 12:07 AM

Quote:

Nice kill Pastor. :thumb:

I've only seen one in the wild. I was leaned up against a tree, deer hunting, it came out of some thick brush about 20 yards away, sniffed around, took a dump then headed back into the thick stuff.
I'm fortunate in that I have a nephew that does taxidermy. If I ever catch/kill any type of trophy it should cost me next to nothing.

PastorMikH 02-01-2005 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy
Nice kill Pastor. :thumb:

I've only seen one in the wild. I was leaned up against a tree, deer hunting, it came out of some thick brush about 20 yards away, sniffed around, took a dump then headed back into the thick stuff.
I'm fortunate in that I have a nephew that does taxidermy. If I ever catch/kill any type of trophy it should cost me next to nothing.

Thanks. The thought of having it mounted is appealing. Say, you wanna tell your nephew that you shot it?:D

Chiefnj 02-01-2005 12:13 AM

Quote:

I have had some guys mention taking it to taxidermist but I doubt I can swing the cost right now and I am sure the wife won't want it in the freezer that long.:)

Yeah, women have this thing against carcasses in the freezer.

stumppy 02-01-2005 12:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks. The thought of having it mounted is appealing. Say, you wanna tell your nephew that you shot it?:D

Actually he would probably do it pretty cheap. He went to taxidermy school in S. Dakota (i think) last winter and hasn't been in it long enough to really make a business out of it. The stuff I've seen of his looks top notch to me. He showed me a Bass he did, looked like it was jumping out of water chasing baitfish. He used some kind of acrylic stuff to make the water. Pretty darn cool.
I'll holler at him in the next day or so and see what he would do it for.
Never hurts to ask.

BigOlChiefsfan 02-01-2005 08:06 AM

Nice cat, Preacher.

Iowanian 02-01-2005 08:22 AM

,,,,,, isn't going to approve of your mean treatment of that kitty. You're destined for a neg rep.

PastorMikH 02-01-2005 08:40 AM

Quote:

Hello - commatard on the loose., isn't going to approve of your mean treatment of that kitty. You're destined for a neg rep.

Like I said in the post of the cat, if she doesn't approve of such things, she should stay off the thread.

chiefs4me 02-01-2005 10:28 AM

Quote:

Hello - commatard on the loose., isn't going to approve of your mean treatment of that kitty. You're destined for a neg rep.

I don't mind kills like this one. My brother hunts all the time. He has a stuffed bobcat that he killed. If I can find the picture I will post it. I don't like senseless killing, or just for sport. People who shoot kitty's and birds just because they can are the ones I have a problem with.:)

chiefs4me 02-01-2005 10:31 AM

Quote:

I don't like the name you have attached to me,,can you call me Cathy or chiefs4me. please :p

Iowanian 02-01-2005 10:40 AM

I just typed ",,,," what on earth makes you think thats about you?

I've just bought a new rifle and sited it in..I can't wait to see if it'll take the head off of a bluejay at 70 yards.

yunghungwell 02-01-2005 10:43 AM

Blue jays are the devil. Not to mention, Toronto sucks.

chiefs4me 02-01-2005 10:59 AM

Quote:

I just typed ",,,," what on earth makes you think thats about you?

I've just bought a new rifle and sited it in..I can't wait to see if it'll take the head off of a bluejay at 70 yards.

Why stop there,,why not shoot a couple of bunnies and maybe a redbird? But if you shoot the redbird,,your summer will never come.ROFL

yunghungwell 02-01-2005 11:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
,,,,You have tried to hijack this thread a number of times. Why don't you just have a tall glass of "shut the hell up"? Let a few football fans who also happen to enjoy hunting have their little sidebar thread and go spew you bile in some other thread. There usually is plenty of feces to be flung around the DC forum.

ptlyon 02-01-2005 12:19 PM

I just realized in looking through this thread I never posted a pic of the bear I shot with my bow up in SK last May.

Darn - the file is too big, won't upload.

Iowanian 02-01-2005 12:29 PM

resize the file in irfanview. I'd lahk ta see that Baaar.

ptlyon 02-01-2005 12:30 PM

Quote:

resize the file in irfanview.

What be that?

I think I sent you a pic when I got back if I'm not mistaken.

e_train69 02-01-2005 12:36 PM

Speaking of cats.

When I bought the house I live in now from this old man, he had about 40 cats living around the place. They were nasty, imbred, mangy creatures. He moved and left them all there. For 2 straight weeks all I did was shoot cats. I didn't consider it senseless killings either. These type creatures will spread disease and eat you out of house and home. Plus it was a good excuse to have some fun!

