ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Funny Stuff Man Calls 9-1-1 Over Sandwich (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=188482)

gblowfish 08-05-2008 08:36 AM

Man Calls 9-1-1 Over Sandwich

Well, in this guy's defense, a Subway meatball sub just isn't as good without the marinara sauce, and 911 personnel should know that from their training...

Fla. man dials 911, complains his sub had no sauce
http://tinyurl.com/64rkzf

Mon Aug 4, 9:06 PM ET

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The sauce for a spicy Italian sandwich was apparently a must have for one Florida man. The man, Reginald Peterson, called 911 twice after a sandwich shop left off the sauce.

Peterson initially called the emergency number Thursday so that officers could have his subs made correctly, according to a police report. The second call was to complain that police officers weren't arriving fast enough.

Subway workers told police that Peterson, 42, became belligerent and yelled when they were fixing his order. They locked him out of the store when he left to call police.

When officers arrived, they tried to calm Peterson and explain the proper use of 911. Those efforts failed, and he was arrested on a charge of making false 911 calls.

Peterson did not have a listed phone number.

Redrum_69 08-05-2008 08:38 AM

heads will roll...

blueballs 08-05-2008 08:56 AM

better him calling 911 over subway "artist"
than the other way around

DaKCMan AP 08-05-2008 08:58 AM

Firehouse has the best meatball sub of the franchised sub shops.

Baby Lee 08-05-2008 09:03 AM

We're not gonna enforce your Western Cheeseburger!!

Fish 08-05-2008 09:09 AM

Those Subway employees should have been tazed..... no marinara on a meatball....

Huffman83 08-05-2008 09:19 AM

I've got one better. A couple of years back someone called 911 and was complaining about the place they got their pizza from didn't slice the pizza.

Unfortunately for the caller, they got ahold of a grizzled veteren/supervisor. Which basically means....you can get away w/ yelling at a caller.

boogblaster 08-05-2008 09:24 AM

He should have called Hootie .. He's got lots of Huard Man-inara Sauce ...

gblowfish 08-05-2008 09:37 AM

http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=29062

kepp 08-05-2008 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redrum_69 (Post 4891981)
heads will roll...

He's Canadian?

gblowfish 08-07-2008 08:50 AM

Sandwich and 9-1-1 call update:

Who do I talk to?'
Excerpts from non-emergency 911 calls

1. Dispatch: "9-1-1- What are you reporting?"
Caller: "Hi I'm trying to find, who can I report a lost telephone to, who do I talk to?"
Dispatch: "A lost telephone?"
Caller: "Yeah I lost my cell phone."

2. Dispatch: "Mobile 9-1-1. What are you reporting?"
Caller: "I'm looking for International Airport."
Dispatch: "Sir, you can't do that. Whatever you're looking for, you're on a 911 line."

3. Caller: "Hi. I don't know if this is a total emergency, but I'm at the laundromat. Our clothes are sitting in dirty water at the laundromat."

4. Dispatch: "Hello?"
Caller: "Hi. I have a child here, and we need some help. She's refusing to go to school. She's — we had to have the police come out and get her yesterday to take her to school. She is being ..."
Dispatch: "Ok ..."

5. Dispatch: "911."
Caller: "Do the police have a program called scared straight?"
Dispatch: "Scared straight? I've never heard of it."
Caller: "It's like when you take the child and show them where juvenile is and scare them so they straighten up."
Dispatch: "How old a child is it?"
Caller: "She's 10."

Sources: KNTV-TV, San Francisco (1-3); WBIR-TV, Knoxville, Tenn. (4-5)

911 systems choking on non-emergency calls
Pranksters, clueless callers block lines for legitimate crises

By Alex Johnson
Reporter
MSNBC
updated 5:30 p.m. CT, Tues., Aug. 5, 2008

Which of these is an emergency?
# A Subway sandwich shop in Florida leaves the mayo and mustard off a customer’s order.
# A Texas man can’t get a cab.
# A Tennessee man’s stepfather keeps nagging him to do the laundry.

To hear callers to 911 emergency lines tell it, all are.

Eddie Mitchell, a 911 dispatcher in Rancho Cordova, Calif., near Sacramento, likes to tell the story of the caller who demanded to know why the Transportation Department hadn’t mowed the grass. Another wanted to know how to use his cell phone.

“We’ve had people call in asking us to bring them milk,” Mitchell said.

Darrell DeBusk, a spokesman for the Knoxville, Tenn., police, can top that. “A few years ago. an individual called 911 wanting an officer to drive through McDonald’s and bring him a hamburger,” DeBusk said.

Those calls may be funny, but in cities large and small, police officials and system administrators warn that 911 systems are being choked with clueless, frivolous, even prank, calls.

In California, for example, as many as 45 percent of the more than 8 million cell phone calls to 911 each year are for non-emergencies, officials said; in Sacramento, it could be as high as 80 percent. Those calls block the lines for callers who really need urgent help.

“You’ve got a true emergency with somebody out there — that there’s a shooting or something — then those officers are not able to respond to that emergency call, because they’re taking care” of callers who abuse 911 lines, said Jennifer Wilson, who has worked in the 911 center in Knox County, Tenn., for 16 years.

