ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Gretz: Staying the Course (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=192746)

whoman69 09-28-2008 07:32 AM

Gretz: Staying the Course

I did a search for this and didn't find it. So if its already posted then don't harm any small animals. I really can't believe that the level of propoganda is such that they pulled a nugget from George Bush 2004.

Staying the Course
Sep 24, 2008, 9:07:45 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

Coaches all like to say they don’t pay much attention to the whirl of attention that swirls around their football teams, whether good or bad.

From experience I can tell you that’s generally true, but only because football organizations have all sorts of people under employment who put their ear to the ground and then report back on the tenor of the public discussion. Coaches don’t hear it, seldom read it and only occasionally see it, but they know what people and pundits are saying.

So Herm Edwards is quite aware that those who follow his football team are not very happy. He wouldn’t expect anything else, because he’s not happy. Remember, this is the guy who became famous for his “you play to win the game” rant while in New York. You can still find that one on YouTube.

He knows what a victory would mean, not only for his coaches and players, but Chiefs fans everywhere.

“(It would be) big, huge, like three Christmas rolled in one and New Year’s and everything else,” Edwards said on Tuesday.

“If people think it’s (losing) OK with me, it’s not. I also know there is pain in life you have to endure. If you quit, if you change direction and change your mind, then the character I think I have, is really not real. That’s one thing I’ve got. I won’t change. I can’t. I believe too much in what we are doing.

“I believe in these players. They are going to get better. They will get better and they will win. That’s what we are trying to do. It’s very simple.”

I don’t know about simple. Any time you are pulling together 53 different people, along with about 15 coaches and assorted other staff, there’s nothing simple about that. Introduce 15 rookies into that equation, guys that were on college campuses just a year ago, and simple it ain’t.

No matter what the big picture is, no matter how necessary the rebuilding of the football side of this franchise, it can’t disguise the fact that this team is 0-3 this season, 0-12 in its last dozen games and it hasn’t held a lead in 21 quarters over the last two seasons.

“You need something good to happen,” Edwards admitted. “But what you have to realize, there are some good things happening when you watch the tape. You see guys getting better and that’s what you build on. You build on little things.”

That’s why Edwards isn’t being fitted for a straightjacket, or renting a rubber room or heading for the Paseo Bridge to do a swan dive. Unlike the fans and media, Edwards is looking at the tape every week and seeing some of his babies growing up in front of his eyes. Those young guys they invested in during the 2008 NFL Draft are maturing every week.

“I watched Brandon Carr play at corner, a rookie corner, his first start, from Grand Valley (State) wherever he came from,” Edwards said. “He’s going to be a good football player. Those are things that reinforce everything when you look at guys.

“You watch Branden Albert play left tackle, when people wanted to know why you are taking this guy that played guard, he can’t play tackle. He’s played left tackle for three games without playing one pre-season game. He’s played pretty dad-gum good for a rookie

“I watched Brad Cottam after two weeks, all the sudden this third week things clicked. You watch him block and you go ‘Hum, that’s the guy we drafted.” I watched Jamaal Charles drop two balls and sit on the sidelines and have his head down. I had to go over there and rub his neck and say you are going to be OK. He caught the same pass in the third quarter and takes off and goes 20 yards with a pass that he dropped in the first half.

“Those are the things you grow on. You see things happening with your football team. You see these guys getting better.”

As painful as the last three weeks have been, Herm Edwards says he’s sticking to the outline for this season.

“Our plan is to get these young players better, to win with them, to win right now with them,” Edwards said. “We are going to keep coaching them. We are not going to change what we do with them. You can’t. It’s unfair to everybody. It’s unfair to the organization, it’s unfair to what we decided to do in the spring, and now all the sudden it’s becoming difficult because we are playing games and we are not winning. We are going to get better.

“That’s all you can do is keep coaching them and make them get better.”

Ultra Peanut 09-28-2008 07:35 AM

Cut. And. Run.

milkman 09-28-2008 07:52 AM

Someone needs to tell Herman ****ing Edwards that it isn't the plan or the players that we are pissed about.

I don't need to see the coach's tape to see that guys like Brandon Albert and Brandon Carr are looking like they belong, or to see Turk and Tank are growing and developing.

It's the coaching staff and the fear they show in gameplanning and playcalling that has us pissed.

They aren't helping these kids develop with this fearful approach, the kids are developing in spite of the staff.

'Hamas' Jenkins 09-28-2008 08:00 AM

So when do we get a surge of competent players, coaches, and executives?

And was the Pittsburgh Sex Toy debacle our own Abu Ghraib?

DTLB58 09-28-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5060665)
Someone needs to tell Herman ****ing Edwards that it isn't the plan or the players that we are pissed about.

I don't need to see the coach's tape to see that guys like Brandon Albert and Brandon Carr are looking like they belong, or to see Turk and Tank are growing and developing.

It's the coaching staff and the fear they show in gameplanning and playcalling that has us pissed.

They aren't helping these kids develop with this fearful approach, the kids are developing in spite of the staff.

Here, Here :clap:

I have no problem with the youth movement with this team, but watching them you just don't feel there is "hope" with these clowns coaching them.