ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Books Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=137161)

big nasty kcnut 03-11-2006 10:37 PM

Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading

I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.

ChiefsFanatic 03-11-2006 10:43 PM

Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

58-4ever 03-11-2006 10:44 PM

The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

Mike in SW-MO 03-11-2006 10:46 PM

Cally's War - John Ringo

High brow? no.

High foreheard? Got that.

Hammock Parties 03-11-2006 10:51 PM

America's Game - Michael McCambridge

Soon as I polish that off I'm going to start on one of my two new books by Scott Adams - "Way of the Weasel" and "The Joy of Work."

luv 03-11-2006 10:53 PM

Cider House Rules by John Irving

|Zach| 03-11-2006 10:58 PM

http://homerdixon.com/ingenuitygap/

The Ingenuity Gap

By Thomas Homer-Dixon's

Can we solve the problems of the future? Thomas Homer-Dixon tackles this question in a groundbreaking study of a world becoming too complex and too fast-paced to manage.

The challenges we face converge, intertwine, and often remain largely beyond our understanding. Most of us suspect that the "experts" don't really know what's going on and that as a species we've released forces that are neither managed nor manageable. This is the ingenuity gap, the critical gap between our need for ideas to solve complex problems and our actual supply of those ideas.

Poor countries are particularly vulnerable to ingenuity gaps, but our own rich countries are no longer immune, and we're all caught dangerously between a soaring requirement for ingenuity and an increasingly uncertain supply. As the gap widens, the result can be political disintegration and violent upheaval.

With riveting anecdotes and lucid argument, Thomas Homer-Dixon uses his ingenuity theory to suggest how we might approach these problems -- in our own lives, our thinking, our businesses, and our societies.

T-post Tom 03-11-2006 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic
Undaunted Courage by Stephen Ambrose.

Try "Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge," by Ambrose Bierce when you're done. If you haven't already. Classic American short story.

jspchief 03-11-2006 11:03 PM

Just finished the Archer's Tale trilogy by Bernard Cornwell.

I'll probably start something else written by him, because his style appeals to me.

Frazod 03-11-2006 11:06 PM

Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. Before that, His Excellency (biography of Washington) by Joseph Ellis.

I've been reading quite a bit on the Revolutionary War era over the past couple of years. I read Jeff Shaara's historical fiction works Rise to Rebellion and The Glorious Cause, and also David McCullough's John Adams. Fascinating period. I'll probably read American Sphinx (about Jefferson) next.

arrowheadnation 03-11-2006 11:24 PM

How to Ruin an NFL Franchise in 10 Days - by Carl Peterson

On the real though....I'm reading "Michael Jordan: Driven from Within"

TrickyNicky 03-11-2006 11:26 PM

I'm currently reading The Winter King by Bernard Cromwell which is a spin of the Arthurian legend. Cromwell writes very well.

jspchief 03-11-2006 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrickyNicky
I'm currently reading The Winter King by Bernard Cromwell which is a spin of the Arthurian legend. Cromwell writes very well.

It's Cornwell, not Cromwell.

And if you haven't read The Archer's Tale, by Cornwell, I recommend it.

Winter King is likely my next book.

Phobia 03-11-2006 11:39 PM

I'm reading Love and Respect - it's a marriage manual where my balls get chopped off and put in my wife's purse.

WoodDraw 03-11-2006 11:55 PM

Right now I'm reading "Roosevelt: The Lion and the Fox" by James MacGregor Burns. It's part one of his two part biography of FDR. This one runs from his birth to before WWII.