Have you ever seen how high a cat will jump with a .22 bullet to the skull.

e_train69 02-01-2005 12:39 PM

By the way, any deer hunters out there that have ever used the Lone Wolf climbing stand. I just bought one off e-bay, and it seems pretty nice. Can't wait til Oct. to try it out.

Iowanian 02-01-2005 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon
What be that?

I think I sent you a pic when I got back if I'm not mistaken.

you can download a program called "irfanview" from download.com

its a basic image viewer that has a very easy to use "resize/resample" tool.

If you email me the pic, I'll resize and throw it up for you.

ptlyon 02-01-2005 02:16 PM

Email sent

bogie 02-01-2005 02:30 PM

Quote:

No, it's my old TC contender (they've been around for years) with a 21' 222 remington barrel on it and a 3x9 Leupold scope. A REALLY sweet setup for coyotes - and the 222 has plenty of punch without tearing up the hides.

BTW, the first hit was 150+ yards off-hand.:thumb:

I bought a TC close to 20 years ago. Pistol grip with a 14" 44 mag. barrel. I've always loved it. The interchangeable barrels was/is a great concept.

PastorMikH 02-01-2005 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs4me
But if you shoot the redbird,,your summer will never come.ROFL

Oh hogwash. I've shot lots of redbirds and summer always gets here.:)

Iowanian 02-01-2005 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is PtLyon's bear.
-I'll email the pics to you when Bill Gates' email program isn't being dicky.

ptlyon 02-01-2005 02:36 PM

Thanx Dawg. I am one handsome MOFO ain't I?

chiefs4me 02-01-2005 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yunghungwell
,,,,You have tried to hijack this thread a number of times. Why don't you just have a tall glass of "shut the hell up"? Let a few football fans who also happen to enjoy hunting have their little sidebar thread and go spew you bile in some other thread. There usually is plenty of feces to be flung around the DC forum.

I will go anywhere on this board I please to until I am banned. I also am conversing with Iowanian and the Pastor. So bug off little one,,:harumph:

InChiefsHeaven 02-02-2005 06:05 PM

That's just funny...

chiefs4me 02-02-2005 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell
Hello - commatard on the loose.
That's just funny...

Glad I could enlighten your day.:rolleyes:

Iowanian 02-02-2005 07:03 PM

go spam another thread, please.

mlyonsd 02-02-2005 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon
Thanx Dawg. I am one handsome MOFO ain't I?

:Lin: Happy B-day fugtard. Consider this your card.

ptlyon 02-03-2005 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd
:Lin: Happy B-day fugtard. Consider this your card.

Thanks Dick

PastorMikH 02-03-2005 09:55 AM

Say Stumpy, did you get a chance yet to talk to your nephew yet about how much it would cost to have the cat stuffed?

ptlyon 02-03-2005 09:57 AM

Quote:

Say Stumpy, did you get a chance yet to talk to your nephew yet about how much it would cost to have the cat stuffed?

"Hey! Nice Beaver!"
"Thanks. I just had it stuffed yesterday."

yunghungwell 08-29-2005 08:09 PM

Thought that a few of you might like to know, we glassed the area that we bow hunt last Saturday night and saw a couple of pretty nice bucks. One was a nice 8 or maybe 10 pointer still in velvet. Of course that makes him look more massive, but still a nice deer. Only about a month until bow season starts here.

Duck Dog 08-29-2005 08:30 PM

Early goose season starts next week here. It's been a long 6 months.

jspchief 08-29-2005 08:43 PM

It's going to be a rough bow season for me. The last of the land I used to hunt has been sold for the development, and the new owners won't let me hunt it even though it won't be developed for years to come.

Looks like I'll be taking the year off unless something falls in my lap. Hunting ground is getting very tough to come by. Out of state hunters have brought in enough money that you can't find the farmers that will let you hunt their land for free (or maybe a bit of meat).

I have a feeling it won't be long before it's like Texas where if you don't own land, you're hunting on a damn game farm.

Duck Dog 08-29-2005 08:50 PM

Public lands can be gold mines for bow hunters. It's getting pretty bad in a lot of states, with all the hunting leases. I hunt 5 different states each year and I see it happening more and more. Lease or buy what you can now before it gets too expensive.

Iowanian 08-29-2005 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yunghungwell
Thought that a few of you might like to know, we glassed the area that we bow hunt last Saturday night and saw a couple of pretty nice bucks. One was a nice 8 or maybe 10 pointer still in velvet. Of course that makes him look more massive, but still a nice deer. Only about a month until bow season starts here.

Thats good to know.......I'll be down to kill "him" in about 8 weeks.

