ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Don't rave too much about this defense yet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=148027)

B_Ambuehl 09-18-2006 10:55 AM

Don't rave too much about this defense yet

This defense still has some major problems and major holes to fill before they can be consistently good. The same thing happened yesterday that happened against Cincinnati. Denver found a rhythm and were able to march up and down the field almost at will late in the game. Over 200 yards given up in the 2nd half yesterday....that ain't gonna cut it.

This football team has exactly one sack in 2 games. No consistent pass rush. They're still giving up long runs too boot. Even as good as the run defense *looked* yesterday Denver still averaged 4 yds/carry whcih will usually get you beat in close defensive football games.

In the secondary Law looks like there's something wrong with him...he can't stop, start, and change direction. Maybe injury....maybe just old age.

ChiefsfaninPA 09-18-2006 10:59 AM

You can throw all the stats and opinions out that you want but this defense looks WAY better than any D I have seen fielded around here in quite some time. They will improve as the season progresses and a lot of our talent is young guys. This D is worth being excited about.

jspchief 09-18-2006 11:06 AM

Denver's offensive gameplan was almost as leashed as ours. I'm still skeptical about us being that good.

jidar 09-18-2006 11:07 AM

This defense kept Denver to 9 points at home. If they perform like this all season then they're a good defense.

God that's something we haven't been able to say around here for a long time. Good Defense.

Yeah if they keep it up, they're good. That's the bottom line.

Saulbadguy 09-18-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief
Denver's offensive gameplan was almost as leashed as ours. I'm still skeptical about us being that good.

Exactly.

StcChief 09-18-2006 11:12 AM

I saw Law 'slip' too vs. Jevon Walker. Pile high dry Turf as the dust flew...
In general he played well was on top of him.

Because he didn't get an INT or Pick 6 on Jake he played bad?

I don't think so. This D is a top 10-15 easy.

GoodDaySir! 09-18-2006 11:15 AM

From today's Denver Post:

"I thought we dialed it back a little bit. We put a little more pressure on our defense," said Shanahan, who admitted after five turnovers against the Rams last week he was not about to let Plummer throw the same junk around his own backyard Sunday.

CupidStunt 09-18-2006 11:16 AM

Stud DT away from a very good defense imo.

And I'm usually called a pessimist. Not to Logical's level, or even close it, but still. I disagree with the assessment personally.

donkhater 09-18-2006 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl
This football team has exactly one sack in 2 games. No consistent pass rush. They're still giving up long runs too boot. Even as good as the run defense *looked* yesterday Denver still averaged 4 yds/carry whcih will usually get you beat in close defensive football games.

Be careful. You'll get run out of town with opinions like this.

htismaqe 09-18-2006 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief

I said it last week and I'll say it again:

It doesn't matter if Denver was conservative or not, this defense stopped them time and again. Team's played conservative offense against us in the past and yet they continued to score and accumulate yardage.

Paniero 09-18-2006 11:27 AM

Yes!

Good defense and poor offensive potential. Now all we need is to bring the Tomahawk Chop back and we'll be in 1994 again.

jspchief 09-18-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe
I said it last week and I'll say it again:

It doesn't matter if Denver was conservative or not, this defense stopped them time and again. Team's played conservative offense against us in the past and yet they continued to score and accumulate yardage.

When Denver needed it most, they got it.

I've said all along that I think this defense is better than most Chiefs fans do. They were better last year than people recognize and I expect continued improvement.

But I also recognize that Shanahan is was trying to grip on a QB situation that was in a tailspin. The offense we faced was toned down. Period. I'm not going to put more stock into holding Denver to 9 points than is really there.

This defense hasn't been put to a true test yet IMO. They've faced a Cincy O that was in cruise control by halftime, and a Denver O that was leashed in an attempt to stave off QB controversy. It's a good start, but it's only a start.

B_Ambuehl 09-18-2006 11:28 AM

Quote:

I saw Law 'slip' too vs. Jevon Walker. Pile high dry Turf as the dust flew...
In general he played well was on top of him.

Because he didn't get an INT or Pick 6 on Jake he played bad?

More than slipping he's looking a lot like he was looking last year against the Jets when he was supposed to be injured. I watched a lot of Jets football last year and he's quite a bit leaner but looks to be moving about the same. His legs just don't look "there". He gambled a lot and got some interceptions but he was also targeted often last year. I dont see anything changing thus far. Along with giving up several first downs he gave up THE big play down the field yesterday that cost us a football game. Yeah he's a corner and those things will occassionally happen but that's the bottom line.....for his $50 million or whatever price tag i'd expect more.

RedThat 09-18-2006 11:30 AM

Too be honest, I'm getting excited about this defense. I think they're in a transition stage right now, and I think they'll get better as the season progresses.

I've noticed a few things here, that NEVER happened with Vermeil.
Our tackling has improved bigtime. Especially in the secondary. And, we haven't given up the big plays YET. We're playing a lot smarter. Our players are reading plays, batting down balls, etc.

Few things we need to do though, to become an even BETTER defense, we need to force more turnovers. Go after the ball more, force fumbles. And we have got to create more pressure on the QB. Im still seeing the opposing QB having some time to throw the football.

Other than that, if you ask me, we're headed in the right direction on defense. Tackling, and not giving up big plays is a GREAT start.

PastorMikH 09-18-2006 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StcChief

Right now according to ESPN we are 8th on overall D.