‘We’re here for a purpose’
Officials say decades of education programs meant to emblazon the numbers 9, 1 and 1 in every American’s memory may have worked too well. Because police have to respond to almost every call in case it’s a real emergency, people have figured out that a quick call to 911 guarantees action.

Like Reginald Peterson.

Peterson ordered a Spicy Italian Sub at a Subway store in Jacksonville, Fla., last week. He ordered it with “the works.” To his mind, it didn’t come with the works.

“He tasted his sandwich, and it didn’t have mayonnaise or mustard on it, so he became upset,” said Tammy Morris, a manager at the store.

Witnesses inside the store said Peterson started screaming. Then he went outside to call 911, asking for help in having his sandwich made to his satisfaction. A short time later, he called again to complain that police still hadn’t shown up.

So they did, and they arrested Peterson on charges of making false 911 calls.

“It’s unbelievable what people get upset about now days,” Morris said.

Or like Kevin Waits.

Waits called a cab to his home in Waco, Texas. When it didn’t show up, he called 911. The dispatcher told him to call a taxi service.

Waco police Officer Steve Anderson said Waits grew more and more frustrated as he couldn’t get a cab. So he called 911 again. And again. Eventually, he called 15 times.

When police finally went to his apartment, they found a cab waiting for Waits — who didn’t have the $26 fare.

Waits was charged with harassment and theft of service.

Or like the unidentified 19-year-old man who called 911 in Knoxville because his stepfather wouldn’t stop nagging him to do the laundry or wash the dishes.

According to the transcript of the call, the man told the operator: “Why can’t he be a grown man and do it hisself instead of whine about it and pick and pack and fight about it?”

Wilson, the Knoxville dispatcher, said, “I hate to use the term ‘babysitter,’ but we’re here for a purpose, and that is not our purpose.”

27,000 prank calls to 911
It’s especially galling when the caller is someone who obviously should know better. Take Gabe Pacheco, a lieutenant with the fire and rescue squad in Monroe County, Fla.

Pacheco was put on paid administrative leave last month after he called 911 to report a non-existent boating accident. The sheriff’s report said Pacheco wanted to cover up the fact that he was going to be late for a shift change.

But the worst are the prank callers, who set out to tie up police and emergency resources for kicks.

In February, police in Hayward, Calif., arrested a man and charged him with making more than 27,000 phony 911 calls to Hayward police and the California Highway Patrol. He would grunt and make other sounds described only as “bodily noises,” mutter in a disguised voice and repeatedly press beep tones from the touchpad.

The caller, identified as John Triplette, 45, “completely overwhelmed our system,” said Desi Calzada, manager of the Hayward Communications Center. “He delayed the answering of other 911 calls because we were answering his.”

According to police, Triplette said he made the calls “because it’s free.”

Don Aaron, a spokesman for the Nashville Metro police, said it’s called “joyriding.”

“It’s a joy call to 911,” Aaron said. “What they don’t understand is that the call takers at 911 take these calls very seriously. The police department takes them very seriously.”

Some jurisdiction opt for penalties
So seriously that authorities are moving to crack down.

Last month, Ventura, Calif., began charging a per-incident fee for 911 calls. Residents can opt out of the charge by paying a recurring monthly fee, but if the don’t, every non-critical call to 911 will cost them $17.88.

“We get a few kids that play on the phone,” said Patty Chase, communications supervisor for Kern County Dispatch. “We get a few people that ask us strange questions, like when it’s going to stop raining and things that we couldn’t possibly answer.”

Some residents complained that the fee defeated the purpose of 911.

“I can’t believe that,” said Salomon Olvera Jr. “It’s really shocking to me. 911 is supposed to be an emergency phone number.”

Another opponent, James Courrangoiton, acknowledged that “they get a lot of crazy calls.” But, he said, “there’s got to be a better way of controlling that other than penalizing everybody.”

Last month, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a law imposing a $50 fine for a second non-emergency 911 call. Penalties rise to $250 for the fourth call.

“One warning is sufficient,” said Assemblyman John Benoit, R-Palm Desert, who sponsored the bill. “This is not an appropriate use of 911. Don’t do it again.”

© 2008 MSNBC Interactive

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26040857/

Skip Towne 08-07-2008 08:57 AM

Fittingly they put that dumbass in jail.

Demonpenz 08-07-2008 09:12 AM

the wierd thing is this is a person that ate a sandwhich and 911 and I was eating spicey manwhich that was called manwhich 911

El Jefe 08-07-2008 09:34 AM

I was listening to a local morning radio show, and they actually played the audio from this story and it's absolutely hilarious.

Baby Lee 08-07-2008 09:43 AM

I think I've only called 911 twice. Both driving to work. Once there was a guy driving in front of me and something was dripping from his undercarriage, AND WHATEVER WAS DRIPPING WAS ON FIRE. Called 911 while I tried to catch up and motion him over.

The other, driving along when a girl about 300 yards ahead of me in the fast lane took a sudden right, flipped her car when she hit the shoulder sideways and ended up upside down in the field/marsh alongside the highway.