ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Mechanics - help plz (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=214802)

Lzen 09-23-2009 07:51 PM

Mechanics - help plz

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe. It needs the front disc brakes replaced. So, I bought the brakes and went home to change them.

I loosened the lug nuts and jacked up the Sante Fe using my 2 ton hydraulic jack. Once up, I took off the lug nuts and attempted to remove the passenger side wheel. Nothing, it would no budge.

After wiggling it around awhile to no avail, I finally gave up on that side I tried the other side but still had the same exact problem.

I have driven cars for 22 years and never, not once, have I ever had this kind of problem. Is there something that I'm missing here?

SAUTO 09-23-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103677)
I have a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe. It needs the front disc brakes replaced. So, I bought the brakes and went home to change them.

I loosened the lug nuts and jacked up the Sante Fe using my 2 ton hydraulic jack. Once up, I took off the lug nuts and attempted to remove the passenger side wheel. Nothing, it would no budge.

After wiggling it around awhile to no avail, I finally gave up on that side I tried the other side but still had the same exact problem.

I have driven cars for 22 years and never, not once, have I ever had this kind of problem. Is there something that I'm missing here?

nope the wheel is just stuck on. several ways to get it off. aluminum wheel or steel?

Pablo 09-23-2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103677)
Hyundai

Found yer problem.

Bah dum crash.

Brock 09-23-2009 07:54 PM

IMO, You have a dissimilar metals reaction between the alloy wheels and the iron hub and they've become corroded together. Hit it with a BFH.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103684)
IMO, You have a dissimilar metals reaction between the alloy wheels and the iron hub and they've become corroded together. Hit it with a BFH.

the problem with a hammer is where to hit it. for a novice i would sit on the ground with the lugnuts off and kick the tire. you can really **** up an aluminum wheel with a hammer

Brock 09-23-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103686)
the problem with a hammer is where to hit it. for a novice i would sit on the ground with the lugnuts off and kick the tire. you can really **** up an aluminum wheel with a hammer

Yeah, I'd use a short 2x4 as the thing to actually hit with the hammer. But you most likely have a better solution since this is your profession.

Skip Towne 09-23-2009 07:58 PM

Yell at it and call it names.

Bowser 09-23-2009 07:58 PM

Maybe too obvious of a question, but does the car have some sort of anti tire theft lock you haven't disabled?

Bugeater 09-23-2009 07:59 PM

I had this problem with my wife's Camry last year, as Brock said it's because of the alloy wheels. I ended up soaking them with penetrating oil for several hours and then beat them off with a hammer and pry bar. Those son of bitches were stuck on so bad we'd have been screwed if we had a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now anytime I have the wheels off any of our vehicles I always put a coat of grease between the wheel and hub before I put them back on.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 6103693)
Yeah, I'd use a short 2x4 as the thing to actually hit with the hammer. But you most likely have a better solution since this is your profession.

i agree with you, i have no idea how mechanically inclined he is. if I said it and he totally ruined his $100+ dollar wheel...... you know the rest:D

Seriously kicking it should remove it.

at the shop i have an old splitting maul to use on those REAL tough ones. usually a 48 oz plastic deadblow to the inner lip does the trick

Skip Towne 09-23-2009 08:01 PM

I've had this happen. Shoot WD-40 in the lug bolt holes.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 6103702)
I had this problem with my wife's Camry last year, as Brock said it's because of the alloy wheels. I ended up soaking them with penetrating oil for several hours and then beat them off with a hammer and pry bar. Those son of bitches were stuck on so bad we'd have been screwed if we had a flat in the middle of nowhere. Now anytime I have the wheels off any of our vehicles I always put a coat of grease between the wheel and hub before I put them back on.

PLEASE dont put that grease on your lugnuts. it makes them REAL hard to torque accurately. AND YES i habd torque EVERY lugnuts that comes off in my shop. if you want a job there it is a must

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 6103681)
nope the wheel is just stuck on. several ways to get it off. aluminum wheel or steel?

Both wheels? Weird. I believe they are both aluminum alloy.

SAUTO 09-23-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 6103716)
Both wheels? Weird. I believe they are both aluminum alloy.

yep, be glad that you dont drive a dually:D they are the worst. i have actually had to leave lugnuts loose and drive them around the lot a couple of times to get them loose

Lzen 09-23-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 6103697)
Maybe too obvious of a question, but does the car have some sort of anti tire theft lock you haven't disabled?

That's what I wondered. I have never seen anything like this. But the owner manual does not mention anything about that in the changing tire section.