ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Prayer Request ~~~~~~R.I.P Ralph The Cat ~~~~~~~~~ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267802)

Deberg_1990 12-18-2012 01:03 PM

Wow, sorry to hear this...

Reminds me of that scene in Fabulous Baker Boys at the Vet.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221332)
thanks

Ralph was 9-ish (rescue, so don't know exactly)

I resisted the constant pressure from vet to clean his teeth again but cat was starting to avoid dry food and i thought it might be his teeth so i gave in ........

:(

Was avoiding dry food and opting to NOT EAT AT ALL?

Or were you supplementing dry food with canned and he was opting to ignore dry food until you gave in and gave him canned food?

There's really no reason whatsoever to feed our pets canned food.

Buehler445 12-18-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221279)
He swears that Ralph hadn't even gone under anesthesia yet ... just the initial relaxing type shot.

Said kitty had a heart attack even though he admits that Ralph had shown zero signs of any heart condition in the initial exam today or any previous exam.

**** man, sorry to hear that. But you know, it's better than some painful horrible death that a lot of cats face. Our shop cat got really ****ing sick and went into the attic and died. I'm sure this was much more pleasant.

Sorry for your loss dude. The longer I live with Chief Dog, the more certain I am that pets are better than 95% of humans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221326)
Bill me?

The are lucky i don't go and burn the entire ****ing building down.

ROFL

Burn mother****er Burn!

MahiMike 12-18-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221234)
took him to the vet to get his teeth cleaned and it/they killed him :#

WTH? Did he swallow the floss?

WilliamTheIrish 12-18-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221279)
He swears that Ralph hadn't even gone under anesthesia yet ... just the initial relaxing type shot.

Said kitty had a heart attack even though he admits that Ralph had shown zero signs of any heart condition in the initial exam today or any previous exam.

Happens a lot with dogs and cats. It really does. Most vets are pretty good people. But they lose patients unexpectedly to strange circumstances just like people doctors.

Ebolapox 12-18-2012 01:16 PM

damn, man. sorry for your loss. I prefer my cats (and most cats) over 99% of all the people that I know.

BigCatDaddy 12-18-2012 01:18 PM

Wow. I was going to set up an appt to get my dogs teeth cleaned, but now am having 2nd thoughts.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-18-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221314)
This.

They push it hard and I've heard them try to suggest lately that tooth decay leads to heart disease, kidney failure, and all kinds of other maladies (it isn't limited to vets and pets either, my dentist does it too).

Bottom line - feed your cat or dog a hard kibble and take them to the vet when you HAVE TO.

You know outside of getting her spayed and getting her shots my 8 year old Jack Russell Wilson Terrier has never been to the vet. Never saw a need since she's always happy and normal. Reading this story makes me feel A LOT less guilty about that. Sorry Laz. That really, really sucks.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9221407)
You know outside of getting her spayed and getting her shots my 8 year old Jack Russell Wilson Terrier has never been to the vet. Never saw a need since she's always happy and normal. Reading this story makes me feel A LOT less guilty about that. Sorry Laz. That really, really sucks.

We have a REALLY good vet right now.

On Saturday, we had one of our indoor/outdoor cats attacked by either a stray dog or a coyote. He was losing a lot of blood so I called the vet.

He walked me through how to tell how much blood the cat was losing and how to tell if he was in danger of losing too much blood or going into shock. He gave me instructions on how to treat the wound and control the pain without using any medications.

Since it happened on a Saturday night, after dark, I figure he saved me over $200 in vet bills just by spending 10 minutes on the phone with me. And it saved him a trip to the office.

O.city 12-18-2012 01:31 PM

Tooth decay absolutely can lead to those things, but it's not highly likely and is pretty rare.

Key being, just go to the dentist every 6 months.

Graystoke 12-18-2012 01:32 PM

Wow, that just sucks.
Sorry to hear that.
I have a protocol with my cats, which happen to be great cats, and outside.
No Vet unless need shots, are deadly sick or have a fish hook caught in their mouths.

Sorry again.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9221429)
Tooth decay absolutely can lead to those things, but it's not highly likely and is pretty rare.

Key being, just go to the dentist every 6 months.

Preventing tooth decay doesn't necessarily require twice-a-year professional "cleanings" at $200-$300 a pop...

DeezNutz 12-18-2012 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear this, man.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 9221435)
Wow, that just sucks.
Sorry to hear that.
I have a protocol with my cats, which happen to be great cats, and outside.
No Vet unless need shots, are deadly sick or have a fish hook caught in their mouths.

Sorry again.

For my outdoor cats, I administer all the shots/vaccines.

tooge 12-18-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221314)
This.

They push it hard and I've heard them try to suggest lately that tooth decay leads to heart disease, kidney failure, and all kinds of other maladies (it isn't limited to vets and pets either, my dentist does it too).

Bottom line - feed your cat or dog a hard kibble and take them to the vet when you HAVE TO.

Heh. It's not tooth decay that leads to heart disease, it's periodontal disease (gum disease), and the link is 100% accurate.