ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   2014 NFL Combine - Players - The TEs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281612)

OldSchool 02-22-2014 01:52 PM

Gillmore reminds me a lot of McGrath. Slow and steady.

planetdoc 02-22-2014 01:54 PM

Sean McGrath ran a 4.78 (with a 1.64 ten yrd split)
fldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=86894&draftyear=2012&genpos=LS

Travis Kelce ran a 4.61 forty with a 1.61 ten yrd split
nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=83323&draftyear=2013&genpos=TE

OldSchool 02-22-2014 02:10 PM

Anyone else disappointed in their verts? Both Amaro and Ebron only jumped 30". No Vernon Davis in this draft, lol.

O.city 02-22-2014 02:11 PM

Kelce really ran a 4.61?

OldSchool 02-22-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10447006)
Kelce really ran a 4.61?

Yeah. Not at the combine though, so his "official time" would probably be around 4.7. Similar timed speed to Amaro.

O.city 02-22-2014 02:21 PM

Word on twitter is that Ebron is the only te likely to go in the first round

Mr_Tomahawk 02-22-2014 02:25 PM

@TerezPaylor: Texas A&M receiver Mike Evans said the #Chiefs were the first team he met with yesterday. Said he talked to WR coach David Culley.

planetdoc 02-22-2014 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447012)
Yeah. Not at the combine though, so his "official time" would probably be around 4.7. Similar timed speed to Amaro.

you can watch his pro day workout here:
youtube.com/watch?v=9_hOMcjJRx4

you can try to discount his speed all you want, but some things are undeniable. He is an explosive athlete. A 35'' vertical and 10' 4'' broad show that. That not something that can really change based on the field or conditions. Further, his play on the field seems to confirm other numbers from his pro day....mainly that he is quick and as athletic as any TE in this draft.

OldSchool 02-22-2014 02:35 PM

I am really intrigued by Leonard.

Positives:

The speed carries onto the field, he is a TE who can really take the top off of a defense.

He is good with the ball in his hands, he looks more like a WR on the field than a TE. I think that is where his future is. He was used on reverse runs if that tells you anything about how explosive of an athlete that he is.

His hands look pretty solid.

Negatives:

He doesn't have the strength to be a traditional TE. Like I said, he looks more like a big WR trying to play TE. If he wants to remain at TE, he's going to have to get a lot stronger for the NFL. Sometimes he can make the block but he also gets blown back more often than you would like.

His route running is raw and sometimes a little lazy. When he wants to though, he can turn on the jets and burn safeties and LBs alike.

Played against a low level of competition so you don't really know what you'll get when pitting him up against NFL level defenders.

Transferred from Florida because he beat his GF.

I would take him in the 4th or 5th.

OldSchool 02-22-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10447046)
you can watch his pro day workout here:
youtube.com/watch?v=9_hOMcjJRx4

you can try to discount his speed all you want, but some things are undeniable. He is an explosive athlete. A 35'' vertical and 10' 4'' broad show that. That not something that can really change based on the field or conditions. Further, his play on the field seems to confirm other numbers from his pro day....mainly that he is quick and as athletic as any TE in this draft.

I am not worried about his athleticism. More the fact that he sucked during pre-season, the game looked too big for him, and his injury. Some players who have had the same injury that he had were never the same again, it pretty much ended their careers. I want insurance for Kelce incase he follows their path.

planetdoc 02-22-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447058)
I am really intrigued by Leonard.

He is 6'2.3'' almost the exact height as dwayne bowe. I'd rather have a bigger TE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447063)
I am not worried about his athleticism. More the fact that he sucked during pre-season, the game looked too big for him

West Coast offense is not simple. lot to learn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447063)
, and his injury. Some players who have had the same injury that he had were never the same again, it pretty much ended their careers. I want insurance for Kelce incase he follows their path.

valid concern. I personally dont want to draft "insurance" early when the chiefs have such few picks and still have Fasano and McGrath available.

I dont expect a rookie TE in Reid's offense to provide more than their combined 50yrds 5tds last yr.

htismaqe 02-22-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10447091)
I personally dont want to draft "insurance" early when the chiefs have such few picks and still have Fasano and McGrath available.

Garbage and more garbage.

htismaqe 02-22-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10446826)
And he is very fast for a guy his size. He also runs crisp routes, has great hands and is football smart.

I'd be happy with him at 23, too.

He is a WR in a TE's body. Think Shannon Sharpe.

OldSchool 02-22-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planetdoc (Post 10447091)
He is 6'2.3'' almost the exact height as dwayne bowe. I'd rather have a bigger TE.

Hernandez wasn't a big TE and was even slower than Leonard, I think Leonard can be the same type of TE with slightly more speed. It would be great if we could find a TE who was 6'5" and ran the same time as Leonard did, but I don't think that you will ever find that. Leonard is a guy who can stretch the field from the TE position while Kelce/Fasano/McGrath works underneath.

planetdoc 02-22-2014 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10447101)
Garbage and more garbage.

exactly where I hold your opinions

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447110)
Hernandez wasn't a big TE and was even slower than Leonard, I think Leonard can be the same type of TE with slightly more speed.

true

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10447110)
Leonard is a guy who can stretch the field from the TE position while Kelce/Fasano/McGrath works underneath.

Personally, I expect the field to be stretched from the WR position. The offense can only have 11 men on the field. Team already has 7 dedicated to 5 lineman, a QB, and charles (who you want to keep on the field).

That leaves 4 players. Reid's runs a quick strike offense, and he wants Alex to get rid of the ball quickly. Guys like Avery and Jenkins can get down the field much more quickly than any TE.