ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Electronics Electric razor preference (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269480)

007 01-30-2013 03:36 AM

Electric razor preference

For those that hate blades, what is your electric razor or preference and why?

I currently have a Braun 8900 series but am considering a switch to the new norelcos because the new blade replacements for the braun suck.

007 01-30-2013 03:37 AM

Also, the thread is meant for electric users only. Please don't litter it with how good your blades are for a regular shave. My face doesn't handle blades very well at all and I have tried most of the new ones.

Phobia 01-30-2013 03:58 AM

I have dabbled with several electrics over the years. I'm not talking about the $40-60 shavers either. I've spent $150 on the nice ones. I've tried the foils and the rotary shavers - Brauns, Remingtons, and everything in between. Eventually, I just gave up. I don't think there is an electric that will give me a decent shave without destroying my neck. I can get a Braun to cut my cheeks pretty nice but my neck is so sensitive that it develops a rash. I'm a blade only guy currently and for the foreseeable future. But I really only shave before church on Sundays or prior to important meetings.

007 01-30-2013 04:16 AM

I'm exactly the opposite. Blades leave my face feeling raw and uncomfortable. I try new ones but have always felt my braun is a closer more comfortable shave. I haven't used a GOOD Norelco in 15 years so I don't know how the new ones are but am considering trying the 1250/40 since amazon has the $50 coupon for it right now. In the past, norelcos always seemed to leave too much behind but now braun is doing that too with the new cutting block design they switched to.

Abba-Dabba 01-30-2013 04:34 AM

Can't even remember the last time I shaved.

CoMoChief 01-30-2013 05:51 AM

Every electric razor I've used makes my face break out and bleed.

I know your skin has to get used to it....but after 6 weeks and still bleeding (esp on the neck)? I gave up and turned to blades.

I wish I could use electric razor....it'd be much faster.

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:01 AM

I am not exactly the most "hairy" guy in the world but no electric can ever do the job. I currently use an electric to shave 80% then "clean up" with a blade. I love my electric but it just can't do a good enough job by itself. I would love to hear from the dissenters, how an electric can give a clean shave around your adam's apple. Seriously.

007 01-30-2013 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9363904)
I am not exactly the most "hairy" guy in the world but no electric can ever do the job. I currently use an electric to shave 80% then "clean up" with a blade. I love my electric but it just can't do a good enough job by itself. I would love to hear from the dissenters, how an electric can give a clean shave around your adam's apple. Seriously.

What electric do you use?

Braun has always done a good job for me on the apple.

Fritz88 01-30-2013 06:10 AM

The secret after shaving your neck is to resist the urge to scratch it no matter how much you want to, especially with blades.
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9363910)
What electric do you use?

Braun has always done a good job for me on the apple.

I have used both Braun and Remington. Neither were good enough for me. BUT that may be just me... I tend to be very particular.

007 01-30-2013 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9363913)
I have used both Braun and Remington. Neither were good enough for me. BUT that may be just me... I tend to be very particular.

I hated Remington. That thing tore me up. Braun was great for me up until they redesigned the cutting block this last year. Seriously consdering the Norelco after seeing so many positive reviews of the new high end models. Norelco always left me with stubble in the past though.

Rausch 01-30-2013 06:17 AM

I haven't found one yet.

Each one I've tried (3 of them) does a half assed job and manages to leave me half shaved while still feeling raw as hell.

Then I pick up the razor and finish...

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9363914)
I hated Remington. That thing tore me up. Braun was great for me up until they redesigned the cutting block this last year. Seriously consdering the Norelco after seeing so many positive reviews of the new high end models. Norelco always left me with stubble in the past though.

My current electric is a Norelco.. as I said, I love it... BUT it is great for 80-90%... after that I don't feel "clean" without using a blade to finish up.

BTW I am with you on Remington's.. last one I had was a butcher... which is weird for me since I have extremely UN-sensitive skin. Hell, I used to dry shave against the grain with cheap 7-11 razors and never had an issue. (don't judge, I had my "morning after" reasons)

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9363919)
I haven't found one yet.

Each one I've tried (3 of them) does a half assed job and manages to leave me half shaved while still feeling raw as hell.

Then I pick up the razor and finish...

Exactly.

