ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Mortenson on the radio (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=132553)

the Talking Can 01-01-2006 09:34 AM

Mortenson on the radio

most of this stuff is obvious...but it is interesting to note the amount of certainty he used with these notes:

Edwards - rumors are true, if he gets out of NY for whatever reason he will be our coach (he said this definitivly (sp?))

Williams - rumors about KC and St. Louis, but he is well paid in D.C, his family likes it there, and Snyder wants him to take over whenever Gibbs retires

Tice and Martz and Capers - fired on Monday (didn't stutter)

Ferentz - mentioned his reluctance to coach in the NFL, but said his name would come up with Green Bay, St. Louis, and maybe others (sounded like he was guessing)

Saunders - didn't mention him

Cleveland GM Phil Savage - Mortenson stands by his sources that say he was going to be fired, but that public reaction to the news was so negative that the Browns are now going to keep Savage...said he's never seen anything like it..

uh, I think that's it...

DTLB58 01-01-2006 09:39 AM

Saunders - didn't mention him

What? He dosen't have the same insider info that he is going to be HC of Detroit? :p

petegz28 01-01-2006 09:40 AM

I heard this morning the talk about Saunders in Detroit isn't all that strong.

htismaqe 01-01-2006 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28
I heard this morning the talk about Saunders in Detroit isn't all that strong.

Most of the talk right now is being generated from Nick Athan. It's another spreading internet rumor.

Check it out:
http://www.thelionsfanatics.com/tlff...howtopic=19057

What's really interesting is the number of Lions fans that are going to find another team if Saunders is hired...

old_geezer 01-01-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
What's really interesting is the number of Lions fans that are going to find another team if Saunders is hired...

Hell; if I was a Lion's fan I'd be looking for a new team no matter who was hired.

milkman 01-01-2006 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
Most of the talk right now is being generated from Nick Athan. It's another spreading internet rumor.

Check it out:
http://www.thelionsfanatics.com/tlff...howtopic=19057

What's interesting to me from that board, is that the Jets fan there told those guys they don't want Herm Edwards.

FringeNC 01-01-2006 10:14 AM

Why does Herm want out of NY? He doesn't seem very dedicated to the task at hand in NY.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-01-2006 10:16 AM

i didn't think tice would be fired, but i guess the last 2 weeks sealed his fate.

nascher 01-01-2006 10:27 AM

Mort mentioned Saunders on ESPN a few moments ago

Most likely

Edwards
Saunders
Childress

phxchief 01-01-2006 10:28 AM

To hell with Childress. We need a defensive-minded coach.

VonneMarie 01-01-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nascher

Most likely

Edwards
Saunders
Childress

OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMGGGGGGG! :Lin:

the Talking Can 01-01-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Most likely

Edwards
Saunders
Childress

give me Saunders

RedThat 01-01-2006 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxchief

Herm Edwards is the best choice imo.

siberian khatru 01-01-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Most likely

Edwards
Saunders
Childress

Brad Childress? That makes the least sense of all.

If we want to go offense, make Saunders the HC. Otherwise, go D and pick an up-and-coming DC.

Of course, we ARE talking Carl here. He'd let his ego allow Saunders to walk so he could replace him with Childress?

the Talking Can 01-01-2006 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Of course, we ARE talking Carl here. He'd let his ego allow Saunders to walk so he could replace him with Childress?

yes, he would,...

phxchief 01-01-2006 10:34 AM

Gregg Williams for me.

Great defensive mind, and everyone deserves a 2nd chance (Bill Belichick says hi).

Like someone else said, do you risk it for greatness or play it safe for mediocrity?

I believe Edwards can do an adequate job -- a little like Vermeil -- but no better. I get the feeling that Williams, or a guy like him, could propell the team to great things.

DTLB58 01-01-2006 10:34 AM

Quote:

Most likely

Edwards
Saunders
Childress

He also mentioned Butch Davis :mad:

and Ron Rivera :)

jspchief 01-01-2006 10:43 AM

If Ferentz takes an NFL job (which I doubt), and the Chiefs didn't even take a run at him, I'll be pissed off.

nascher 01-01-2006 11:09 AM

If Butch Davis comes here everybody wants DV back thats for sure.

