ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New video card equals oops... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=126316)

joesomebody 10-11-2005 01:09 PM

New video card equals oops...

Ok... so I went to one of my favorite shopping sites, www.woot.com, and bought a pair of the SLI video cards they are whoring today...

Well... after I'd bought them I realized that SLI are PCI-E slot not just regular old PCI... so that made me realize I'd need a new motherboard...

So I went shopping and realized no motherboard I could find that had PCI-E slots would support my Intel Pentium 4 2.4G 478... it had to be the newer LGA775's...

So here is where I realized I'd need a new MOBO and a new CPU... OH and then I realized all the newer MOBO's only take DDR2 memory, so I figured out that I had to buy new memory too...

So I did some shopping around and came up with this set up...

Motherboard: ABIT NI8-SLI
CPU: Intel Celeron D 3.2 Ghz
Memory: Kingston 1GB DDR2 533
Video Card: 2 of the BFG GeForce 6600 128MB PCI-Express SLI Video Cards

Could one of you intelligent Chiefsplanet members take a look at this setup and advise... I still have time to cancel everything but the video cards...

The video cards are what made me upgrade anyway...

RedDread 10-11-2005 01:35 PM

If you're putting that much cash into your system put a little more in and ditch the celeron for a regular P4 with an 800 Mhz Front Side Bus.

joesomebody 10-11-2005 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDread
If you're putting that much cash into your system put a little more in and ditch the celeron for a regular P4 with an 800 Mhz Front Side Bus.

KK, went back and made the change...

was another 50 or so bucks, but it has the
Pentium 4 630 3.0GHz (800MHz) chip now.

Mr. Laz 10-11-2005 05:24 PM

yep ... ditch the celery(celeron) and your golden

go bo 10-11-2005 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joesomebody
KK, went back and made the change...

was another 50 or so bucks, but it has the
Pentium 4 630 3.0GHz (800MHz) chip now.

worth every penny...

i have 3 celerons and one p4-ht...

the celerons surf the net just fine and can do most things adequately, but if you're upgrading your video cards, you probably want more performance than the celeron ever could provide...

AeroSquid 10-12-2005 05:49 AM

Ditch Intel completly. P4 & Celery precessors suck. Get a socket 754 3200+ FTW.

joesomebody 10-13-2005 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AeroSquid
Ditch Intel completly. P4 & Celery precessors suck. Get a socket 754 3200+ FTW.

Granted I haven't had an AMD since 1998... I just wasn't happy with it. I've never had a problem with any of my INTEL based computers, but my one AMD was the worst POS I ever owned.

Now... some reasons for this... it was Window's 98 first edition (which everyone knows was crap)
It was the last computer I owned that I didn't build myself (was a compaq before compaq was bought out by HP)

Those two alone probably account for it being a horrible computer, but even so... I'm perfectly happy with intel, so why switch...

This is the exact reason I won't take up snowboarding... I like to ski so why risk it.

AeroSquid 10-13-2005 05:44 PM

It's not a risk, it's a fact: AMD is faster, cooler, and cheaper. Back in 98 I had an Intel processor because they were the best at the time. Technology changes quickly with processors so you can't judge a 7 year old chip against what AMD is making now. If you want your pc to run games as fast as possible for the least amount of money you want AMD. NForce 4 SLI boards rule anyway and since you already bought 2 6600(GT?)cards you want stable SLI drivers (NF4). I won't comment on spending $400 bucks on 2 cards that can be raped by a single $400 card oops sry.

joesomebody 10-14-2005 08:05 AM

Quote:

It's not a risk, it's a fact: AMD is faster, cooler, and cheaper. Back in 98 I had an Intel processor because they were the best at the time. Technology changes quickly with processors so you can't judge a 7 year old chip against what AMD is making now. If you want your pc to run games as fast as possible for the least amount of money you want AMD. NForce 4 SLI boards rule anyway and since you already bought 2 6600(GT?)cards you want stable SLI drivers (NF4). I won't comment on spending $400 bucks on 2 cards that can be raped by a single $400 card oops sry.

Actually I got em for 69 dollars apiece... so more like 140 bucks... not 400.

AeroSquid 10-14-2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

Actually I got em for 69 dollars apiece... so more like 140 bucks... not 400.

so are they GT's or not?

joesomebody 10-14-2005 01:15 PM

Quote:

so are they GT's or not?