007 01-30-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 9363920)
My current electric is a Norelco.. as I said, I love it... BUT it is great for 80-90%... after that I don't feel "clean" without using a blade to finish up.

BTW I am with you on Remington's.. last one I had was a butcher... which is weird for me since I have extremely UN-sensitive skin. Hell, I used to dry shave against the grain with cheap 7-11 razors and never had an issue. (don't judge, I had my "morning after" reasons)

:hmmm:

okoye35chiefs 01-30-2013 06:25 AM

cant use electric, and to everyone's point above they don't really work that well for me.

I can grow a beard in about an hour so I typically sport a beard or Goat otherwise I would own gillete with all the money I invest in them...

DaKCMan AP 01-30-2013 06:29 AM

I've tried Braun, Norelco, Remington... electric razors just don't work well for me.

Blades FTW!

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9363927)
:hmmm:

HEY! I said don't judge!

Rausch 01-30-2013 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9363935)
I've tried Braun, Norelco, Remington... electric razors just don't work well for me.

Blades FTW!

I have very oily, very sensitive skin as well as thin hair that's a pain in the ass to cut (it doesn't shave - it just bends down.)

If it weren't for bacon I'd look into Judaism more deeply...

AustinChief 01-30-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9363940)
I have very oily, very sensitive skin as well as thin hair that's a pain in the ass to cut (it doesn't shave - it just bends down.)

If it weren't for bacon I'd look into Judaism more deeply...

IF I weren't drunk and about to go to sleep I'd SOOO change your username to RAUSCHSTEIN right now. (or RAUSCHBERG?)

007 01-30-2013 07:37 AM

Guess if I don't like it I can always return it. might as well take a shot.

BigMeatballDave 01-30-2013 08:04 AM

I have a Remington.

I prefer a razor, but I hate wet shaving.

suds79 01-30-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 9363935)

Blades FTW!

This.

Electric razors suck. They're there for you if you're in a bind. But I don't think anybody expects to get a very close shave with them.

cron912 01-30-2013 08:08 AM

I've tried several Norelco and Braun shaver, and none ever worked well for me. Then I got a Panasonic Wet/Dry shaver, and it's the best electric I've used.

This isn't the same one I have, but it's similar.

Link

mikeyis4dcats. 01-30-2013 08:09 AM

I've found over the years I almost have to rotate after a while. I'll get a Braun then after a couple of years switch to a Norelco. And like most I still touch up after with a blade if I need a good shave.

jd1020 01-30-2013 08:14 AM

I used to have an electric razor and didn't like it. Switched back to blades and the electric razor started collecting dust, until one day when someone broke into the house and actually stole it...

ChiTown 01-30-2013 08:17 AM

Braun Series 7

http://www.braun.com/medialib/images...rs-790cc-4.jpg

QuikSsurfer 01-30-2013 08:21 AM

Braun Series 3 -- been using it for a few years now. Would definitely buy another one.
Shaving the neck can take a little more time but if you know how to tilt your head back and stretch/pull skin on your neck to shave it - it becomes much easier and gives a closer shave.

cookster50 01-30-2013 08:25 AM

Hmm, seems like my neck hair doesn't reach my adam's apple. You guys are either hairy freaks or short necked goons, nohomo.

Groves 01-30-2013 08:52 AM

Hard to beat a good straight razor shave, but here's the secret...

A great shave is 90% prep, and prep is something you can do no matter what mechanism you use to cut that follicle.

Steaming towel wrap? Yes please! Just microwave that wet towel and it's piping hot. Another? Indeed, it helps to do it twice.

Yes, it adds 6-10minutes to your schedule. If you wanna call that needless primping, go ahead. I call it the necessary time for beard hairs to go from fighting mad to soft and easy going.

Try it.

Jimmya 01-30-2013 09:01 AM

Norelco Nivea in the shower works great for me. Four times a week. Love the electrics that can be used in the shower.

otherstar 01-30-2013 09:30 AM

I'm a straight razor or double edge guy myself, BUT I do have a Norelco and Remington on hand for when I'm in a real hurry. I MUCH prefer the Remington, but I also find that I must use Lectric Shave pre-shave to get the hairs to stand up before I use an electric razor.

For any kind of shaving, preparing your face is the key to getting a good comfortable shave. For electric razors, you want your beard to be stiffer and to stand up so the electric razor can cut them. For blades, you want your beard to be soft and lay down so the blade can do the work (this is MOST especially true when using a straight razor).

