ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV "The Wire" fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=206100)

Reaper16 07-11-2009 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5893744)
Season 2 was also my favorite version of Way Down in the Hole.

Season 2 was the original version by Tom Waits.

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5893746)
If I had to rate those I'd go:

5, 3, 2, 4, 1

My order: 1, 4 (best title sequence footage, too. Chilling with the kids' voices), 2, 3, 5

Reaper16 07-11-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5893749)
Reminding me of another awesome tidbit: The Kansas City Star shout out. Of all the papers.....

It was a shout-out to Star TV critic Aaron Barnhart, who was an early believer in the show.

Buck 07-11-2009 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 5893760)
Plus Nick Sabatka's girlfriend had them tittay's!!!

I forgot about that.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2009 02:35 PM

I'm watching episode 10 of season 4 right now, and holy shit if McNulty's younger son doesn't look exactly like Ricky Rubio.

Thig Lyfe 07-11-2009 02:50 PM

Oh, ****! What happens at the end of that episode is the most brutal shit I've ever seen on television.

Baby Lee 07-11-2009 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 5893878)
Oh, ****! What happens at the end of that episode is the most brutal shit I've ever seen on television.

Chris' beatdown of Bug's pops?

Did you ever see Cy Tolliver beat Veronica Mars cross-eyed and lumpy skulled on Deadwood?

irishjayhawk 07-11-2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5893758)
The season was bookended by two examples of quality journalism: the adversarial piece about the council president & the quid pro quo, and the narrative piece about Bubbles. There were plenty of good people in that newsroom that made good content despite the out-of-town ownership mucking things up. Those two stories didn't feel disconnected to me. Gus' motivation for wanting the Bubbles story was simply being a good editor and having a good idea of what would make a quality story.

I dunno, it just felt rushed and in need of a good 2-3 more episodes to really flesh it out.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you are wanting to be further developed. You might just be sad that the show is over, heh.
Very true.

Quote:

Season 2 wasn't entirely self-contained. We didn't revisit the docks, yeah. But we didn't revisit the schools from season 4 outside of a cameo or two. I don't see the difference.
No, I didn't mean to insinuate that it was entirely self-contained. I consider the fact that we had the 3-4 kids continue their story-line (along with a Neamon cameo) a big crossover. Plus, you still had the mayor as a big player.

Reaper16 07-11-2009 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5893989)
I dunno, it just felt rushed and in need of a good 2-3 more episodes to really flesh it out.

Very true.

No, I didn't mean to insinuate that it was entirely self-contained. I consider the fact that we had the 3-4 kids continue their story-line (along with a Neamon cameo) a big crossover. Plus, you still had the mayor as a big player.

Well, Namond and Randy were just one-episode cameos. They had reached end-points in terms of story-telling. What else could Simon & Burns say about them that serves the story? Michael & Dukie had their fates still very much up in arms, as they entered into Marlo's world.

irishjayhawk 07-11-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5894002)
Well, Namond and Randy were just one-episode cameos. They had reached end-points in terms of story-telling. What else could Simon & Burns say about them that serves the story? Michael & Dukie had their fates still very much up in arms, as they entered into Marlo's world.

I think Randy could have had a much more fleshed out story. What that would be? I'm not entirely sure but it felt like I could have seen more of his transformation from the kid that knew he was going down for being a snitch to the guy who pushes people down stairs and storms out of an interview. I felt like Carver could have gone and visited him or tried, once again, to take him in. Who knows.

I just felt like 5 was paced differently than the rest. The rest were methodical builds whereas 5 just kinda I'm faking murders, it's going downhill really fast, he's forging articles bam done.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I just thought there could have been more to it.

Reaper16 07-12-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5894005)
I think Randy could have had a much more fleshed out story. What that would be? I'm not entirely sure but it felt like I could have seen more of his transformation from the kid that knew he was going down for being a snitch to the guy who pushes people down stairs and storms out of an interview. I felt like Carver could have gone and visited him or tried, once again, to take him in. Who knows.

I just felt like 5 was paced differently than the rest. The rest were methodical builds whereas 5 just kinda I'm faking murders, it's going downhill really fast, he's forging articles bam done.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad. I just thought there could have been more to it.

There could have been more, I suppose. 5 was two episodes short after all. But I'm having a tough time thinking of things that would both fill that time and serve the story. Anything that I think of would just be unnecessary fan-service.

Ultra Peanut 07-12-2009 05:36 AM

Randy went from sweet, promising kid with an honest-to-god shot at getting out to being an angry, hopeless lost cause. I don't really think they needed to wade much further into that.

Basileus777 07-12-2009 01:25 PM

All of the seasons were great. In terms of how I enjoyed them, I'd rank them: 1, 2, 4, 3, 5. But if I ranked them on how "good" they were, I'd put season 4 at the top. Season 5 is easily the worst season though.

irishjayhawk 07-12-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 5895061)
Randy went from sweet, promising kid with an honest-to-god shot at getting out to being an angry, hopeless lost cause. I don't really think they needed to wade much further into that.

See, I wanted to see more of that transformation as Randy was one of the four I really cared about. They did more for Neamon than Randy which I thought was sad because Neamon was more of a Colvin story than a Neamon story.

Reaper16 07-12-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 5895555)
See, I wanted to see more of that transformation as Randy was one of the four I really cared about. They did more for Neamon than Randy which I thought was sad because Neamon was more of a Colvin story than a Neamon story.

That'd just be fan service, though. As soon as Randy walked into that group home, you knew what his fate would be. His season 5 cameo simply confirmed it. Showing the transformation wouldn't say anything that wasn't already said.

irishjayhawk 07-12-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 5895581)
That'd just be fan service, though. As soon as Randy walked into that group home, you knew what his fate would be. His season 5 cameo simply confirmed it. Showing the transformation wouldn't say anything that wasn't already said.

True, I guess.

:hmmm: