ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Luke Joeckel may pique Chiefs’ interest at No. 1 overall (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=268644)

duncan_idaho 01-09-2013 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 9299484)
The hype is better than the product...

If teams around the league thought that, Smith would be out trying to prove it is wrong.

Players who have perception problems don't sit around and wait for teams to come to them. Players whose stock is at a peak or near-peak are the ones who do that...

Rausch 01-09-2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 9299495)
If teams around the league thought that, Smith would be out trying to prove it is wrong.

Players who have perception problems don't sit around and wait for teams to come to them.

That's exactly what they do...

RINGLEADER 01-09-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9299423)
These writers are playing the percentages. They know that the Chiefs hate to draft QBs. In 30 years the Chiefs haven't drafted one in the first round so that is what they are predicting will happen again. Reid will take a QB in round one because he knows there isn't one on the team now.

Right now they're trolling... When it comes right down to it the choice of Geno may not be the traditional #1 pick based on talent alone, but there is a glaring need that most of these guys are just discounting too much IMO.

If you swing and whiff we'll see pretty soon and we can take a QB in another draft. It's not like the past where missing at #1 crippled your franchise. But I don't see why we don't invest in Branden Albert (no need at LT then), we have Poe/Powe at DT (the only other position I've really heard promoted by the "experts"), and there's no way you burn the #1 on an ILB who just got handily outplayed. You take a QB, knowing if everything falls apart you do it again next season and you're set at back-up.

The only caveat is if you can out-maneuver other teams and take him later for more picks. This is why Reid's statements about maybe not taking a QB don't bother me at all at this point. If we can get someone else in the top 5 who isn't the Raiders to deal then you deal...but unfortunately I could see Jax take him at #2 so the "out-maneuver" option probably doesn't exist unless you're willing to settle for another QB and you're willing to let the draft order tell you who that QB will be.

RINGLEADER 01-09-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Players who have perception problems don't sit around and wait for teams to come to them. Players whose stock is at a peak or near-peak are the ones who do that...

Don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed.

Frankie 01-09-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9298479)
Nobody trades up to #1 for a LT, lol.

Enough hype, and anything can happen. LT Jake Long (whom I wanted for us at the time) appeared to be one we could pick at 5. But he went at 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 9298479)
IF anyone trades into #1 this year, it will be for Geno Smith or Tyler Wilson.

Geno maybe, because of the hype. Wilson, no, because stat-wise he just hasn't had that type of a year.

My personal opinion is someone will get a possible gem in Wilson late in the 1st or early in the 2nd because on paper he had a subpar senior year. Ala Marino.

Frankie 01-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9298502)
I think Andy Reid has Geno locked in, but would move the pick for the right price.

Before we hired Andy, I was adamant about not trading down...but if the guy adds a couple extra firsts and still comes out of the draft with Barkley, Geno, Wilson or Bray...I'd be ok with it.

I trust Andy Reids evaluation.

I like Bray's talent VERY MUCH. But I had written him off because of his off field stuff. I wonder if Any is the type of coach who could put him in the right path to develop. If he is, I'd be very willing to put Bray at the top of my QB wish list in a trade down.

htismaqe 01-09-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Exactly.

Thig Lyfe 01-09-2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 9298354)
Couldn't possibly have anything to do with having McNabb on his team for 10 seasons

No shit. He's also been known to take over a team and immediately draft the best QB available.

ILChief 01-09-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie (Post 9299713)
I like Bray's talent VERY MUCH. But I had written him off because of his off field stuff. I wonder if Any is the type of coach who could put him in the right path to develop. If he is, I'd be very willing to put Bray at the top of my QB wish list in a trade down.

What are Bray's off the field issues?

Rausch 01-09-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 9299748)
What are Bray's off the field issues?

He's an immature idiot.

Everything about him screams Ryan Leaf...

Mr. Laz 01-09-2013 11:37 AM

If we do select any position other than a QB then we need to be prepared to trade back into the 1st round and select the QB we want.

1st round (1st pk) - ???
1st round(15th pk) - Tyler Wilson

Frankie 01-09-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9298508)
If somebody is trading up, it's for a QB.

Trading down is just asking to end up empty-handed. Forget it.

Actually, IMO, for a team like the Chiefs a good trade down should seriously be considered in any draft. Unless of course there is an Andrew Luck sitting there.

Desperation drafting is actually "asking to end up empty-handed", IMO.

suds79 01-09-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9299758)
If we do select any position other than a QB then we need to be prepared to trade back into the 1st round and select the QB we want.

1st round (1st pk) - ???
1st round(15th pk) - Tyler Wilson

I just don't see Tyler Wilson lasting that long after workouts and he shows off that arm.

Not with this many teams needing QB.

US, Jax, Oak, Buff, Arizona.

Rausch 01-09-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 9299770)
I just don't see Tyler Wilson lasting that long after workouts and he shows off that arm.

Not with this many teams needing QB.

US, Jax, Oak, Buff, Arizona.

And after that there are about 12 teams that don't need one...

Frankie 01-09-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9298580)
I'm with ya...I'm just saying I wouldn't be pissed if he went that direction.

What if he grades 3 quarterbacks evenly and can add 2 extra firsts moving to 4 or 5?...he would still get one of them.

You just beat me to this answer. Exactly the way I look at it too.