007 08-15-2014 02:17 AM

Well they discontinued all the parts for this razor so when my blades are done I won't have a choice but to buy a new razor. Great choice on my part. LMAO but I can sure buy the RQ12 replacement blades by the razor brokers for $250 ROFL

Silock 08-15-2014 02:36 AM

Man, all of this just seems absurd.

I'm no stranger to sensitive skin. Mine is CRAZY sensitive. That's why I switched to a safety razor and Feather blades. They're ridiculously sharp, which means less drag on the skin, which means less irritation. And they don't "lift and cut" the beard hairs, which means they don't give you ingrown hairs because those hairs can't breach the surface as easily.

And the best thing is that a $5 razor and $10 in blades will last you a year.

I know you've probably heard it a million times, but there really is no better shave with less irritation than a super, super sharp blade.

007 08-15-2014 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10819894)
Man, all of this just seems absurd.

I'm no stranger to sensitive skin. Mine is CRAZY sensitive. That's why I switched to a safety razor and Feather blades. They're ridiculously sharp, which means less drag on the skin, which means less irritation. And they don't "lift and cut" the beard hairs, which means they don't give you ingrown hairs because those hairs can't breach the surface as easily.

And the best thing is that a $5 razor and $10 in blades will last you a year.

I know you've probably heard it a million times, but there really is no better shave with less irritation than a super, super sharp blade.

eh, who knows, maybe I will give it a try sometime. I've never tried a safety razor. The cartridge razors just tore me up so I assumed a super sharp safety razor would be even worse. Seems I didn't do my homework very well.

http://www.maxtonmen.com/blogs/how-t...rtridge-razors

Silock 08-15-2014 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10819898)
eh, who knows, maybe I will give it a try sometime. I've never tried a safety razor. The cartridge razors just tore me up so I assumed a super sharp safety razor would be even worse. Seems I didn't do my homework very well.

http://www.maxtonmen.com/blogs/how-t...rtridge-razors

Cartridge razors are probably the worst. There are too many blades, and they're not even as CLOSE to as sharp as the worst safety razor blade. More blades means more irritation.

The real key to a good shave with a safety razor is SUPER short strokes, and learning to shave with the grain all over your face, which means you'll have to turn the razor sideways in some instances just to stay with the grain -- I do. I have to turn the razor completely sideways on the right side of my neck to stay with the grain, but the other side is just up and down. It's weird. But once I figured that out, I never had any irritation problems ever again.

You really don't have much to lose. You can get everything you need from Amazon for about $30.

Razor - $3
http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Double-...s=safety+razor

You can always upgrade to something sturdier and more adjustable later, if you figure out you like it.

Feather blades - $4.25
http://www.amazon.com/Feather-Razor-...feather+blades

Probably the best blades out there.

Cheap brush - $11
http://www.amazon.com/SimplyBeautifu...s=badger+brush

These range from this cheap to hundreds and hundreds of dollars. Again, this is an upgrade that can wait until you figure out if you like shaving this way.

Proraso Soap - $10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2AL2VIK9NX238

Awesome soap, and you don't need a separate bowl for it.

That will all get you started, and it's not a huge investment if you decide you don't like it. Hell, if you don't like it, I'll buy most of it from you lol

007 08-15-2014 03:21 AM

So you can't just use normal shave cream with a safety razor?

Silock 08-15-2014 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10819902)
So you can't just use normal shave cream with a safety razor?

You can, but it's not awesome.

For one thing, the brush helps lift the hairs away from your face, and really gets the soap/shave cream in between the hair and the face, both of which decrease irritation. Second, that particular soap is probably better than any can cream you pick out. Third, shave soap will last way longer than any regular can of shaving cream.

Simply Red 08-15-2014 03:27 AM

I bought that Rick from Pawn Stars razor.

R8RFAN 08-15-2014 03:42 AM

I can't use electric, they burn my neck up...

I use one of these

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...fety-Razor.jpg

007 08-15-2014 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10819903)
You can, but it's not awesome.

For one thing, the brush helps lift the hairs away from your face, and really gets the soap/shave cream in between the hair and the face, both of which decrease irritation. Second, that particular soap is probably better than any can cream you pick out. Third, shave soap will last way longer than any regular can of shaving cream.

and for a bowl?