FringeNC 01-01-2006 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru
Brad Childress? That makes the least sense of all.

If we want to go offense, make Saunders the HC. Otherwise, go D and pick an up-and-coming DC.

Perhaps Carl believes what a lot on here do -- that Saunders would be another Vermeil who would be soft and hold Gun's genius back.

the Talking Can 01-01-2006 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTLB58
He also mentioned Butch Davis :mad:

and Ron Rivera :)

seriously, he mentioned KC and Rivera?

milkman 01-01-2006 11:13 AM

Quote:

If Butch Davis comes here everybody wants DV back thats for sure.

You know, I sure as hell don't want Butch Davis, but that doesn't change the fact that I want Dick gone, nor did I want him in KC to begin with.

Butch Davis would be just the next Carl gaff in his HC selection.

I'll still be glad that Dick is gone, and looking forward to Butch's departure.

milkman 01-01-2006 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC
Perhaps Carl believes what a lot on here do -- that Saunders would be another Vermeil who would be soft and hold Gun's genius back.

Gun and genius in the same sentence! ROFL

The only thing holding back Gun's genius is that it's a myth.
It doesn't exist.

Rausch 01-01-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxchief

Exactly...

Eleazar 01-01-2006 11:24 AM

Oh lord... I don't like the way this is shaping up.

Sybil 01-01-2006 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can
give me Saunders

Hell, maybe Saunders is sticking it to Peterson. Using the Detroit story to get Carl to beg and plead, and PAY him to stay. :hmmm:

Eleazar 01-01-2006 11:28 AM

I'm going to go ahead and call it right now. We're going to get Herm Edwards. I'm going to beat my head against the coffee table when I see it on TV. We're going to have to put up with several more horrible years of mediocrity. It's going to suck. Carl and Edwards together...

I have angered the fates somehow. This team is not going to win the super bowl in my lifetime. I'm totally screwed as a football fan. But I can't leave. I can't just not be a fan. Why must you smite me so?

Arrrhgghhhhhhh

Deberg_1990 01-01-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
I'm going to go ahead and call it right now. We're going to get Herm Edwards. I'm going to beat my head against the coffee table when I see it on TV. We're going to have to put up with several more horrible years of mediocrity. It's going to suck. Carl and Edwards together...

I have angered the fates somehow. This team is not going to win the super bowl in my lifetime. I'm totally screwed as a football fan. But I can't leave. I can't just not be a fan. Why must you smite me so?

Arrrhgghhhhhhh

I wouldnt mind Herm Edwards. I just hope we dont have to give up any draft picks for him. Hes good, but NOT that good.

siberian khatru 01-01-2006 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
This team is not going to win the super bowl in my lifetime.

Be an optimist: Maybe you'll live to be 120.

RINGLEADER 01-01-2006 11:42 AM

I vote for Saunders...if he stays we have a better chance of keeping Roaf and a halfway decent offense for another year. Also would probably mean Gunther stays.

Mecca 01-01-2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER
I vote for Saunders...if he stays we have a better chance of keeping Roaf and a halfway decent offense for another year. Also would probably mean Gunther stays.

Gunther staying is a negative.........

Rausch 01-01-2006 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990
I wouldnt mind Herm Edwards. I just hope we dont have to give up any draft picks for him. Hes good, but NOT that good.

The next person who says it's even ****ing possible to trade draft picks for a head coach gets negative rep, once a day, FOR A WEEK!

VonneMarie 01-01-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch
The next person who says it's even ****ing possible to trade draft picks for a head coach gets negative rep, once a day, FOR A WEEK!

Yeah! :cuss:

milkman 01-01-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

I'm almost certain the NFL would rescind that rule, just for us! :p

htismaqe 01-01-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

While it's not possible to TRADE for a coach using draft picks, we could still lose draft picks.

If we've been talking to Herm at all, it's TAMPERING, and Tags most certainly could penalize us by taking draft picks. The only difference is that the Jets wouldn't get them.

tyton75 01-01-2006 01:31 PM

I vote Al Saunders for Head Coach... and let him do all the chit with the Offense

and finally give Gunther the freedom to hire his own guys and really set up the defense! don't let Al TOUCH the D!