Nope, not GT's. Whats the difference? I priced the cards I bought on other sights and they were around 120 or so, as there were going for about half that I dove in and bought em.

Had I not already bought my new motherboard I would heed your advice about the AMD much more. I haven't paid for the processor yet though, but I don't think I can return the mother board anyway.

I'm not a super gamer anyway, I however try to build my computers to last at least 2 to 3 years.

So I'm not sure the differences you are talking about will effect me, I like singleplayer RTS and role playing games... not a huge FPS fan, nor do I like online gaming, so the need for the best of the best isn't really something I have. I just like for my computers to hold up to the gaming standards for 2 years at a minimum, so I try to get pretty decent stuff when I do upgrade.

htismaqe 10-14-2005 01:21 PM

Quote:

Nope, not GT's. Whats the difference? I priced the cards I bought on other sights and they were around 120 or so, as there were going for about half that I dove in and bought em.

Had I not already bought my new motherboard I would heed your advice about the AMD much more. I haven't paid for the processor yet though, but I don't think I can return the mother board anyway.

I'm not a super gamer anyway, I however try to build my computers to last at least 2 to 3 years.

So I'm not sure the differences you are talking about will effect me, I like singleplayer RTS and role playing games... not a huge FPS fan, nor do I like online gaming, so the need for the best of the best isn't really something I have. I just like for my computers to hold up to the gaming standards for 2 years at a minimum, so I try to get pretty decent stuff when I do upgrade.

Some of the RTS' and RPG' I've played lately are far more taxing on my video card than some of the FPS' out there...

AeroSquid 10-14-2005 02:32 PM

WOW struggles @ 1600X1200 with my GTX and the F.E.A.R. demo really put the hurtin on it. Hopefully my fear download will be finished by the time i get home.

the difference between vanilla 6600's and GT's is speed. The GT's are much faster.

joesomebody 10-14-2005 08:14 PM

Quote:

WOW struggles @ 1600X1200 with my GTX and the F.E.A.R. demo really put the hurtin on it. Hopefully my fear download will be finished by the time i get home.

the difference between vanilla 6600's and GT's is speed. The GT's are much faster.

Well even if I made a huge mistake with these two, the price was right.

I'm currently using a LEADTEK WINFAST A280LE-TDH 128MB GEFORCE4 NVIDIA TI4200 DDR 8XAGP MY VIVO EDITION(VIDEO IN, TV OUT, DVI) that I paid 148 dollars for 2 years ago... my new ones were less than that, and I think will be quite a noticeable upgrade from my current set up.

New motherboard, new cpu, new video cards.

Heres what I have now for motherboard and cpu,

ABIT IT7 MAX2 V2
INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.4G - 478
1 gig of DDR ram

Its still a good machine, but I think my new goodies will be a noticeable upgrade.

My motherboard came in the mail today, now just waiting on the rest :D

MavKC 10-16-2005 06:10 PM

Ok maybe I'm a couple of days late, but this post is making no sense...

Number 1...

As it's been pointed out, the 6600 is slower than the 6600 GT. Not only did you get 1 of slower versions, but thanks to the great deal you picked up two of them. You would of been better off getting just one 6600GT, or better yet, one 6800GT. Two 6600/6600GT's have less performance than one 6800 GT. Why? 6800GT has a 256 bit memory bus, 16 pipes, and a faster GPU and memory clock. Hence your not going to be more uber with two 6600's...

Number 2...

Because of your lack of reasearch before hand, you jumped on the PCI-E SLI bandwagon before you knew anything about it. Well at least you learned a valuble lesson on this front. 5 minutes would of been all you need to figure out that you would need a MoBo upgrade which basically results in a full system upgrade. That's the fun thing about computer technology in general. Things go obsolete pretty quickly these days..

Number 3...

If your main intentions was to put together a gaming system, you picked the wrong CPU for it. Yeah you did better than your original plan of a Celeron, buy upgrading to a P4. But a 939 socket AMD64 chip is a much better gaming CPU as demostrated by just about every CPU review out there. Hell a 754 AMD64 is a better CPU than a P4. That is unless of course you do a lot of video/audio encoding, in which case you lucked out and picked a good CPU for it.

The internet is a wonderful place, you really should use it more often...

:)