ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Man spends a day without a cell phone in NYC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264278)

Otter 09-26-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8952653)
I hear you but even without business needs I couldn't do it. Raising three kids in a big city, plus the wife, gotta' have it in case they need me. Or I need to use the locator feature to make sure the kids are where they are supposed to be. And get appointment reminders for their doctors and dentists and lessons and recitals and games and everything else they have.

Or looking up insignificant trivia at 3:00 a.m. while sitting out having a few with the wife. Or taking impromptu pictures or video. Or putting Soundhound up to see what the name of the song is or who sings it. Or changing my fantasy football lineup on the golf course. Or using the Amazon shopper app to scan a bar code at the mall to see if I can get it cheaper. Or Yelping to find a bar or restaurant in this part of town. And on and on and on.

I don't have kids and slowly getting myself off the grid. If you ever have a week to not give a **** come deep into the Rockies. Bring gear. You and about 15-20 other people here have open invite.

Understand the whole family thing but you learn to not like your cell phone. Actually you learn to hate it. :D

DaneMcCloud 09-26-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8952725)
Do any of you still have land lines?

That is our issue, we got rid of ours about three years ago.

We have two Voip lines because we don't get even close to a solid cell reception in our home. Plus, I like having a wireless phone in nearly every room. I'd lose my cell and miss an important calls for one reason or another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8952653)
I hear you but even without business needs I couldn't do it. Raising three kids in a big city, plus the wife, gotta' have it in case they need me. Or I need to use the locator feature to make sure the kids are where they are supposed to be. And get appointment reminders for their doctors and dentists and lessons and recitals and games and everything else they have.

Or looking up insignificant trivia at 3:00 a.m. while sitting out having a few with the wife. Or taking impromptu pictures or video. Or putting Soundhound up to see what the name of the song is or who sings it. Or changing my fantasy football lineup on the golf course. Or using the Amazon shopper app to scan a bar code at the mall to see if I can get it cheaper. Or Yelping to find a bar or restaurant in this part of town. And on and on and on.

All of this and more. I can't imagine not having a cell in Los Angeles and I don't think I've forgotten to take my cell with me when I leave the house in over a decade.

ModSocks 09-26-2012 03:21 PM

I'm 27 years old, don't use a Cell Phone, Twitter or Facebook.

Gasp....

Bearcat 09-26-2012 03:25 PM

Lesson 3, based on 0 new vm and no pressing emails: We're not as important as we think.

I recently completely disconnected from work for 12 days, which was the longest I had gone in probably 5 years... and I was also without internet/phone/text for most of that time (excluding a couple of hours on free wifi the first and last day). Granted, I was pretty excited to have access at the end of my vacation, I didn't miss it at all, which kind of surprised me.

Of course, it's different when it's planned... I hate not having my cell on me during a normal day, and if you don't respond to something right away you have to deal with those who think you should be available all the time.

Bearcat 09-26-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 8952725)
Do any of you still have land lines?

That is our issue, we got rid of ours about three years ago.

I'm 32 and I've never paid for one.. I've had a cell phone since around the time I graduated high school. Time Warner will call me every once in a while about how I need a landline and they'll go through all these scenarios...

Bad reception?
Two phones, two carriers... nope.

Emergencies and your cell phone is dead?
Again, two phones, not a problem.

Kids at home?
wut

mr. tegu 09-26-2012 03:32 PM

If I am with the fiance I go without looking at mine on many days. Although with football, that doesn't really happen as much anymore due to having to check scores and fantasy lineups.

So basically, I can go without using it pretty easily, but I think not having it would cause some anxiety. It is one of those things that you only really want it if you don't have it, so having it is a comforting feeling.

durtyrute 09-26-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8952817)

Gasp....

I'm right there with you on all accounts except I'm 33. I went to 54th Street about a year ago and was talking to the bartender. I told her I no longer used a cell phone, and I shit you not, the whole smoking section stopped talking and looked at me like I just walked into a KKK meeting or something.

Crazy!!

Otter 09-26-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 8952681)
Could I go without it? Sure.

I wouldn't prefer that though.

It becomes like a reward to catch up and see everything going on. I also understand that there's people that just enjoy checking e-mail, twitter and the news every half hour. It's kinda like the opposite of going camping if that makes sense.

mr. tegu 09-26-2012 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 8952817)

Gasp....

I don't have any Twitter or Facebook, but I do need my cell phone.

big nasty kcnut 09-26-2012 03:47 PM

Do it all the time. I need a phone but i can live without it.

|Zach| 09-26-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 8952854)
It becomes like a reward to catch up and see everything going on. I also understand that there's people that just enjoy checking e-mail, twitter and the news every half hour. It's kinda like the opposite of going camping if that makes sense.

I enjoy getting away and everything but I value and enjoy reading shit...being tuned it...and talking to people. Well...not a lot of voice calls but texting.

I share a bit of similarity to the author in that I need to be ready to take on opportunities as someone that is self employed.

whoman69 09-26-2012 04:01 PM

I have to push myself to even use my cell.

Ming the Merciless 09-26-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8952495)
Must be a shitty comedian. I didn't laugh once while reading that.

my exact thought

Kerberos 09-26-2012 04:38 PM

I never had a smart phone till I started working for my current employer. They provided it for me and I have to say that if I had to buy my own phone again I would probably have to get a smart phone. Too freaking convenient for a multitude of things. I keep in touch with my wife daily while we both work and my son loves to play games on it while in waiting room to get his allergy shots. I don't know I think as a whole our world has become dependent on such things.

If you started watching Revolution TV series for the past couple of weeks... Everything electrical comes to a stop. A woman carries her uncharged iphone around with her because it is the ONLY thing she has with pictures of her kids on it. I can see where this could happen to A LOT of people. Makes you think.

Aries Walker 09-26-2012 04:43 PM

He doesn't run a unique small business; he runs an unusual small business. Vocabulary fail.