ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Calling Florida (or traveling) CP Members (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269226)

Tactical Funky 01-24-2013 12:24 AM

I'm relocating to Jacksonville in March. Should I be worried about all the stuff I've read about Florida on here? Or are the beaches and scenery in general worth living amongst bath salt zombies?

On a more relevant note, I visited St. Pete years back and recall the beaches being spectacular. Not saying the beaches to the east where I'll soon be residing aren't nice, but there's just something about soft, white sand under your feet and betwixt your toes...

redsurfer11 01-24-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tactical Funky (Post 9346455)
I'm relocating to Jacksonville in March. Should I be worried about all the stuff I've read about Florida on here? Or are the beaches and scenery in general worth living amongst bath salt zombies?

On a more relevant note, I visited St. Pete years back and recall the beaches being spectacular. Not saying the beaches to the east where I'll soon be residing aren't nice, but there's just something about soft, white sand under your feet and betwixt your toes...

The beaches in Jax are like walking on concrete. This type of shoreline goes from Jax down past Daytona. It hurts to walk on with bare feet. Cocoa Beach and south has soft sand.

DaKCMan AP 01-24-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 58-4ever (Post 9346022)
Thanks BRC, the info would be much appreciated. We are flexible on timing. I was thinking late April until the end of May or so. Probably for about 4-5 nights. Is the area good too or is it strictly a beach destination? I'm fine with the latter, but the more options, the better.

Can't I just fly into Tampa and take a cab in? Maps say it's only about 28 miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9346401)
The beaches are why people come to St. Pete. They do have Bush Gardens here. It's a huge park. Orlando, Disney, Universal, Sea World about an hour away.

Siesta Key is the #1 beach in the world. Thats a day trip to sarasota.

You can stay on St. Pete Beach pretty cheap before schools get out.

Clearwater beach is another top beach on everyones list.

Ft. Desoto beach is also on a lot of beach lists as the #1 beach in the USA. It's a state park only $5 to get in.

We love PASS-A-GRILLE beach also. It's where the locals go, park right by the beach and go.

Thats 4 days at the beach right there.

There is always something going on at the beaches, festivals etc. Go to the tampabay.com/thingstodo and see whats happening on the 4-5 days you are looking to visit.

The beaches in the Clearwater-St. Pete area are Awesome. I grew up on the east coast in South FL and I like the beaches on the west coast much better.

There are plenty of other things to do in Tampa/St Pete if you don't want to spend all day at the beach. BRC mentioned Busch Gardens - it's a great theme park in Tampa. Near Busch Gardens is a Yuengling Brewery that offers tours. Not too far from either is a Big Cat Rescue that's pretty cool and offers a nice tour.

In St. Pete there are some really great museums if you're into art. The Salvador Dali museum is Awesome. There's also the Morean Arts Center that has a Chihuly exhibit, glass studio & hot shop, and a center for clay. There are several small galleries along central avenue in St. Pete. You could always drive 45mins south to Sarasota and check out the Ringling Bros Museum, mansion, and gardens which is actually pretty interesting.

Depending upon when you visit you can catch a Bucs, Rays, or Lightning game. During spring training the Orioles, Pirates, Phillies, Blue Jays, and Yankees are all within the area. There are plenty of bars/restaurants in downtown St. Pete, the Hyde Park area in Tampa, or along the beaches (St. Pete or Clearwater).

Lprechaun 01-24-2013 06:45 AM

I'm 10 minutes from Siesta Key currently ranked number one beach in the US AGAIN I believe

BigRedChief 01-24-2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lprechaun (Post 9346608)
I'm 10 minutes from Siesta Key currently ranked number one beach in the US AGAIN I believe

And deservedly so.:thumb: