ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Are NFL quarterbacks becoming too good? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263643)

loochy 09-14-2012 11:34 AM

Are NFL quarterbacks becoming too good?

Cassel gets a 72.5 QB rating last week....went 21 for 33.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/8644/matt-cassel

This is proof that QBs are too good.

A Salt Weapon 09-14-2012 12:31 PM

Maybe the NFL will require them to wear gloves, that should even out the playing field a bit. No more Flaco 50y bombs from his back foot.

Since Cassel is the worst starting qb in the league he would be exempt.
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR 09-14-2012 12:40 PM

I think CBs should be allowed to actually defend passes.

Right now there are so many restrictions on them going up against taller, faster WRs than ever before. I'm surprised there are as many good CBs in this league as there are.

Which is another reason why the hallmark of any great Super Bowl team is its franchise corners. And you find franchise corners in the 1st round.

whoman69 09-14-2012 01:19 PM

Amazingly his ESPNQBR rating, probably because of the INTs. They probably were like the rest of media and said they weren't his fault.

ChiefGator 09-14-2012 02:33 PM

I actually think teams are getting worse at running the ball, but I can't figure out why. Damn Packers can't run the ball to save their life, although Cedric is helping them some. Steelers seemed to have forgotten how to run the ball effectively. etc..

RealSNR 09-14-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 8910107)
I actually think teams are getting worse at running the ball, but I can't figure out why. Damn Packers can't run the ball to save their life, although Cedric is helping them some. Steelers seemed to have forgotten how to run the ball effectively. etc..

The Packers can't run the ball because they rarely trust their ballcarriers to shoulder the offensive burden, even when things are going well.

Well, it's both that, and all of their RBs after Ryan Grant have sucked ass. James Starks, Brandon Saine, Brandon Jackson, John Kuhn, etc. Hell, even Ryan Grant was only really good for 2 or 3 seasons. You have to go back to Ahman Green if you want to find a RB on that team that made establishing the run in a game a worthwhile venture.

feldspar 09-14-2012 04:01 PM

My starting QB isn't becoming too good, I'll tell you that.

Gotta figure that the rules favor QBs a lot more than they used to, receivers too. The game is a lot different than it used to be in that respect.

KC Jones 09-14-2012 07:08 PM

You should check out his QBR on ESPN - 7th best ranking in week 1.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/qbr

listopencil 09-14-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 8909583)

This is proof that QBs are too good.

No, it's proof that ESPN likes to make up stupid shit to generate hype.

Bump 09-14-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 8909814)

Right now there are so many restrictions on them going up against taller, faster WRs than ever before. I'm surprised there are as many good CBs in this league as there are.

Which is another reason why the hallmark of any great Super Bowl team is its franchise corners. And you find franchise corners in the 1st round.

they can also be found in the 6th round. Oh wait we did find one in the 6th round, he's playing for Dallas though, even though we have the most cap space, bummer.

MMXcalibur 09-14-2012 11:49 PM

I want to like Matt Cassel. I really do.
He seems like a pretty cool guy. Shame he's not that great of a quarterback...

Fishpicker 09-14-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

this.

it's been a problem since 2003/2004(?) when the league decided to crack down on physical play by defensive backs.

another problem is the inconsistency once the end of the game is near. refs will throw PI flags through 3 quarters and then allow big name defensive backs mugging receivers. face guarding penalties are ridiculous too because face guarding doesn't work at all.

chiefzilla1501 09-15-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 8910107)

Teams that commit to running the ball with a good rb are fine. But these days, teams are building around the spread, the shotgun, four wr sets, and running sets that don't use a fullback. Tight ends are becoming receivers instead of blockers. These are all trends that really started after the nfl tightened up rules on corners being able to guard receivers.

I agree with this thread. Think the nfl wanted to create a passing league to boost ratings, but it's made the game worse. It's made the qb position way too important and sorry, a well fought game between a balanced 49ers and cowboys team is far more exciting to me than watching a pitiful defensive shootout between green bay and new Orleans.

Dave Lane 09-15-2012 06:10 AM

Quote:

Morning Bob.

ILChief 09-15-2012 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCtotheSB (Post 8911139)
I want to like Matt Cassel. I really do.
He seems like a pretty cool guy. Shame he's not that great of a quarterback...

I used to want to like him. Now I just want him gone.