ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV oscar nominations (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268706)

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 11:16 AM

I wouldn't cry if Argo won. I certainly think it's better than Les Mis (and I really liked Les Mis). But I'm routing for Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

One thing that hurts Argo's chances is the lack of a Best Director nom for Affleck.

KurtCobain 01-12-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9307878)
I wouldn't cry if Argo won. I certainly think it's better than Les Mis (and I really liked Les Mis). But I'm routing for Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

One thing that hurts Argo's chances is the lack of a Best Director nom for Affleck.

Huge snub there.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 9307916)
Huge snub there.

Agreed. The direction is probably the film's biggest strength. Affleck is a real talent behind the lens.

Frazod 01-12-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9307757)
Tried to watch that last week. Boring as ****.

Not enough splosions for you? :facepalm:

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 9307792)
I thought lincoln was great, but am hoping it goes to Argo.

Anything but Le Mis.

It drives me crazy that Les Mis is even in the conversation. They made the specific choice to cast actors/actresses with star appeal over, in some cases, picking the one who could perform the role best. Sorry, but if you're going to make a remake, that shit can't go unnoticed. Can understand if they nominate performances in the movie. But it's a joke for that to be in the running for best picture.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308213)
It drives me crazy that Les Mis is even in the conversation. They made the specific choice to cast actors/actresses with star appeal over, in some cases, picking the one who could perform the role best. Sorry, but if you're going to make a remake, that shit can't go unnoticed. Can understand if they nominate performances in the movie. But it's a joke for that to be in the running for best picture.

Well, it isn't really a remake. It's the first time the musical has been adapted into a film.

But I don't understand your argument. It's a joke to be in the running because it's adapted and because there are big stars in it?

Hootie 01-12-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9302491)
Moonrise Kingdom needs to be up for Best Picture, IMO.

maybe I just don't like Wes Anderson but I thought this movie was one of the worst, most pointless movies I have ever seen

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9308201)
Not enough splosions for you? :facepalm:

I literally fell asleep.

Maybe Michael Bay should have made it... :)

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tasty Cheeks (Post 9308231)
maybe I just don't like Wes Anderson but I thought this movie was one of the worst, most pointless movies I have ever seen

I liked it. Probably my second favorite of his movies. But if you're not a fan of his style, it makes sense that you wouldn't like MK.

BigMeatballDave 01-12-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 9302491)
Moonrise Kingdom needs to be up for Best Picture, IMO.

Holy crap that movie sucked.

Very disappointing. I expected much more.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:22 PM

One of the problems I've always had with the Oscars is that there doesn't seem to be enough appreciation for a good comedy script. Thought Safety Not Guaranteed was one of the cleverest scripts this year. I'm shocked it didn't get nominated at all.

chiefzilla1501 01-12-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Brooklyn (Post 9308228)
Well, it isn't really a remake. It's the first time the musical has been adapted into a film.

But I don't understand your argument. It's a joke to be in the running because it's adapted and because there are big stars in it?

There are actors in there that were cast for star appeal versus "can they sing well." Russell Crowe is an obvious example.

And my point about it being a remake is that this is a movie that is based on a brilliant book. It has been adapted umpteen times and run on Broadway. If you're going to get nominated for it, it damn well better be ****ing brilliant. Other Oscar nominees and nominee wannabes are relying on highly original scripts.

So yes, it's a joke for this to be nominated. Best performances, yes.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308245)
One of the problems I've always had with the Oscars is that there doesn't seem to be enough appreciation for a good comedy script. Thought Safety Not Guaranteed was one of the cleverest scripts this year. I'm shocked it didn't get nominated at all.

I really wanted to see that.

Red Brooklyn 01-12-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9308251)
There are actors in there that were cast for star appeal versus "can they sing well." Russell Crowe is an obvious example.

And my point about it being a remake is that this is a movie that is based on a brilliant book. It has been adapted umpteen times and run on Broadway. If you're going to get nominated for it, it damn well better be ****ing brilliant. Other Oscar nominees and nominee wannabes are relying on highly original scripts.

So yes, it's a joke for this to be nominated. Best performances, yes.

I agree about some of the casting choices. Most obviously, Crowe, but also Jackman. HBC and SBC also leave a lot to be desired. But I think the rest of the cast nails it. And I'm pulling for Anne to win her category.

I don't really agree about the adaptation element. If you don't think the movie is worthy, that's fine. But that particular aspect of your argument strikes me as a bit strange. Who care if it's adapted, and who cares if it ran on Broadway? This thing is it's own animal, and should be judged on it's own merits (or lack thereof). Which, I admit, may be easier said than done for those who are familiar with the stage version.

I happen to think it deserves to be recognized, but I don't think it deserves a win. I've only seen four of the nominated films, but I think the other three I've seen are much better films.

Reaper16 01-12-2013 02:38 PM

I saw Les Mis last night, finally. I thought it was ****ing terrible in almost every capacity. I'm a huge fan of the musical, so take that for what its worth.