ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Goodell considering doing away with kickoffs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267426)

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9185277)
What a great commissioner.

Anybody else noticing the NFL sucks now?

Slowly but surely it's getting worse.

I think the rules changes in 2004 were HORRIBLE in hindsight.

It gives the teams with really good QBs WAY too much of an advantage.

And it created slapdicks like Matt Cassel, who weaseled his way into $60 million.

15 years ago Matt Cassel would never have gotten paid.

BigMeatballDave 12-06-2012 12:50 PM

Eliminating FGs is as stupid as eliminating kickoffs.

****ING LEAVE SHIT ALONE!

|Zach| 12-06-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cookster50 (Post 9185243)
Does this mean less tv timeouts? If so, I'm all for it.

The amount of commercials are simply maddening.

Fire Me Boy! 12-06-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9185260)
I don't like seeing Shane Drone returning kicks either, but this is ridiculous.

Shaun Draughn:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/uploads/cho...dard_352.0.jpg

Shane Drone:

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8317/shanedrone.jpg

Rasputin 12-06-2012 12:51 PM

"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

:huh: So the team that just scored (ala tommbrady) gets the ball back at their own 30 for a chance to score again? Albiet 4th & 15 if you got Tomm ****ing Brady great. Just kick a field goal and keep kicking fiield goals untill you miss. Damn if you got a hell of a FG kicker your in pretty good shape. Good thing Janitkousky(sp) retired.

GoChargers 12-06-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9185284)
All the teams are the ****ing same in style.

Well, except for the Chargers and our slow, plodding early-'90s offense (which, by the way, only worked in the '90s because Norv had Aikman, Irvin, Emmitt, and a ridiculously stacked O-line).

Bearcat 12-06-2012 12:51 PM

His idea for a replacement is very gimmicky, especially considering the final couple of minutes where a team is more likely to be successful with the make it take it style than recovering onside kicks.

I've thought about Belichick's comments a few times, and even though I kind of agree, I don't know if it should change. Even if most kickoffs are returned within the 25 or 30, I don't think you can really take away the chance at an extra 20 or 30+ yards and just place it on the 20 or whatever.

My frustration with it though isn't exactly the kickoff itself or the chance (or lack of) that one will be returned beyond the ~25, but with all the stoppages. When I have a game recorded on my DVR, I generally FF from the time a team scores until the next 1st down, skipping the possible delay while reviewing the score, then the EP, commercials, kickoff/return, and commercials. It's basically 5 minutes of pointless football and commercials that usually results in one easy point and the ball at the ~20-25 yard line.

|Zach| 12-06-2012 12:52 PM

This kickoff rule would make it a bit easier to stage a massive comeback. I feel like you are more likely to convert 4th and 15 than grab an onside kick.

Rasputin 12-06-2012 12:52 PM

[QUOTE=KC Tattoo;9185293]"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

:huh: So the team that just scored (ala tommbrady) gets the ball back at their own 30 for a chance to score again? Albiet 4th & 15 if you got Tomm ****ing Brady great.

|Zach| 12-06-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9185302)

:huh: So the team that just scored (ala tommbrady) gets the ball back at their own 30 for a chance to score again? Albiet 4th & 15 if you got Tomm ****ing Brady great.

You think because a team has Tom Brady they are going to go for it all the time with 1 down in their own endzone? What?

Bearcat 12-06-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9185293)
"After a touchdown or field goal, instead of kicking off, a team would get the ball on its own 30-yard line, where it's fourth and 15," TIME's Sean Gregory writes. "The options are either to go for it and try to retain possession or punt. If you go for it and fall short, of course, the opposing team would take over with good field position. In essence, a punt replaces the kickoffs."

:huh: So the team that just scored (ala tommbrady) gets the ball back at their own 30 for a chance to score again? Albiet 4th & 15 if you got Tomm ****ing Brady great. Just kick a field goal and keep kicking fiield goals untill you miss. Damn if you got a hell of a FG kicker your in pretty good shape. Good thing Janitkousky(sp) retired.

Their own 30... 70 yards away.

I'm sure there's a better chance at converting a 4th and 15 than getting an onside kick back... more exciting, but very gimmicky.

tk13 12-06-2012 12:55 PM

I wonder sometimes what the game will look like in 25 years. This sounds crazy but Goodell is trying to be forward thinking. I posted an article a week or so ago about new discoveries between football and brain damage. It didn't get any responses, and I didn't expect it to... but you wonder how much the game will change over the next couple decades as they figure out playing football causes head trauma and people start freaking out over it.
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers 12-06-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9185277)
What a great commissioner.

Anybody else noticing the NFL sucks now?

I've certainly noticed.

Goodell has become mad with power and the officiating has become a joke. The league bends over for Kraft, Green Bay, and the Rooneys on a yearly basis.

For the first time in my life, I can honestly say that the NBA provides a better product than the NFL, especially since $tern is leaving at the end of the year.

BigCatDaddy 12-06-2012 12:59 PM

I'm considering doing away with Goodell.

Hammock Parties 12-06-2012 12:59 PM

Goodell is a ****ing moron...basically if you don't have an elite kick returner, kickoffs are a waste of time now.

I haven't been interested in a single Chiefs kickoff return this year. Every single one is bullshit.