MOhillbilly 09-07-2005 02:40 PM

Missouri Bow season is gettin close. Been feeding outta plots and licks for 2.5 years now.
wish me luck.

But what i really wanna know is where can i get a majestic tree hound?
Or a hot sniffin hound in the SW mo area for coons?
-----------------------------------------------------------------

yuck it up.katty mother****ers.

PastorMikH 09-07-2005 02:52 PM

It's kinda hard to get excited about hunting with gas prices the way they are. It may be an interesting year for hunting with me doing things a bit differently - like taking off a couple of days in a row and doing some all day hunting and camping instead of driving back and forth to home every day (or twice a day).

Calcountry 09-07-2005 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Dog
My favorite part of bird hunting. Great dog work makes for great times.

Take a supply of this Dog Roll food. Highly nutritious. The dog will think you are giving him steak.

Best part is you can cut it into baggies for easy packing.

http://http://www.naturalbalanceinc....s/DFRolls.html

Iowanian 09-07-2005 03:18 PM

A friend came in today with trail cam results.....with 1 suprise....small bucks, does, and a decent buck with a unicorn horn.......and about a 150lb Pig....Black and wild looking. Not sure if its an escaped domestic, or one of the russians that has been turned loose not far away, migrating a few miles.

Get those bows tuned and start shooting regularly.

bogie 09-07-2005 03:42 PM

Oh how badly I miss my home this time of year! :sulk:

Iowanian 09-30-2005 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Iowa Bow season opens in the morning. I'm not hunting for another 2-3 weeks because of folaige and I want to wait for pre-rut.

In the mean time.....I've been working on a rustic table for my "man room"....the place I keep my guns, dead stuff, watch football and say dirty words.

Its made from a cable spool, 3" firm foam and canvas. I think it turned out alright.

Bowser 09-30-2005 08:30 PM

Quote:

Iowa Bow season opens in the morning. I'm not hunting for another 2-3 weeks because of folaige and I want to wait for pre-rut.

In the mean time.....I've been working on a rustic table for my "man room"....the place I keep my guns, dead stuff, watch football and say dirty words.

Its made from a cable spool, 3" firm foam and canvas. I think it turned out alright.

Yep, that definitely looks like man room material. Did Brideowanian give you the :rolleyes: when she saw it? And did you explain how easy it would be to clean up beer spills on it?

Bwana 09-30-2005 08:36 PM

Quote:

Iowanian, I would be proud to sit in that room and drink numerous beers. :thumb:

Iowanian 09-30-2005 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser
Did Brideowanian give you the :rolleyes: when she saw it? And did you explain how easy it would be to clean up beer spills on it?

Hell no. I have complete control of the Man room.

She said she liked it.

I'll be hanging a tree stand in my yard tomorrow and throwing some arrows.

Bwana...bring your ass to Iowania...and there will be some in the fridge.....and probably a jar or two of apple pie.

Bwana 09-30-2005 08:46 PM

Quote:

Bwana...bring your ass to Iowania...and there will be some in the fridge.....and probably a jar or two of apple pie.

I'll tell you what, sooner or later I will. With this new gig, I end up all over the country. I'm in Arizona next week. :hmmm: Just keep a space on the bass pond for me and a cold beer partner. :thumb:

Chiefnj 10-02-2005 06:46 AM

Deer 1
Chiefnj 0

RedDread 10-02-2005 06:48 AM

Quote:

Deer 1
Chiefnj 0

Is there any way a deer could actually win?

Bwana 10-02-2005 07:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread

They can get mean during rut and evidently with little oriental kids. :)

Rukdafaidas 10-02-2005 07:21 AM

Several years ago I was hunting with a friend and he gave me one of those artificial doe in heat wafers. He told me to go ahead and use it, but to bring it back after we hunted.
I had this damn thing in my pocket, walking back to the truck, in the dark. I could see a bunch of deer out in the field I was walking next to and one came running towards me. Turns out it was a buck wanting to get a little. It got about 15 feet from me and I was scared shitless. All I could see was basically an outline of the deer jumping back and forth grunting and stamping it's feet.
I was hunting with a bow and there's no way I could have hit it, so I started yelling and jumping around myself. It worked, the buck eventually ran away. But, you'll never catch me walking around in the dark with doe-in-heat in my pocket again.

Bwana 10-02-2005 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rukdafaidas
Several years ago I was hunting with a friend and he gave me one of those artificial doe in heat wafers. He told me to go ahead and use it, but to bring it back after we hunted.
I had this damn thing in my pocket, walking back to the truck, in the dark. I could see a bunch of deer out in the field I was walking next to and one came running towards me. Turns out it was a buck wanting to get a little. It got about 15 feet from me and I was scared shitless. All I could see was basically an outline of the deer jumping back and forth grunting and stamping it's feet.
I was hunting with a bow and there's no way I could have hit it, so I started yelling and jumping around myself. It worked, the buck eventually ran away. But, you'll never catch me walking around in the dark with doe-in-heat in my pocket again.

