ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Please God Stop Fantasy Football Segments (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278136)

Dayze 10-30-2013 11:51 PM

It's from the movie Airplane

RealSNR 10-30-2013 11:52 PM

Seriously? That shit looks like Robin Williams.

I was going to guess Death to Smoochy.

Dayze 10-30-2013 11:54 PM

I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

Hammock Parties 10-30-2013 11:56 PM

It's pretty weird that a stat geek like myself has 0 interest in fantasy sports.

Dayze 10-30-2013 11:58 PM

Over the course of playing for a good 10 years, I found i was less and less interested in teams actually winning or losing. I was simply interested in 'points'.

...which sucked.

TinyEvel 10-31-2013 12:00 AM

When I was in College (1990) It was the very beginning of the development of fantasy. Back then it was Rotisserie baseball in the MLB. And there was obviously no internet, so guys would sit around the fraternity house with newspapers, charts, pencils, other stacks of paper and charts, and sit there for HOURS planning and administering that shit. It blew my mind. Thought it was such a waste of time.

One day, a player got hurt in the middle of the day during the week. This guy Mike who had him on his team hurried over to campus and caught another dude in the league who had his eyes on that now-injured player coming out of class. Mike offered that payer up for trade. That dude agreed to the trade (he had no idea of the injury news) and thye literally came to blows in a fight after that guy found out what was up.

life before the internet and cel phones.

AussieChiefsFan 10-31-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10143174)
I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

LMAO

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10143181)
Over the course of playing for a good 10 years, I found i was less and less interested in teams actually winning or losing. I was simply interested in 'points'.

...which sucked.

Does that matter (assuming you don't mean the Chiefs)?

I mean, I have a couple FF teams, but don't put too much time into either. I check my lineup and the waiver wire before each Sunday, just stuff like that. Nothing too in-depth.

Ceej 10-31-2013 12:07 AM

As a guy who is in currently four $$ leagues I get the dislike.

I enjoy it because the live drafts are usually great -- it allows me to catch up with guys I haven't seen in awhile since I moved.

It also is my way of gambling.

It also allows me to appreciate/watch games I wouldn't have otherwise. There's nothing wrong with getting drunk on too much football.

AussieChiefsFan 10-31-2013 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ceej (Post 10143187)
As a guy who is in currently four $$ leagues I get the dislike.

I enjoy it because the live drafts are usually great -- it allows me to catch up with guys I haven't seen in awhile since I moved.

It also is my way of gambling.

It also allows me to appreciate/watch games I wouldn't have otherwise. There's nothing wrong with getting drunk on too much football.

If I knew people here in Australia who played FF, I think I'd be much more into it.

cosmo20002 10-31-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 10143128)
I enjoy setting my lineup and playing the game throughout the season. Especially when something is on the line, like money.

...but I never tune in for "fantasy analysis" or listen to "experts". The analytical side of it has gotten way too far, IMO. I do my own analysis and decision-making then let the chips fall where they may.

My Sundays are still completely reliant on the Chiefs winning or losing. The fantasy aspects come in a distant second.

This.
It's basically gambling + makes the other games more fun to watch.
With maybe a rare exception, I bench any fantasy guys that are playing against the Chiefs.

TinyEvel 10-31-2013 12:16 AM

My "fantasy team" is 8-0.

:D

cosmo20002 10-31-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10143171)
Seriously? That shit looks like Robin Williams.

I was going to guess Death to Smoochy.

Wha? Lloyd Bridges from Airplane? I didn't know it was possible to not know that. :shake:

Phobia 10-31-2013 12:20 AM

I quit playing many years back. I do not miss it whatsoever.

Trakkk 10-31-2013 12:23 AM

I agree, and now they spam the bottom bar with fantasy points, annoying as hell. Now, if they did one on gambling I wouldnt mind.

listopencil 10-31-2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10143177)
It's pretty weird that a stat geek like myself has 0 interest in fantasy sports.

The FF stats are meaningless. I think that's why. In the real NFL you can look at stats of individuals on your team and compare them to the same position on other teams, or to other players of the same position on your team. Then when you watch your team play you can get a feel for why those players are hitting those numbers. You can even get a hunch and go digging through stats to see if there is anything to your opinion. FF stats are worthless to anyone who roots for a particular team.