ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Particles found to break speed of light (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=250437)

Pants 09-23-2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Ass (Post 7934824)
If confirmed, I guess it's time to redevelop the special theory of relativity. Should be pretty easy, right?

Only for Frankie. Not so much for the rest of us.

FAX 09-23-2011 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by topher79 (Post 7934734)
Not to be a complete dork but faster than light particles, called tachyons, have been theorized for quite some time. Also, particles traveling faster than light to a distant observer, as in this experiment, does not violate the general theory of relativity or any other physical law. In fact it's the basic premise behind wormholes. The experimental results from the article sound intriguing but the article should've stopped there.

It's a scientific fact that midgets smell funny. However, if a midget falls into a sewer, he smells even worse. What difference does it make "how" the midget got into the sewer? The result is the same. Stinky midget.

The same principle applies to particles. If, say, a particle goes from point A to point B via a wormhole faster than the particle would have otherwise traveled in normal space and the "speed of light" threshold is broken, it doesn't matter what path the particle took, the result is faster-than-light travel. That's what Scotty says, anyhow.

FAX

Halfcan 09-23-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 7933182)
Pretty much. Einstein was and is wrong.

Well he didnt have any fancy equipment either-lol

Frankie 09-23-2011 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jive Ass (Post 7934824)
If confirmed, I guess it's time to redevelop the special theory of relativity. Should be pretty easy, right?

The new Theory of Relativity:

If relatives show up unexpectedly at your door the number of days they will stay is directly a function of the hints (squared) that you produce.

Here's the formula:

RD = 1/H2

R = Number of relatives
D = Days they will stay
H = Number of hints

Halfcan 09-23-2011 12:53 PM

The only thing that seems to move fast than those sub atomic particles is the Chiefs season down the drain.

WhiteWhale 09-23-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 7934235)
Years ago, Mr. scorpio, when I was a mere N00b (sp?), I not only learned that William Carlos Williams was certifiably insane and a person whose work should be avoided at all costs, I also became acutely aware that stating the obvious is often necessary here on ChiefsPlanet. As I matured as a poster, I later came to realize that some people suffer from such severe, singular, one-dimensional thinking that they cannot see beyond the literal wording of each post they read. These are the posters, by the way, who tend to kill conversation while adding nothing to the discussion themselves.

With that in mind, please allow me to elaborate on my prior comment;

The scientific community (as I'm sure you are aware) have universally accepted Einstein's "theories" (both special and general) as a sort of gold standard in physics. It is taught as fundamental truth in most schools and physicists who have followed Einstein have sought to build upon his work.

Not only that, it's probably safe to say that, over the last 90 or so years, most assumptions made involving particle research, electrodynamics, cosmology, etc. are essentially based upon the "theory". This is due, no doubt, to the "fact" that, according to Einstein himself, the mathematics supporting relativity allow for no deviation. None. And this "fact" has been generally assumed by the scientific community since Einstein published.

Were this not the case, thoughtful persons would neither be shocked nor surprised to learn that the bases of the "theory" can be proven false.

To make it even clearer (hopefully), when or if Einstein is ultimately found to be wrong, much of the research which flowed from his "theory" is little more than a glass house built upon a glass foundation inhabited by glassholes not unlike yourself.

FAX

I'm not sure you can say that when you look at all the practical technology that is only possible because of the theory. Everything from computers to atomic explosions. These things are far more than glass houses... they're practical examples of his theory.

One day we will find (as we have done dozens of times) that our current evolutionary theory has mistakes. That does not make all of the previous work irrelevant in any way. It simply brings us closer to a complete truth.

Nothing Einstein did is a glass house... it's only because of his theory that we have tests challenging it. As I'm sure you're aware. If you pull one straw from a scientific theory it doesn't crumble into uselessness, it simply brings us closer to the truth.

</post> 09-23-2011 02:45 PM

http://i.imgur.com/MR9Fa.jpg

WhiteWhale 09-23-2011 02:47 PM

Also, everytime I hear about Cern I feel like making a John Titor joke.

Fish 09-23-2011 02:51 PM

It looks like this is being treated with incredible skepticism by the scientific community so far. Lots of harsh criticism....

This article gives some better insight and some funny responses from other scientists...