Yeah, that could have been a very bad night. ROFL I have never tried any of those things and after reading this, I may have to take a pass in the future.

Chiefnj 10-02-2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread

They won yesterday and stayed alive.

Iowanian 10-20-2005 04:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bow season is in full swing in Iowania...I've only been out once..and saw "the buck" my clan has been after for now 3 years....300 yards from the stand as I was walking in. 10 point monster.

My brother found a rack today, of a buck we both saw on another farm last year and hunted for the last 2....guess we won't get him.

obviously the coyotes and Mice have had at him a little. these Idaho deer are sure big...head west young men.

Delano 10-20-2005 04:29 PM

Quote:

Bow season is in full swing in Iowania...I've only been out once..and saw "the buck" my clan has been after for now 3 years....300 yards from the stand as I was walking in. 10 point monster.

My brother found a rack today, of a buck we both saw on another farm last year and hunted for the last 2....guess we won't get him.

obviously the coyotes and Mice have had at him a little. these Idaho deer are sure big...head west young men.

Of course you have a little kid holding the head so it looks bigger.

My pappy just got back from trying to fill his bull elk tag out in Custer county, SD. He didn't see a single elk due to the heat wave but he found a nice skull and rack that is in pretty good shape. I will miss that great pickled elk meat that we had for the last few years though.

Saulbadguy 10-20-2005 04:31 PM

I'd like to go hunting some day. I just don't know anyone around these parts that do it, plus I don't have any of the equipment to do so. Nor a license. Heh.

Delano 10-20-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy
I'd like to go hunting some day. I just don't know anyone around these parts that do it, plus I don't have any of the equipment to do so. Nor a license. Heh.

Hunting is a huge business up here in SD. If you want to hunt pheasants there are many outfitters and guides that can get you set up for a fee.. if you are really interested. It'd be like hunting tame birds in most cases, but it's still fun for someone who has never done it before. Otherwise, get a gun, get a license and troll the ditches for birds.

Bwana 10-29-2005 04:53 PM

I'm going out tomorrow to take Jr after his first deer. I didn't want him shooting my 300 Ultramag so I invested in a Sako 7MM-08 and hung a Leupold 3x10x50 on it. It is my gun, but he can use it. :)

Two days after I bought it, I was talking to a guy and he said, "you should have called me first, I had a deal for you." He had a .270 with a scope he was willing to let go for $200 that had had less than a box of shells through it. Needless to say, I went over to his house yesterday and handed him two one hundred dollar bills. He claimed it "shot like shit and couldn't hit anything."

When I took everything out in the boonies yesterday to site in, I didn't know what to expect. I can tell you this, the Ruger .270 had the factory 8 pound pull on the trigger which sucks like a shop vac. I installed a Timney trigger on my 300 Ultramag a few years ago and I have it set and one and a half pounds. Try going from a 1 1/2 trigger to an eight pound. I shot my laser finder out 100 yards, set up some targets and grabbed the .270 with the POS Simmons 3x9 scope. (Why the hell would ANYONE hang a Simmons on a 270?) I would rather have a POS gun and a nice scope than the other way around. At least you are going to hit something. Anyhow, I line it up, BOOM! check spotting scope.........nothing....WTF? BOOM..........nothing on the paper yet again. :cuss: I ended up having to lay the thing across my jeep, taking aim and lifting my head to see where it was going. Two feet high and a foot to the right. No wonder this poor bastard couldn't hit a deer with it. :shake: (Who sited this in, Stevie fuggen Wonder?) It took me damn near two boxes of shells to get it two inches high, dead center at a hundred yards. (Dead nuts at 300 yards) Next the 7MM-08, hey, at least it was hitting paper. 12 shots and it was 2 inches high at 100 yards. Next the 300, now by this time my shoulder felt like hamburger. BOOM! wince, shit that hurt! Two inches high at 100. Boom! same thing, Boom! same thing. You could cover the three shots with a dime. Note to self, bore site new guns owned by Helen Keller before heading to the hills next time.

So that's my story, anyone killing anything?

PastorMikH 10-29-2005 06:36 PM

Wow Bwana $200 for a Ruger 270? That's a deal - even if you had to take the simmons with it.

FWIW, I always start off at 25 yards on a new gun or when I've had a scope off. Get it zeroed then move to 100 yds.

