ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones clearly has eyes on the future (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=323590)

Stargazer 06-26-2019 07:48 AM

Chris Jones clearly has eyes on the future

Following latest comments, this could get a bit messier than I had previously thought.

https://gasnsports.com/chris-jones

Eleazar 06-26-2019 07:51 AM

Great player, proven commodity, no character issues, no injury issues, at a premium position. Pay the man.

Rain Man 06-26-2019 08:00 AM

I'm wondering if he misunderstood the one-day contract comment that was aimed toward Hali, and was simply saying that he still has a decade to play.

Either that, or he was just saying that he's not looking forward to training camp starting.

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm not seeing negative omens here.

ptlyon 06-26-2019 08:03 AM

Not going to read it, but if RM says it, I believe it is so.

Prison Bitch 06-26-2019 08:03 AM

Why is it a “premium position”?

No it’s not.

tatorhog 06-26-2019 08:07 AM

Just pay him, he's good.

We shouldn't have dropped down to the 2nd round to take him. Should have just taken him at 28 instead of 37, and had that extra year of cheapie pay.

Skyy God 06-26-2019 08:11 AM

Chris Jones appears to have contracted a mild case of EB29 spirit-itus.

AdolfOliverBush 06-26-2019 08:16 AM

He's the 2nd best interior lineman in the league, and the best player on this defense until someone else proves otherwise. Pay him.

Sorce 06-26-2019 08:19 AM

Don't overpay him, Chiefs have leverage here, let him play his contract fine him for every day he's not there, let him be a RFA see if the market wants to pay him for sitting most of a year.

In58men 06-26-2019 08:24 AM

Maybe Veach is waiting to extend Jones until this Hill shit is over so he can structure both new contracts around each other?

Possible?

staylor26 06-26-2019 08:28 AM

Ummm...

He’s literally saying he’s not in a rush to get to retirement. That’s it.

TomBarndtsTwin 06-26-2019 08:32 AM

Meh.

It's been reported on here several different times, from various sources, that he HAS to report to training camp by Aug. 6th (due to being on a rookie deal) or he loses an accrued season and would be a restricted FA after this season rather than a standard FA.

He may not show TILL then, but he'll be there . . . . . . . and play his butt off this year because he clearly wants to get paid the big money.

Not worried at all. He'll be balling out again this year on a cheap price tag if they don't get a deal done.

Sorce 06-26-2019 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14322814)
Maybe Veach is waiting to extend Jones until this Hill shit is over so he can structure both new contracts around each other?

Possible?

I think it's likely that Jones wants Frank Clark money for one good year. The Chiefs were hoping to give him less to get him his money earlier and he isn't seeing it that way.

His options are:
1) Not play, lose the year he's in the same spot next season.
2) Not play till week 10, become RFA hope he played well enough in that 6 weeks to get a big contract that the Chiefs have the option to match or get draft compensation.
3) Take less get guaranteed money and play.
4) Show up and play this season become an UFA and sign somewhere else or get tagged.

The Chiefs have the leverage here, if he plays hardball I think he loses.

ThyKingdomCome15 06-26-2019 08:36 AM

We were just about to ink Hill, we traded for and paid Clark, and we kinda left Jones on the back burner. I'm sure he isn't feeling the love right now.

A question I have is does Veach and company value Clark more than Jones? I will say Clark had 14 sacks with half the supporting cast of Jones. Clark was all the Seahawks had.

Another question I have is what's the chances of Chiefs franchising Jones and trading him like they did Ford? It would not shock me if a team signed Jones off the tag, alas two first round picks.

KC kid 06-26-2019 08:41 AM

He has to play. He has no leverage this year. If he wants guaranteed money early, it has to come at a discount. This is pretty simple.