Full article: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/th.../2011/sep/23/1

Excerpt:

Quote:

Why so much scepticism? Carl Sagan once said that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." If your experiment seems to break the laws of physics, then the prior probability of the result is so tiny that you're more likely to have made a mistake than a new discovery, and you're going to have to work hard to convince people otherwise. The claims being made here are certainly in that category. As Nature put it:
"If neutrinos are travelling faster than light speed, then one of the most fundamental assumptions of science — that the rules of physics are the same for all observers — would be invalidated. "
Extraordinary claims indeed, but while they could be true there's little substance behind them so far. The evidence is a single, tentative finding, contradicted by other observations of neutrinos which have failed to see the same effect. The work has yet to be properly published or peer reviewed, let alone scrutinized or replicated by the scientific community. At the time the Reuters report appeared, the researchers hadn't even uploaded their draft paper to Arxiv, the pre-print repository. We don't know if the claim is true or not, but we know that if it is, it needs more substantial evidence behind it.

Fish 09-23-2011 02:57 PM

Ha...

http://twitter.com/#!/jimalkhalili/s...60630527594496

Quote:

@jimalkhalili Jim Al-Khalili
Right, if the CERN experiment proves to be correct and neutrinos have broken the speed of light, I will eat my boxer shorts on live TV.

FAX 09-23-2011 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 7935466)
I'm not sure you can say that when you look at all the practical technology that is only possible because of the theory. Everything from computers to atomic explosions. These things are far more than glass houses... they're practical examples of his theory.

One day we will find (as we have done dozens of times) that our current evolutionary theory has mistakes. That does not make all of the previous work irrelevant in any way. It simply brings us closer to a complete truth.

Nothing Einstein did is a glass house... it's only because of his theory that we have tests challenging it. As I'm sure you're aware. If you pull one straw from a scientific theory it doesn't crumble into uselessness, it simply brings us closer to the truth.

What's happened to this place lately? It's like a jungle in here. A midget eat midget environment where only the most obtuse can survive.

Uhhh ... I can only assume that this post is referring to the section you highlighted, Mr. WhiteWhale. If so, please note the use of the terms "if" and "much" and word things like that.

As for your point (as I think I understand it), sure ... they physical sciences have progressed in many ways over the past century and much of that progress is based, in part, on Einstein's work. Then again, we have yet to develop a warp drive (or, at least, the government hasn't told us about it).

I believe, though, that in 500 years or so, the science of matter and energy as we currently understand it will have evolved to such a degree that, looking back, our current scientific "beliefs" and "principles" will appear almost as a kind of entheomania.

Another way of looking at it is this; the "progress" of or "advances" in science are admissions that prior "truths" were, in fact, somewhat untrue or ... as you say, incomplete. As new information emerges, the baby doesn't always go out with the bathwater, but on the other hand, sometimes it actually does.

Of course, I also think it's unlikely that ancient Egyptians built an earthen ramp big enough to haul megalithic stones 400 feet into the air.

FAX

alnorth 09-23-2011 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGekko (Post 7933392)
I'd love for this to be true.

The speed of light/speed of information barriers casts a dark light on future exploration of the universe.

Agreed. We'll all be long dead before it becomes relevant, but if the speed of light cant be broken, then the only way we'll ever explore and colonize other solar systems will be by using generation ships where people are born, live, and die in the ship. The problem with that approach is that 4 generations in some idiot will gather some idiot followers, fight a coup or something, and inadvertently blow the ship up.

That, or maybe we perfect the ability to cryogenically freeze and reanimate people without any harm.

Either way there are other issues though even if you assume we find lots of planets in habitable zones that can be settled. Without the ability to stay in communication, each "colony" or whatever you call it will evolve with vastly different beliefs and philosophies to the point where if you ever do encounter another group of people who have been cut off from earth thousands of years, they may have forgotten their roots and see you as an enemy.

Cant have vast sci-fi space civilizations without FTL travel and information.

FAX 09-23-2011 11:07 PM

What if we do the generation ship deal and say ... oh ... about 3 generations in, the people forget where they were supposed to go and decide to turn around?

What happens then?

FAX

FAX 09-23-2011 11:19 PM

What if we build a generation ship and send it off to a planetary system say ... 200 light years away and just as they arrive, the star explodes? That would suck.

Also, why didn't they have teleporters in Star Wars like they did in Star Trek? And why didn't the Federation just set up teleporters all over the galaxy instead of using ships to travel around? Is there a limit to how far a teleporter can work? And, why didn't they teleport food and clothing and things onto the ship instead of having to stop for supplies? And couldn't the teleporter operator teleport chicks from a planet and force them to have sex under threat of teleporting their ass into deep space?

FAX

listopencil 09-23-2011 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 7936218)
What if we do the generation ship deal and say ... oh ... about 3 generations in, the people forget where they were supposed to go and decide to turn around?

What happens then?

FAX

...or what if the trip takes so long that the society contained in the vessel breaks down? Perhaps they come to believe that the ship is the universe and nothing exists outside of it, that astrogation books are simply religious texts meant to provide moral guidance?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2657/...4152060c79.jpg