ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Brinkman smoke n grill (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260589)

GloryDayz 08-27-2012 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 8856429)
One thing I've learned is, Kosher Salt is bad ass salt. It's much better in dry rubs than table salt, but a little goes a long way. So you don't need near as much. Must have salt in your rub.

Indeed....

Luke Warm 08-27-2012 12:34 PM

I'm not bbq saavy AT ALL. I don't even own a grill. My question is this....is there a way to cook ribs in the oven that will taste as/almost as good as on the grill or smoker or pit or whatever?

tooge 08-27-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8855507)
16oz tomato sauce
16oz ketchup
12oz chili sauce
1c apple cider vinegar
1c brown sugar
1c corn syrup
1/2c honey
1tbs worcestrshire
1tbs soy sauce
1/2c dry rub
1tbs hot sauce

simmer for 1/2hr

It makes a lot so, I usually make 1/2 a batch at a time unless I plan on cooking for a lot of people

this is almost identical to mine, but I use sorgum mollasses instead of corn syrup and honey, and I put a tad bit of yellow mustard in my suace

tooge 08-27-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke Warm (Post 8856837)
I'm not bbq saavy AT ALL. I don't even own a grill. My question is this....is there a way to cook ribs in the oven that will taste as/almost as good as on the grill or smoker or pit or whatever?

Try this. Demembrane the ribs. Coat liberally with rub. Place in middle rack for about three hours at 275 degrees. Place them in foil with a spritz of apple juice and cook another half hour. Remove from the oven, glaze with sauce of your choice, set oven to broil at 400. Remove ribs in about 15 minutes or when they are starting to get just a hint of char on them. If you add a little liquid smoke to your glaze, you can get some of that smoked flavor, but just be very careful not to overdo it. Most people wouldn't know the difference if you make em this way

tooge 08-27-2012 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8856020)
Agreed....Pork. Beef are just about pointless IMO!

I agree that pork ribs are killer, but some good beef shortribs bbqed very low and slow will actually knock your socks off. Think eating burnt ends off the point of a brisket right off the bone. They take longer but they are always a hit when I do them. People just like beef! Stay away from sweet rubs with them, and use a more savory sauce as well (reduced red wine, butter, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper). Plus, they are usually pretty cheap.

Luke Warm 08-27-2012 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8857029)
Try this. Demembrane the ribs. Coat liberally with rub. Place in middle rack for about three hours at 275 degrees. Place them in foil with a spritz of apple juice and cook another half hour. Remove from the oven, glaze with sauce of your choice, set oven to broil at 400. Remove ribs in about 15 minutes or when they are starting to get just a hint of char on them. If you add a little liquid smoke to your glaze, you can get some of that smoked flavor, but just be very careful not to overdo it. Most people wouldn't know the difference if you make em this way

Awesome. Thanks man.

GloryDayz 08-27-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8857063)
I agree that pork ribs are killer, but some good beef shortribs bbqed very low and slow will actually knock your socks off. Think eating burnt ends off the point of a brisket right off the bone. They take longer but they are always a hit when I do them. People just like beef! Stay away from sweet rubs with them, and use a more savory sauce as well (reduced red wine, butter, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper). Plus, they are usually pretty cheap.

Like an Australian Cisco TAC engineer once told me YEARS ago....(I'll) 'give it a go mate'...

GloryDayz 08-27-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 8857029)

I do this on rainy days sometimes. I'll just add that I place then on a wire rack, in a 13x9 jelly roll pan. I go with 225 and I place red wine or apple juice in the pan (not touching the ribs).

I go another hour to 90 minuted in the foil too.

A slight difference on the broil part is that I start with just a slight coat of butter at first, then I go with more rub and honey (or BBQ sauce) after that. Takes the "hint of char" part out of the mix, but you'll know.

Hey, do rib every weekend, there's a million good ways to go...

FlaChief58 08-27-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8857262)
Hey, do rib every weekend, there's a million good ways to go...

This, practice makes perfect I fire up my smoker at least 3 times a week. I'd put my pork and poultry up against any back yard grillmaster. Still working on making that perfect brisket though. Don't be afraid to try new recipes and methods until you find something you like. There is a lot of good info on the web too.

Luke Warm 08-27-2012 06:40 PM

Noted, thanks guys.

GloryDayz 08-27-2012 06:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 8857468)
This, practice makes perfect I fire up my smoker at least 3 times a week. I'd put my pork and poultry up against any back yard grillmaster. Still working on making that perfect brisket though. Don't be afraid to try new recipes and methods until you find something you like. There is a lot of good info on the web too.

I've been known to play around with brisket too.. That was a good day. I was smoking for my team's wrestling tournament... The good and bad news is that it didn't last long at all! Thank God for electric slicers.... :D

Luke Warm 08-27-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 8857815)
I've been known to play around with brisket too.. That was a good day. I was smoking for my team's wrestling tournament... The good and bad news is that it didn't last long at all! Thank God for electric slicers.... :D

Damn that looks so good.

lewdog 08-27-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Damn, three times a week!? It is too time intensive for me to do that while working but props to you man.

GloryDayz 08-27-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 8858023)
Damn, three times a week!? It is too time intensive for me to do that while working but props to you man.

And you can't have too many grills and smokers... Everything from the bobber hibachi for grilling flank steak (yeah, you want the coals hot and close!), to a side-fired smoker, to and electric bullet, to a charcoal bullet, to a weber, to a two-sided gas/charcoal grill. Yeah, you DO need them all!

Tell her.....:cuss:

jspchief 08-27-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Do you keep a journal?

I'm thinking of starting to journal the things I do so I have a good record of what worked and what didn't. I've been trying new rubs, cooking methods, etc. so often, I kind of lose track of the changes that I liked versus the one I didn't.