ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Former MU WR Franklin impressing Chiefs (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=185209)

CoMoChief 05-26-2008 09:30 PM

Former MU WR Franklin impressing Chiefs

Former Missouri star wide receiver Franklin already impressing Chiefs
BY ADAM TEICHER | THE KANSAS CITY STAR

Will Franklin impressed the Chiefs with his quick moves and strong hands during the start of offseason workouts.
Chiefs rookie wide receiver Will Franklin has been taking in all he can during the first week of offseason workouts. The Chiefs already think Franklin, a fourth-round draft pick who was a star wideout at Missouri (below), can make the transition to professional football.

Dwayne Bowe led all rookie receivers last season in receptions and yardage, so he obviously figured out some things quickly.

He had to, as anyone who witnessed his spring debut can recall. Bowe, who was unsteady and fighting the ball every time it headed his way during spring practice last year, looked more like an undrafted rookie than a first-round pick.

In other words, Bowe looked like most rookie receivers. For whatever reason, receivers tend to strain in making the transition from college to the NFL even at a time of year — no contact allowed — when they should be shining.

All of which is why the Chiefs are cheered by the early play from Will Franklin, their fourth-round draft pick from Missouri. While it’s probably going too far to say Franklin was a star last week, the first of offseason practice for the Chiefs, he certainly didn’t look as if he were lost.

Franklin instead looked as if he belonged.

“He’s really quick making his moves, and he’s got really strong hands,” said quarterback Damon Huard, who now in his 12th NFL season has seen more than a few rookie receivers come and go.

“He’s dropped a couple of passes, but everyone’s dropped a couple. As a rookie receiver, it’s always tough for those guys coming into a situation like this. But he’s got the skills to be a special player. If he works hard at it, he will.”

Jeff Webb and Devard Darling are currently heading the line to be the starting wide receiver opposite Bowe. It’s not inconceivable Franklin could beat them out.

He just has the rookie thing to overcome. It’s easy to forget in light of Bowe’s big season, but even he didn’t begin the season as a starter. He inherited the spot in the second game left by Eddie Kennison, who went out with an injury on the first offensive play of the year.

“It’s unfamiliarity with the offense, for one, and with the quarterback,” said coach Herm Edwards, listing some of the reasons that rookie receivers have problems. “The window closes a lot faster in pro football than it does in college football, so you have to be more disciplined in your route running. All of those things are a factor.

“All of a sudden, you’re playing against good corners. That’s a difference.”

Webb caught 28 passes as a part-time player last season, but the Chiefs appear more comfortable with him as a reserve. Darling was unable to make much of an impression or earn much playing time in four seasons with Baltimore.

So Franklin might be their best hope for a dangerous downfield option to Bowe and tight end Tony Gonzalez. The Chiefs put his Arrowhead Stadium locker next to that of Gonzalez perhaps in the hope some of the wisdom might rub off.

“He tells me to do the extra things,” Franklin said. “The extra things will give you a longer career. (Gonzalez asks) ‘Do you want a two- or three-year career or a 10-year career like me?’ Those words alone tell me what it’s going to take.”

Franklin also has been hearing it from Bowe, whose locker is across the spacious room. But Bowe is loud enough to be heard over at Kauffman Stadium.

“He’s been in my ear every day in the meetings and even out there on the field,” Franklin said. “He’s wanting me to go out there and establish myself as the next receiver.

“I have no complaints. It’s going all right, but it’s going to get better the more I know and understand the offense.”

L.A. Chieffan 05-26-2008 09:30 PM

cut em

Mr. Laz 05-26-2008 09:33 PM

i fully expect him to make the team ..... and maybe be a real surprise.

he seems to have that "other" gear that great players have

blueballs 05-26-2008 09:33 PM

All A-dumb articles read in monotone for me

petegz28 05-26-2008 09:33 PM

Of course Franklin shines. He came from an offesne that would outscore the last 2 offenses the Chiefs fielded.

Basileus777 05-26-2008 09:35 PM

Crap Thorpe and Samie Parker impressed everyone too.

Hopefully Franklin works out, but at this time of year everyone is a future pro-bowler.

smittysbar 05-26-2008 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 4768908)
Of course Franklin shines. He came from an offesne that would outscore the last 2 offenses the Chiefs fielded.

:thumb:

Chiefs Pantalones 05-26-2008 09:53 PM

As a KU fan, I say **** him. But taking away the bias, I think he could shine. :)

lol jk, when a player becomes a Chief I automatically forget what school he attended until he sucks.

keg in kc 05-26-2008 09:55 PM

I really liked the pick on draft day, we'll see how it plays out.

TRR 05-26-2008 10:03 PM

Unlike players like Snoop Minnis, Samie Parker, and even Craphonso Thorpe, Will Franklin has an NFL body from the start. He is a big, strong target that won't have trouble getting away from press coverage, or taking punishment from safeties that hit like LB's.

I do look for Webb to have a better year than last year....For all of the problems KC had last season, Webb had a decent season catching the ball.

blueballs 05-26-2008 10:08 PM

If someone doesn't step up
I bet they go after a old vet for a year
give Brodie all the solid help they can

Pablo 05-26-2008 10:10 PM

He's impressing them, huh?

Must be spending a little extra time in Herm's office...

studying the playbook...

under the desk...

chiefs1111 05-26-2008 10:18 PM

sounds impressive,but i wanna see what he does in some real game action

ChiefRon 05-26-2008 10:21 PM

Sure would be sweet if this kid stepped up like Bowe did last year...

Pablo 05-26-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRon (Post 4769001)
Sure would be sweet if this kid stepped up like Bowe did last year...

I have a feeling the only way he'll get a real shot to step up like Bowe did is through the same type of injury situation.

If Darling/Webb go down and he's got to be the man, he'll get his chances. Although I'm sure Bowe will be Brodie's main downfield target and Tony will always be around for a good bail-out, Franklin might get the ball enough to really make an impact.