ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Money Buying a car bought from a neighbor. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267942)

GloryDayz 12-22-2012 10:50 PM

Buying a car bought from a neighbor.

OK, getting ready to buy the neighbor's car for the son. It's nothing like 90210 or anything, it's a 1999 Toyota Camry.. And it's going to need struts and a few other minor fixes, but it's something a kids should learn, so I'm OK with it... If it breaks, he can walk until he gets motivated!

Anyway, in terms of an inspections, registration and all that jazz, what all will I need to do in Missouri to buy the neighbors car?

Thanks in advance....

Dayze 12-22-2012 11:01 PM

MO 'safety inspection"; it's like 12 buks or something. other than that, your normal stuff.

Bugeater 12-22-2012 11:06 PM

Taste the gas and make sure they didn't put sugar in it.

hometeam 12-22-2012 11:21 PM

you need to both have a copy of a missouri bill of sale, you need the title, go get it inspected, get insurance, go register.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 12-22-2012 11:30 PM

I have 2 rules when it comes to buying a car:

1.) Never buy a car from a friend.
2.) Never buy your neighbor's car.

GloryDayz 12-22-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9233570)
you need to both have a copy of a missouri bill of sale, you need the title, go get it inspected, get insurance, go register.

Will a napkin do for a bill of sale?

KurtCobain 12-23-2012 12:10 AM

A Polaroid of it written on your palm should do.

GloryDayz 12-23-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mac Ver 2.0 (Post 9233585)
I have 2 rules when it comes to buying a car:

1.) Never buy a car from a friend.
2.) Never buy your neighbor's car.

Yeah, but for $500 dollars for a car in pretty darn good shape, even if it only lasts a year, that's a LOT less than payments....

Fire Me Boy! 12-23-2012 08:41 AM

Antifreeze.

FlaChief58 12-23-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9233865)
Yeah, but for $500 dollars for a car in pretty darn good shape, even if it only lasts a year, that's a LOT less than payments....

Yep, my first car was a 1972 mazda rx2. I paid $400 for 2 of them (1 to drive 1 for parts). My dad only offered moral support when it came to fixing it whenever something broke. I learned a lot about cars in the 2 years I drove it. That was the best thing dad could have ever done for me.

GloryDayz 12-23-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9233885)
Yep, my first car was a 1972 mazda rx2. I paid $400 for 2 of them (1 to drive 1 for parts). My dad only offered moral support when it came to fixing it whenever something broke. I learned a lot about cars in the 2 years I drove it. That was the best thing dad could have ever done for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flachief58 (Post 9233885)

Yeah, we mulled around the "buying your kid a car" thing for a while. But with this young man's grades, school involvement beyond school hours, and four of his seven classed being "advanced" I'm good with it. I consider myself VERY lucky to have him as my son, he's better than me. I grew up stuffing groceries in bags, and it might have helped in some ways, but this is different. His school's robotics team (where he all but "lives" during the 6-week build season) - runs a business on the side to fund the robot's parts, so he works his ass for aerating lawns many months of the year; so he's not lost on hard work... And he does take odd jobs too (some local bushinesses like to hire these kids for jobs because they know about their school workload and want to keep them able to stay at school that much), so he understands work too - he's just not playing career executive (at a grocery store or burger joint) at sixteen.

And yes, no sooner than we get the car, he gets to turn a wrench on something other than a CAD program or a Robot - he get to replace four struts! The other neighbor is a mechanic, so I hope he get to show my son the joy of an impact wrench! Nice!!

So it's all good...

GloryDayz 12-23-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 9233869)
Antifreeze.

LOL, that was the "green melting ice" that was coming out of the doode's car who "bumped into" the back-end of the truck last Thursday AM... But he assured me it was just melting ice... OK!!!

mlyonsd 12-23-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9233865)

That's the right mentality. I've done this with my kids and if it breaks you're not out much. Good learning tool.

Hoover 12-23-2012 09:53 AM

The one and only rule. You can buy the neighbors car if and only if you will NEVER bitch to him/her about it.

GloryDayz 12-23-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 9233979)
The one and only rule. You can buy the neighbors car if and only if you will NEVER bitch to him/her about it.

LOL, no... He's totally cool, and if if he pisses me off, he won't be the official unbiased and honest tester of my BBQ adventures each weekend...