ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Used car buying poll (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271064)

007 03-12-2013 07:50 PM

Used car buying poll

When buying a used car, do you buy it and have it checked out later or do you pay to have mechanic inspect it before you drive it away.

SAUTO 03-12-2013 07:54 PM

I have a mechanic look it all over.

And I would recommend every one do the same
Posted via Mobile Device

DaFace 03-12-2013 07:54 PM

I went with the "other" option. The last two cards I've bought have still had at least a bit of a warranty on them, so I didn't bother having them checked out.

Bwana 03-12-2013 07:54 PM

Spend a few bucks to have it looked at.

SAUTO 03-12-2013 07:54 PM

And I actually do it for regular customers quite often for no charge
Posted via Mobile Device

Bugeater 03-12-2013 08:07 PM

For me it depends on how much I'm spending on the car and who I'm buying it from.

And even with a mechanic's inspection buying a used car is still a crapshoot. They can only tell you what's wrong with it right now. A car could pass an inspection and still have the transmission explode two months down the road.

With that said, it's not a bad idea in certain circumstances, especially if you don't know much about cars.

007 03-12-2013 08:08 PM

I should have been more specific on the first option.

I have a mechanic look at every car I am considering actually purchasing.

You obviously wouldn't have them look at every jalopy you gander at.

Tombstone RJ 03-12-2013 08:08 PM

pay $50 for a mechanic to check it out. Unless the car ain't worth $50.

HemiEd 03-12-2013 08:27 PM

I trust myself more than anyone else to look at them, but the last two used ones I bought were a long way from here for my daughters.

A Neon for my eldest going to school in Tallahassee, I bought on ebay from a dealer in Atlanta and took his feedback and our discussion as enough. It lasted her for quite some time while she finished school.

More recently I helped my youngest with an Altima from an individual down in Ft. Worth off of Ebay. Carfax and feedback, plus her test drive and we pulled the trigger. She has had real good luck with it as well for a Datsun.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-12-2013 08:36 PM

I live in a rural area. We don't live on top of each other like rats in a sewer and try screwing each other. Well..unless they're kin.

Buehler445 03-12-2013 09:04 PM

I pretty much look it over myself. We have a kid working for us that is pretty decent. I had him look at one I was worried about. If it is something serious, I'll be able to tell. If not, is it worth fixing?

Miles 03-12-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9490929)
I went with the "other" option. The last two cards I've bought have still had at least a bit of a warranty on them, so I didn't bother having them checked out.

Same here. The past two cars I have purchased were from private sellers with some warranty left. After discussions with the seller and a test drive I was comfortable enough that they had been well cared for and had no issues.

Frosty 03-12-2013 09:25 PM

I never do. I've only been burned once - a 1991 Sidekick with a bad valve. I lost about $700 in that deal but also learned a lot about repairs.

Most of the time I buy newer stuff that still has warranty left. I don't tend to be too concerned about issues with a $2000 car and have had pretty good luck so far.