ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Tapatalk Inserting Ads... Austinchief? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=281691)

jspchief 02-23-2014 04:51 PM

Tapatalk Inserting Ads... Austinchief?

Anyone else using paid version of tapatalk and getting ads disguised as threads?

From a summary search, it appears tapatalk paid has begun to place ads without forum admin's knowledge. Apparently the admin can opt out, but opt in is the default setting.

As much as I like tapatalk, this sounds like some shady shit. Particularly considering users paid for the app. I'm assuming AC isn't even aware it's happening.

Anyway, would like to hear AC's take and suggest dropping tapatalk.

BigMeatballDave 02-23-2014 05:18 PM

Like I need another reason to hate Tapatalk.

Buck 02-23-2014 05:21 PM

Happening to me too.

Anyong Bluth 02-23-2014 05:41 PM

I'm on it now, and a lot of the time with the paid version, and no problems like you're describing. FYI.

jspchief 02-23-2014 05:47 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/24/avymu9uj.jpg

DaFace 02-23-2014 05:59 PM

If there's an option to turn it off, I could see doing that, but it seems silly to "drop tapatalk" entirely. It's not like there's a better option out there, and those who don't like the ads can just stop using it.

jspchief 02-23-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10449030)
If there's an option to turn it off, I could see doing that, but it seems silly to "drop tapatalk" entirely. It's not like there's a better option out there, and those who don't like the ads can just stop using it.

It's a great app but the idea that they are inserting ads in someone's forum without consent just seems pretty slimy.

Not my call to make, but if it was I'd probably make it out of principle.

DaFace 02-23-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 10449035)
It's a great app but the idea that they are inserting ads in someone's forum without consent just seems pretty slimy.

Not my call to make, but if it was I'd probably make it out of principle.

And I'd be livid. I use Tapatalk exclusively on my phone, and the ads don't bother me personally. I'd literally stop coming to CP on my phone if Tapatalk weren't available.

Lex Luthor 02-23-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10449046)
And I'd be livid. I use Tapatalk exclusively on my phone, and the ads don't bother me personally. I'd literally stop coming to CP on my phone if Tapatalk weren't available.

I take it you don't have an iPhone? I use my iPhone to go to Chiefsplanet a lot, and I strongly prefer it to Tapatalk.

SPchief 02-23-2014 06:14 PM

I had ads inserted at the top of the page and every 3rd post in Google Chrome starting last week. Switched over to FireFox and no problem.

DaFace 02-23-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10449052)
I take it you don't have an iPhone? I use my iPhone to go to Chiefsplanet a lot, and I strongly prefer it to Tapatalk.

No, but I fail to see what an iPhone has to do with anything. It's not like Android's browsers are any different. I just like the Tapatalk interface dramatically more.

Buehler445 02-24-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10449046)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10449062)
No, but I fail to see what an iPhone has to do with anything. It's not like Android's browsers are any different. I just like the Tapatalk interface dramatically more.

Really? I paid the $3 or whatever to get it on my phone and spent a couple hours using it and deleted it from my phone. It seemed cumbersome and I missed the features that were unavailable. It's not bad on the full site at all. The only thing I have to zoom in for is to hit the little arrow to go to first new post.

I'm probably on my phone more than a PC over a years worth of browsing and I like the full site.

DaFace 02-24-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10449810)
Really? I paid the $3 or whatever to get it on my phone and spent a couple hours using it and deleted it from my phone. It seemed cumbersome and I missed the features that were unavailable. It's not bad on the full site at all. The only thing I have to zoom in for is to hit the little arrow to go to first new post.

I'm probably on my phone more than a PC over a years worth of browsing and I like the full site.

It took me a while to get used to it, but now that I am, I really like it. It loads way faster since it only loads the posts themselves, and it doesn't pre-load big images like gifs, again making it load the main page content better.

Instead of having to hit a relatively small link to move into a thread, you've got a space on the screen that's huge, so it's easy to click on without having to be anywhere near exact.

It's got a dark theme, so it's easier when I'm groggily checking things when I'm procrastinating getting up in the morning.

It takes a lot more vertical scrolling - that's the main thing that takes a while to get used to. And it doesn't do polls for some reason. Aside from that, it's a much nicer phone experience for me.

Buehler445 02-24-2014 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 10449815)
It took me a while to get used to it, but now that I am, I really like it. It loads way faster since it only loads the posts themselves, and it doesn't pre-load big images like gifs, again making it load the main page content better.

Instead of having to hit a relatively small link to move into a thread, you've got a space on the screen that's huge, so it's easy to click on without having to be anywhere near exact.

It's got a dark theme, so it's easier when I'm groggily checking things when I'm procrastinating getting up in the morning.

It takes a lot more vertical scrolling - that's the main thing that takes a while to get used to. And it doesn't do polls for some reason. Aside from that, it's a much nicer phone experience for me.

I guess I don't have that much of a problem. Only the girly threads and GIF'd up took awhile to load, even on my slow ass iPhone 4. When I used it, it didn't seem to add much and definitely killed some of the experience.

DaFace 02-24-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10449980)
I guess I don't have that much of a problem. Only the girly threads and GIF'd up took awhile to load, even on my slow ass iPhone 4. When I used it, it didn't seem to add much and definitely killed some of the experience.

Sure, and that's fine. My point is just that I enjoy Tapatalk and would be pretty irritated if it were removed as an option - just like you would be pretty irritated if suddenly Tapatalk were the ONLY option. If you don't like the ads on Tapatalk, it seems like the solution is pretty simple...