Also, here's a neat tip from Jim Carmicheal on 2 shot site-ins. Put the gun in a good rest, aim at the bullseye, and shoot. Put it back in the rest and hold. Hold the crosshairs on the bullseye again and have a buddy adjust the scope until the crosshairs are on the previous bullet hole. Shoot again and you should be dead on.

chiefs4me 10-29-2005 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwana
I'm going out tomorrow to take Jr after his first deer. I didn't want him shooting my 300 Ultramag so I invested in a Sako 7MM-08 and hung a Leupold 3x10x50 on it. It is my gun, but he can use it. :)

Two days after I bought it, I was talking to a guy and he said, "you should have called me first, I had a deal for you." He had a .270 with a scope he was willing to let go for $200 that had had less than a box of shells through it. Needless to say, I went over to his house yesterday and handed him two one hundred dollar bills. He claimed it "shot like shit and couldn't hit anything."

When I took everything out in the boonies yesterday to site in, I didn't know what to expect. I can tell you this, the Ruger .270 had the factory 8 pound pull on the trigger which sucks like a shop vac. I installed a Timney trigger on my 300 Ultramag a few years ago and I have it set and one and a half pounds. Try going from a 1 1/2 trigger to an eight pound. I shot my laser finder out 100 yards, set up some targets and grabbed the .270 with the POS Simmons 3x9 scope. (Why the hell would ANYONE hang a Simmons on a 270?) I would rather have a POS gun and a nice scope than the other way around. At least you are going to hit something. Anyhow, I line it up, BOOM! check spotting scope.........nothing....WTF? BOOM..........nothing on the paper yet again. :cuss: I ended up having to lay the thing across my jeep, taking aim and lifting my head to see where it was going. Two feet high and a foot to the right. No wonder this poor bastard couldn't hit a deer with it. :shake: (Who sited this in, Stevie fuggen Wonder?) It took me damn near two boxes of shells to get it two inches high, dead center at a hundred yards. (Dead nuts at 300 yards) Next the 7MM-08, hey, at least it was hitting paper. 12 shots and it was 2 inches high at 100 yards. Next the 300, now by this time my shoulder felt like hamburger. BOOM! wince, shit that hurt! Two inches high at 100. Boom! same thing, Boom! same thing. You could cover the three shots with a dime. Note to self, bore site new guns owned by Helen Keller before heading to the hills next time.

So that's my story, anyone killing anything?

They are not killing, they are hunting...:D

onescrewleftuntwisted 10-29-2005 07:26 PM

i am into squirrel, rabbit, quail, pheasant.

i will use eather my old ruger .22, or my 20 gauge, they both work well but the .22 reloads alot faster

and as far as dogs go i use two jack russels, all i got to do is nock the squirrel out of the tree they catch it kill it an bring it back to me, and most of the time don't have to shoot the rabbits them dogs will catchem and killem. not the greatest bird dogs, but i'm working on that.

Iowanian 10-29-2005 07:36 PM

I spent the day in the timber....in the wind with a cold. Saw nothing but turkeys from my honeyhole stand.

This afternoon, Yunghungwell and I went timberhopping to try to rattle in a bruiser. No succes.

It supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'll be sitting in it, 30 minutes before first light. Tommorrow is my day........or the day after.

I can think of alot worse ways to spend an afternoon that to be in the woods in a tree, listening to bucks you never see fight.

Rutt in 1 week is my estimate..Some bucks are on does, but they need another glass of wine or something first.

Bwana 10-29-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

I spent the day in the timber....in the wind with a cold. Saw nothing but turkeys from my honeyhole stand.

This afternoon, Yunghungwell and I went timberhopping to try to rattle in a bruiser. No succes.

It supposed to rain tomorrow, and I'll be sitting in it, 30 minutes before first light. Tommorrow is my day........or the day after.

I can think of alot worse ways to spend an afternoon that to be in the woods in a tree, listening to bucks you never see fight.

Rutt in 1 week is my estimate..Some bucks are on does, but they need another glass of wine or something first.

It is going to be raining tomorrow here as well, but what the hay. I could care less and it will put a little hair on the youngster. I already told him I am only bringing one bullet so make it count. :evil: In reality, I have a box and a half for my Sako in the event something happens like a scope knock, but you can drill nails with that gun. if he shoots and the monster buck runs off, it's not the gun. :)

onescrewleftuntwisted 10-29-2005 08:25 PM

when it rains the leaves dont make as much noise when you walk

Bwana 10-29-2005 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onescrewleftuntwisted
when it rains the leaves dont make as much noise when you walk

Exactly and it's not as loud when the hairy forest creature hits the dirt. :)