ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals 2012 Kansas City Royals Repository Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=254372)

BigMeatballDave 09-03-2012 02:52 PM

How does everyone feel about the way Washington is handling Strasburg?

I think they are making a HORRIBLE mistake.

They should have started skipping his starts so they could have him for the post season.

Fansy the Famous Bard 09-03-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8874501)
How does everyone feel about the way Washington is handling Strasburg?

I think they are making a HORRIBLE mistake.

They should have started skipping his starts so they could have him for the post season.

tough situation. If it was Dayton he'd probably pitch him on 3 days rest for the remainder of the year to get the injury out of the way. LMAO

tk13 09-03-2012 03:00 PM

Hopefully Washington knows what they're doing. I don't know... I think they should've skipped some starts earlier. It's not every year you have the best record in baseball. There are no guarantees of next year.

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8874517)
Hopefully Washington knows what they're doing. I don't know... I think they should've skipped some starts earlier. It's not every year you have the best record in baseball. There are no guarantees of next year.

Exactly. They could have cut his innings after the break.

They're 30 games over. Having him skip 5 starts from mid-July to October could have given them ~30 innings to work with in the post season.

I'd be FURIOUS if I were a Senators fan.

Jenson71 09-04-2012 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8875957)

They're 30 games over. Having him skip 5 starts from mid-July to October could have given them ~30 innings to work with in the post season.

You're old.

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 8875962)
You're old.

Possibly.

Not sure what it has to do with that post.

mr. tegu 09-04-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 8874517)

They did the same thing last season with Zimmerman and it has paid off this season. It's just that no one noticed last year because of his name and the record.

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8876057)
They did the same thing last season with Zimmerman and it has paid off this season. It's just that no one noticed last year because of his name and the record.

I understand that you go with what works, but they weren't headed for post season play.
They should have adjusted.
I'm just a lowly baseball fan, what do I know?

duncan_idaho 09-04-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8875957)

1) What do the Senators have to do with this? They're a hockey team. :p

2) If I were a Nationals fan, the only way to look at this is my team is trying to set itself up to win MULTIPLE pennants and World Series. I'm OK with that.

This is also part of the reason the Nationals did the one-year deal with Edwin Jackson. They knew they'd be shutting down or limiting Stras at some point. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson and Ross Detwiler is still probably the best overall rotation in the postseason, certainly in the National League. The Giants aren't as deep (unless Lincecum becomes his old self).

That team is so young - Michael Morse is the only siginificant piece who has reached age 30 - playing for a dynasty makes sense.

Now, I will say this... I thnk the Nationals could have taken a more creative approach with Stras. Maybe not shutting him down midseason, but instead using a six-man rotation or limiting his innings/pitch count per game. Or both.

But protecting Stras' future makes sense. They have the financials to keep him for 15 years. Making sure he stays healthy over that period is smart, IMO.

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 8876113)
1) What do the Senators have to do with this? They're a hockey team. :p

2) If I were a Nationals fan, the only way to look at this is my team is trying to set itself up to win MULTIPLE pennants and World Series. I'm OK with that.

This is also part of the reason the Nationals did the one-year deal with Edwin Jackson. They knew they'd be shutting down or limiting Stras at some point. Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmermann, Edwin Jackson and Ross Detwiler is still probably the best overall rotation in the postseason, certainly in the National League. The Giants aren't as deep (unless Lincecum becomes his old self).

That team is so young - Michael Morse is the only siginificant piece who has reached age 30 - playing for a dynasty makes sense.

Now, I will say this... I thnk the Nationals could have taken a more creative approach with Stras. Maybe not shutting him down midseason, but instead using a six-man rotation or limiting his innings/pitch count per game. Or both.

But protecting Stras' future makes sense. They have the financials to keep him for 15 years. Making sure he stays healthy over that period is smart, IMO.

:facepalm: I cannot believe I actually typed Senators LMAO
I'll blame it on all the political stuff going on. :D

Dartgod 09-04-2012 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8876133)
:facepalm: I cannot believe I actually typed Senators LMAO

You're old.

BigMeatballDave 09-04-2012 10:02 AM

LMAO
Quote:

Originally Posted by Literature (Post 8875962)
You're old.

This makes sense now.

Unsmooth-Moment 09-04-2012 10:15 AM

After it looked like Washington was clearly going to be in the playoffs the Nats should have moved him to the #5 starter.. Anytime there is a off day you skip his start.. They have handled his innings very bad. Also, if you are on a innings cap why do you let the kid pitch in the all star game?

Unsmooth-Moment 09-04-2012 10:15 AM

After it looked like Washington was clearly going to be in the playoffs the Nats should have moved him to the #5 starter.. Anytime there is a off day you skip his start.. They have handled his innings very bad. Also, if you are on a innings cap why do you let the kid pitch in the all star game?

gblowfish 09-04-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 8876134)
You're old.

Washington SHOULD have called their team the Senators. The Royals should be named the Monarchs.