ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Xbox 720 vs PlayStation 4: Whats in Store? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=255148)

Deberg_1990 01-17-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8306336)
This is part of the problem with you guys using AT&T and Comcast for Internet - they're also cable TV providers.

I'll bet you that the bandwidth caps don't include U-verse TV, do they?

This is the whole idea behind network neutrality - AT&T and companies like them implement bandwidth limits and throttling so that your (negative) experiences with Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and the rest gradually coerce you into consuming all of THEIR content.

It's a difficult subject because ultimately they own the network you're using and should have the right to use it however they want. However, what they're doing is extremely anti-competitive.

The only clear solution is for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, vudu, etc to become their own ISP's so they don't have to rely on anyone else to deliver their content. :)

007 01-17-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

This is part of the problem with you guys using AT&T and Comcast for Internet - they're also cable TV providers.

This is the whole idea behind network neutrality - AT&T and companies like them implement bandwidth limits and throttling so that your (negative) experiences with Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and the rest gradually coerce you into consuming all of THEIR content.

It's a difficult subject because ultimately they own the network you're using and should have the right to use it however they want. However, what they're doing is extremely anti-competitive.

Yep, uverse even has a bandwidth cap for all internet usage but not for usage of their ATT services such as VOD.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8306359)
The only clear solution is for Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, vudu, etc to become their own ISP's so they don't have to rely on anyone else to deliver their content. :)

That will never, ever happen.

Even Google, who aggressively acquired wireless spectrum, hasn't found a way to make it work.

007 01-17-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306355)
You guys must be watching a shit ton of Netflix.

Netflix, Vudu, Playon and CinemaNow. I've come to appreciate not having to go to the store to rent a movie. Vudu is the best one of the rental sites because you get multiple views during your rental unlike other sites that only give you one view.

SLAG 01-17-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

I agree with this 100%

When I moved to IL in Aug. I was soooo angry that I had to pick between ATT and Comcast - I went with Comcast because ATT wanted me to wait 3 weeks for installation - I just couldn't do that

Pants 01-17-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306369)
Netflix, Vudu, Playon and CinemaNow. I've come to appreciate not having to go to the store to rent a movie. Vudu is the best one of the rental sites because you get multiple views during your rental unlike other sites that only give you one view.

LMAO

Then you shouldn't complain about rising internet service costs.

kcxiv 01-17-2012 06:29 PM

Cloud streaming for the FIghting game community is terrible. You have to be so damn precise in your reactions that it will make playing fighting games unplayable. We already have to deal with a little lag for online play, imagine online play plus cloud streaming? shit would be a good half a second behind and thats not good at all. I would be pissed considering thats pretty much all i play right now is fighting games.

Deberg_1990 01-17-2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306375)
LMAO

Pretty much, just bend over and take it or go back to Blockbuster, Redbox or Netflix mail order.

007 01-17-2012 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306375)
LMAO

JFC. I'm not even in the same ballpark as the people you are complaining about. Hell, we only rent one movie a month. The reason we watch it more than once is because my wife and I work totally different shifts and rarely can sit down to watch a movie together. Especially with 4 kids.

I don't like the price of ISP because the the caps they are throwing up and also reducing down. The big problem is everything wanting to go to cloud based service. While it is a great idea, the ISPs are going to kill it with their greed to bleed customers for their use of it.

I already budget my bandwidth usage the same as we budget our monthly expenses with the bank. It's a pain in the ass too. At least now that I am switching from cox to ATT DSL and increasing my bandwidth from 50gb to 150gb I won't have to keep such a close eye on it.

Pants 01-17-2012 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8306388)
Pretty much, just bend over and take it or go back to Blockbuster, Redbox or Netflix mail order.

Well, I use a fraction of the bandwidth Guru and SLAG use and I'm still getting bent over with a $105 monthly bill. I'm guessing it's because TW has to cover the cost of their customers putting the equivalent of an average hard drive through their pipes on a monthly basis.

htismaqe 01-17-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 8306385)
Cloud streaming for the FIghting game community is terrible. You have to be so damn precise in your reactions that it will make playing fighting games unplayable. We already have to deal with a little lag for online play, imagine online play plus cloud streaming? shit would be a good half a second behind and thats not good at all. I would be pissed considering thats pretty much all i play right now is fighting games.

Hence the reason I said they pretty much have to use on-disk local caching for performance reasons...

007 01-17-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 8306401)
Well, I use a fraction of the bandwidth Guru and SLAG use and I'm still getting bent over with a $105 monthly bill. I'm guessing it's because TW has to cover the cost of their customers putting the equivalent of an average hard drive through their pipes on a monthly basis.

$105 for your internet alone? Seriously?

SnakeXJones 01-17-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306394)
JFC. I'm not even in the same ballpark as the people you are complaining about. Hell, we only rent one movie a month. The reason we watch it more than once is because my wife and I work totally different shifts and rarely can sit down to watch a movie together. Especially with 4 kids.

I don't like the price of ISP because the the caps they are throwing up and also reducing down. The big problem is everything wanting to go to cloud based service. While it is a great idea, the ISPs are going to kill it with their greed to bleed customers for their use of it.

I already budget my bandwidth usage the same as we budget our monthly expenses with the bank. It's a pain in the ass too. At least now that I am switching from cox to ATT DSL and increasing my bandwidth from 50gb to 150gb I won't have to keep such a close eye on it.

U should look to see if netzero is available around ur area unlimited and cheap dsl

Pants 01-17-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8306407)
$105 for your internet alone? Seriously?

No, internet and cable.

007 01-17-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnakeXJones (Post 8306410)
U should look to see if netzero is available around ur area unlimited and cheap dsl

32.95 for 6mbps isn't bad at all. Wonder what their bandwidth cap is?