ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Washington DC and The Holy Land (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Economics The Fiscal Cliff Approacheth (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=261610)

Donger 08-23-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8844247)
If your argument is that it's wrong for an institution to be so critical to the economy that sharp cuts would tank the economy, then I'd figure you'd be in favor of breaking up the big banks.

I'd be happy to review anything which restores fiscal sanity, sure.

Saul Good 08-23-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8844247)
If your argument is that it's wrong for an institution to be so critical to the economy that sharp cuts would tank the economy, then I'd figure you'd be in favor of breaking up the big banks.

You're trying to relegate all government spending to that of "an institution"?

Even so, I don't know of any banks that are as large as the federal government.

Direckshun 08-23-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 8844257)
You're trying to relegate all government spending to that of "an institution"?

It is an institution.

Otter 08-23-2012 10:40 AM

I'd get ready for soup kitchen lines...they seem to be coming.

Direckshun 09-17-2012 08:15 AM

Blech.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/defa.../stareport.pdf

Lightrise 09-17-2012 08:47 AM

That's exactly what the democrats should do, but I'd add changing the filibuster rule if they also retain the senate. But the fact is that the republicans already voted last year to destroy the nation by shoving it into default in order to screw the private sector. There is no reason to make it difficult for republicans, they can choose to support the middle class any time they want. They can choose to support veterans or continue to harm them. They can choose to protect the environment or risk your child's life with toxic waste. They can choose to worship Grover Norquist or disavow torture and love God. They can follow a talk radio doctor shopper or the example of Theodore Roosevelt, the Roosevelt who also left the republican party that had disgraced themselves.

patteeu 09-17-2012 09:11 AM

Another day in Obama's America... another credit downgrade for the country. :shake:

Saul Good 09-17-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrise (Post 8920101)
That's exactly what the democrats should do, but I'd add changing the filibuster rule if they also retain the senate. But the fact is that the republicans already voted last year to destroy the nation by shoving it into default in order to screw the private sector. There is no reason to make it difficult for republicans, they can choose to support the middle class any time they want. They can choose to support veterans or continue to harm them. They can choose to protect the environment or risk your child's life with toxic waste. They can choose to worship Grover Norquist or disavow torture and love God. They can follow a talk radio doctor shopper or the example of Theodore Roosevelt, the Roosevelt who also left the republican party that had disgraced themselves.

Should the Democrats vote to remove the filibuster if the Republicans take the Senate?

Direckshun 09-17-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Wickedson (Post 8920514)
Should the Democrats vote to remove the filibuster if the Republicans take the Senate?

I'm not sure removing the filibuster was ever on the table.

Forcing actual, physical filibusters should be, however.

patteeu 09-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 8920567)
Forcing actual, physical filibusters should be, however.

There's a reason majorities don't do that.

Lightrise 09-17-2012 11:49 AM

The democrats do not have a history of abusing this power like the republicans do. But the filibuster rule has been changed in the past, so it wouldn't be unprecedented. The fact is that Reid didn't change it last time because McConnell committed verbally not to obstruct. While many were suspicious that McConnell would once again be the skunk in the room, Reid chose to give good will one more change. Well, Mitch indeed stunk up the room and harmed the nation day after day. What I'd rather see is less extremism and less obstruction from the republicans. It would be helpful if they would rescind their support for the Cancer on America, the Grover Norquist blackmail pledge. It would be nice to reclaim a label of patriotism most of them gave away for greed.

KC Dan 09-17-2012 11:52 AM

What I would like to see is the Harry Reid led Senate actually follow Federal law and pass a budget.

patteeu 09-17-2012 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightrise (Post 8920720)
The democrats do not have a history of abusing this power like the republicans do.

At least not since the last time democrats were in the minority.

Lightrise 09-17-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Dan (Post 8920728)
What I would like to see is the Harry Reid led Senate actually follow Federal law and pass a budget.

At some point my friend, you have to take responsibility for ignorance. Or, you risk being exposed. It has become hilarious to see the golden rats hurl this right wing extreme talk radio vomit out for the other golden rats. The Budget Control Act passed by both houses and signed by the president is the law. In that bill, there is specific language, specific, that the act replaces the NON BINDING Budget Resolution. It is this budget resolution, which really doesn't amount to anything, and is not required under current law, that is often being erroneously repeated for political purposes.

So, you're either doing that and you are now exposed for it, or there's the ignorance problem. In the end, all golden rats march one by one into the sea of irrelevancy.

Direckshun 09-17-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8920772)
At least not since the last time democrats were in the minority.

During the Bush administration?

Are you saying Republicans now are filibustering just as much as Democrats were in the Bush administration?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.