Silock 08-15-2014 04:18 AM

You don't need a bowl with that soap I listed. But any mug or bowl will do. Doesn't need to be special.

007 08-15-2014 04:29 AM

I forgot how much I hate Amazon and their damn ordering rules. The soap is an add on item and my order isn't enough. Then one item is shipped by amazon while the other are free shipping from the actual seller so I can't get free shipping on that one item. off to ebay I go. LMAO

Otter 08-15-2014 04:42 AM

Not a electric razor option obviously but for anyone interested:

https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/our-blades

Cheaper than store bought and just as good.

007 08-15-2014 05:32 AM

found everything I need on ebay. Brush is probably low end but oh well. Can upgrade later if needed.

Silock 08-15-2014 05:37 AM

As long as you soak the brush for a minute or two, it's going to be fine. I usually fill the sink up with hot water before my shower and drop the brush in there. I also use a little tea tree oil we had on hand as a pre-shave oil. Really helps a lot.

rockymtnchief 08-15-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10819906)
and for a bowl?

I use an old coffee mug. It's the perfect size for my soap and the soap doesn't move around when I'm building up the lather.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10819923)
As long as you soak the brush for a minute or two, it's going to be fine. I usually fill the sink up with hot water before my shower and drop the brush in there. I also use a little tea tree oil we had on hand as a pre-shave oil. Really helps a lot.

I like mine REALLY hot. I get the water hot, heat the outside of my mug with the hot water and then add hot water to my soap. I found that if I just add hot water to my room temp mug, it gets cooled down too much for my liking.

The soap/brush technique is the best feeling and least harsh on my neck.

htismaqe 08-15-2014 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10819900)
Cartridge razors are probably the worst. There are too many blades, and they're not even as CLOSE to as sharp as the worst safety razor blade. More blades means more irritation.

This.

Had a really bad problem with ingrown hairs once and the dermatologist said all men should know this:

1. NO electric razors.

2. If your razor has more than 2 blades, it's doing more harm than good.

mikeyis4dcats. 08-15-2014 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10819892)
Well they discontinued all the parts for this razor so when my blades are done I won't have a choice but to buy a new razor. Great choice on my part. LMAO but I can sure buy the RQ12 replacement blades by the razor brokers for $250 ROFL

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Norelc...p_ob_title_hpc

mikeyis4dcats. 08-15-2014 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10819909)
I forgot how much I hate Amazon and their damn ordering rules. The soap is an add on item and my order isn't enough. Then one item is shipped by amazon while the other are free shipping from the actual seller so I can't get free shipping on that one item. off to ebay I go. LMAO

you always gotta check the sidebar Rod, that soap was available froma 3rd party for 14 cents less with free shipping

srvy 08-15-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cron912 (Post 9363998)
I've tried several Norelco and Braun shaver, and none ever worked well for me. Then I got a Panasonic Wet/Dry shaver, and it's the best electric I've used.

This isn't the same one I have, but it's similar.

Link

I can vouch for the Panny foil wet dry. After years of using Remington and Norelco rotary this winter I bought a Panny. The thing is sweet. I had always used Electric Shave preshave. I tried the wet with a little shave cream walla its the only way to go. Clean up is a breeze, just rinse under water and shake it out. Like all electrics use will have a flyer that just wont cut I pull out the bic disposable hit it and good to go. Note with the Panny foil don't rub to hard let the shaver do the work and u wont get a burn.

L.A. Chieffan 08-15-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10819904)
I bought that Rick from Pawn Stars razor.

And.....

Dayze 08-15-2014 09:48 AM

I need to try some of those razors and soap mentioned earlier. On of the main reasons I have a goatee is because my face would get ****ed up from shaving everyday. It was brutal. By I was using a pos electric and cheap razors. And I refuse to pay the reeruned amount of money for the cartridge razors. I don't grow enough (NTTAWWT) to shave every day and I don't shave on weekends so a good razor should last me a while.

007 08-15-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 10820044)
you always gotta check the sidebar Rod, that soap was available froma 3rd party for 14 cents less with free shipping

something must have changed becuase when I was looking last night there were no other options for that particular soap on the sidebar. doesn't matter. I found it on Ebay cheaper.