ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Oh my... I dread this becoming a reality (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16966)

Mile High Mania 05-22-2001 07:37 AM

Oh my... I dread this becoming a reality

I just read a blurb on that orangemane site regarding Denver's CB position. Looks like they have 9 CBs going into camp and 6 of those guys are 5'10 or shorter. The three over 6 foot are Walker, who should be a great CB, some spare I've never heard of and the rookie, Middlebrooks.

I agree that Middlebrooks could one day be a great CB in the league, but most rookie DBs get abused their first year. So, TJ aluded to the fact that they may bring in another DB if this particular individual decides to play for the Broncos' terms (financially).

Auuuggghhh... also, due to this player's relationship and mutual respect for Shannahan and Rhodes, coupled with the fact that the offense and defense are being retooled for a title run it appears that the Deion to Denver bandwagon is about to begin.

I like Deion in Atlanta... grew to dislike his antics in SanFran and hated him as a Cowboy. I really hate the fact that he can't tackle and I ultimately hate the way he parades around the field, dances in the endzone and points to the big man upstairs before and after every play. The guy practically had sex with everything within grasp until his wife divorced him and then he "found the lord". Whatever.

I can already see the debates beginning...
Do I think the guy can legitimately shut down half the field?
Probably, he once was amazing, but recently I've seen him get burned by guys like Harrison and Keyshawn, only to downplay it b/c of injuries... the dreaded 'turf toe'.

I'll have to go back and see what he did last year in DC, but I know that he mailed it in his last year or two in Dallas. I think I would veto the Deion signing, but if they do it... I'll have to learn to accept it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm slick enough to twist and turn it into the perfect fit for Denver, but it gives me this sick feeling inside to think of Deion in a Denver uniform.

Maybe I'm wrong and it would be a great signing, but my gut is rarely wrong... except for this chinese food I had last week. Gross.

kcred 05-22-2001 07:44 AM

MHM - I don't think you have to worry about Neon, if you think he will join the others and sign for the minimum, I think you are wrong. If this guy plays football, he still will want the big bucks, and I can't believe the Broncs will give them to him. Of course, if they want to, fine, he is way over the hill.

KCTitus 05-22-2001 07:51 AM

I think this would be great...for Denver. Deion was exposed last year and burned quite often.

He's not as fast as he used to be and cannot play tight man coverage.

It's really sad that teams still think this guy can play. About the only thing he does any good is dance around while waiting for a punt that he eventually fair catches anyway.

Cormac 05-22-2001 07:54 AM

MHM,

I guess you'd better start pulling for the Reds :p

Seriously, I can't imagine any NFL team trying to sign him. It would be a terrible mistake for Denver IMO. And I doubt Ray Rhodes wants to see him again! The Broncos have invested a lot in the CB position in the last couple of years (2 #1s (who were my fav CBs in each draft) and Walker's contract....). Is Deltha O'Neal not going to be ready to go this season???

Iowanian 05-22-2001 07:55 AM

I must be behind...I thought he had a longterm contract with Washington...and was talking about leaving football?

I thought this was a Dale Carter lead...good luck with that bozo.

Cormac 05-22-2001 08:17 AM

Iowa,

He says he has left FB for good unless his baseball career nosedives. As he is not a very good BB player, he has been relegated to the bench already by the Reds. There is speculation that the Redskins might cut him loose on June 1, or else might wait until TC and take legal action against him to recoup their signing bonus (a la Barry Sanders and Detroit), when he doesn't show up. Either way, if he plays FB next season (which is possible given that the Reds are not going anywhere this season with Junior's injury and that starting rotation), it won't be in Washington.

Mile High Mania 05-22-2001 08:29 AM

It appears that Washington will cut him after June 1.

I agree with just about each of your posts, that's why I don't want him. Regarding O'Neal, as it stands he's being pushed as the starting corner opposite Walker. The only hangup is his size, but I'd bet he's as fast if not faster now than Deion and we'll have to see what he does on the field b/f we make his height an issue.

Middlebrooks is most likely the long term answer, but with O'Neal there and guys like Spencer and Poole pushing him, I don't see the need for frickin' Deion. I'd take the money and sign another kicker, I think.

Cormac 05-22-2001 09:50 AM

MHM,

Any word on Dale Carter? If he gets re-instated I bet he ends up in Minnesota with 1/2 bro, Jake Reed, as I saw mentioned somewhere. They could sure use him if he can keep his nose clean.

DaWolf 05-22-2001 10:03 AM

Trust me, Oakland will get involved with trying to sign Dieon when he becomes available. Just let them outbid him from you guys, and it'll all be OK...

aturnis 06-06-2001 03:20 AM

They aren't gonna get rid of Deon, Marty won't take that cap hit, he is just gonna keep him aboard and watch him squirm for shits and giggles.

But with DBs that short, looks like we're gonna be passing all over the Donkeys this year!:D

Look, I've hit 69 posts....haha:p

Rausch 06-06-2001 04:10 AM

Call me a blind homer with delusions, but I think that if Marty ever gets to pick his own groceries AND cook dinner(ok, used up, but think about it) he MIGHT just develop a SB champ.

THe one thing we never had was a dominant runnner, and when we did, we didn't have the rest...

Denver may be weak at corner, but as much as I hate ta' say it, they will STILL be competitive...ESPECIALLY in this last pure year of the AFC WEST...

I hope the Broncs lose their arses, but I doubt it will happen. I hope we take the division, but I doubt it will happen. ANd I hope the Faiders don't take the division, but I doubt it won't happen...

KCTitus 06-06-2001 06:06 AM

Brad: when Marty 'picked' his own groceries so far, he's picked 2 of the 3 stooges and Donnell Bennett, ignored the gaping holes at the guard position on the OL and retained Jeff George.

Cannibal 06-06-2001 11:55 AM

He also was able to get the one of the best, if not the best reciever in the draft, as well as the best corner despite having the fewest picks in the draft. Their WR corps went from the bottom 5 in the league, to top 13-15.

Can't fault him for George, because although he is a outright bonehead, he is still better than all the QB's that were available this offseason.

I do question his coaching staff pickups though.

KCTitus 06-06-2001 12:04 PM

Agreed on the WR, but WR's dont do you much good when you dont have time to throw. Also, if Marty doesnt modify his 'offensive' approach, Im sure WR's wont be much of a factor in any event.

DanT 06-06-2001 12:06 PM

You guy's have put Chester McGlockton in a Broncos uniform, which means you ignored both the city's altitude and his attitude, and you're worried about Deion? :confused: :D