ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs-must-get-back-to-Midwest-mentality (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=266442)

DTLB58 11-10-2012 01:06 PM

Chiefs-must-get-back-to-Midwest-mentality

http://www.examiner.net/sports/sport...ntality?zc_p=0

Thought this was pretty good.

The best part was the last paragraph, his quote this week. :clap:

BigMeatballDave 11-10-2012 01:38 PM

Sorry, that article is no longer available

Cool story, bro

Mr. Laz 11-10-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

A big-shot attitude shoved down the throats of the Kansas City fans simply won’t fly! They won’t tolerate anyone from the East Coast or anywhere else setting tailgate rules and regulations. They’re tired of eating “potty sandwiches” from the owner and general manager. Midwesterners remember where they came from and expect some basics: great effort, a solid team philosophy and organization leaders who do not blow smoke and who will allow them to enjoy their love of Chiefs football the way they always have.

meh ... who cares, just win.

petegz28 11-10-2012 01:41 PM

For the cut and paste challenged:

Oak Grove, MO —

Kansas City fans, sportswriters and talk-show hosts all seem to have an opinion about the dismal Chiefs season. Blame has been placed on the coaches, quarterback, lack of effort, poor drafts, etc. Endless discussions have gone on for the past two months.

Most likely, all of these reasons hold some truth for the demise of a good, solid NFL franchise. I have kept game stats for all home games for the television stations for the past 26 years. It has given me the opportunity to be present in the press box for media discussions and to watch the power brokers of the team work and react every game day. I’ve seen all of the good and bad years. The NFL is a dog-eat-dog business that demands success.

Beginning two and a half years ago, I began to have a growing concern about the Chiefs organization.

The culture began to change – not just on the field of play, but among the fans in the parking lot and the people working at the stadium, like ticket takers, security, etc. The organization decided to place all of their eggs into a new basket, the New England way. It’s not unusual for any business to copy a successful business model. The problem is that the new regime does not appear to have an understanding of the existing culture.

The Kansas City Chiefs team is a Midwest team with Midwest fans who have a Midwest mentality. It is in the heart of America, which is quite different from the East and West coasts. Midwesterners like people who are good to people, work hard, and bring their “A” game to work every day.

Conversely, Midwesterners are not likely to take kindly to outsiders coming in with all the answers and with criticism of all that has come before with the team. Kansas City-area fans are salt of the Earth people who do not accept arrogance and a holier-than-thou attitude from people who never proved that they had any answers at all.

A big-shot attitude shoved down the throats of the Kansas City fans simply won’t fly! They won’t tolerate anyone from the East Coast or anywhere else setting tailgate rules and regulations. They’re tired of eating “potty sandwiches” from the owner and general manager. Midwesterners remember where they came from and expect some basics: great effort, a solid team philosophy and organization leaders who do not blow smoke and who will allow them to enjoy their love of Chiefs football the way they always have.

Winning has a way of making a lot of things go away but the organization needs to understand the culture and expectations of their Midwestern fan base.

n My quote this week is from the English essayist, William Hazlett, “Where you cannot drive you can always persuade. A gentle word, a kind look, a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles. There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual but you cannot make him respect you.” The Chiefs organization should take heed.

R8RFAN 11-10-2012 01:46 PM

Midwest-mentality? What is this? Sheep ****ers?

KCUnited 11-10-2012 01:54 PM

Pretty sure letting high priced FAs walk, vilifying receivers for flexing, and "fixing the Oline" over a 1st round QB, is the Midwest mentality.

JoeyChuckles 11-10-2012 01:54 PM

http://d2om8tvz4lgco4.cloudfront.net...43ff515cd8.jpg

You forgot to post the writer's picture, which for some reason is almost as big as the article.

BoneKrusher 11-10-2012 02:03 PM

first the Chiefs must hire a GM, Draft or get a Decent QB and then hire a new coaching staff.

damn we're 5-10 years away from even thinking about the Playoffs..

Chiefshrink 11-10-2012 02:07 PM

I liked it and agree wholeheartedly.

Dale Carnegie good.

chiefzilla1501 11-10-2012 02:17 PM

This is absolutely right.

Arrowhead is a huge competitive advantage. Pioli has been such a dick that fans don't connect to the players anymore.

We have some really good players like Bowe, Hali, or Jamaal Charles. How many of them are even close to as well liked as a ****ing guard like Brian Waters? It's sad when a Guard is a lot more popular than elite talent.

kcfanXIII 11-10-2012 02:19 PM

I have to agree with what he is saying, even if he isn't going to win any awards for style. This guy was my football coach when i was in high school btw. best coach i ever had.

Hammock Parties 11-10-2012 02:20 PM

Actually, it's cool if our next GM is a dick.

He just needs to be competent.

ElGringo 11-10-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9103621)
Actually, it's cool if our next GM is a dick.

He just needs to be competent.

I think the author agrees with you when he says "Winning has a way of making a lot of things go away but the organization needs to understand the culture and expectations of their Midwestern fan base." I read this to say, if you win, you can attempt to change the culture to the "Patriot Way", but Pioli isn't winning, so you have to respect the fans, the culture, the way we have always done things and respected, celebrated this team. If Pioli wasn't such a dick, communicated with the fans, I don't think he would be vilified (sp) as much as he is now.

Hammock Parties 11-10-2012 03:04 PM

Agree completely, but that doesn't mean the next guy needs to be a nice guy.

Sometimes it takes an asshole to get the job done.

The key is the asshole has to be good at his job instead of historically inept.

aturnis 11-10-2012 03:07 PM

Agreed. Pioli's money saving style of cutting off charitable related things, screwing firemen, and not letting parking and gate employees watch the game is ridiculous.