ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   OK, who should play Ohio State? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175770)

BigMeatballDave 12-02-2007 06:53 AM

OK, who should play Ohio State?

Who is OSU playing for the National Title?

Poll is on the way...

BigMeatballDave 12-02-2007 07:00 AM

I selected VT. They are currently ranked the highest, and won the ACC.
A case could be made for all these schools.

pikesome 12-02-2007 08:05 AM

No love for Hawaii? If schedule strength is an issue wouldn't that hurt Ohio's claim too?

chagrin 12-02-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikesome
No love for Hawaii? If schedule strength is an issue wouldn't that hurt Ohio's claim too?

EDIT
Not really, USC, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma has a case though; they really do.

I think LSU should be automatic; their schedule is ranked by everyone in the top 5

boogblaster 12-02-2007 08:48 AM

Oklahoma or LSU

alanm 12-02-2007 09:02 AM

I vote Hawaii since their unbeaten. They've got as much a claim to play in the game as anyone.

cdcox 12-02-2007 09:04 AM

A case could be made for any of those schools except KU.

OU >> MU > KU
KU has not a single impressive victory, nor did they win their division, let alone their conference. Every other team on that list either won their conference or in the case of GA has several impressive victories.

ChiTown 12-02-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox
A case could be made for any of those schools except KU.

OU >> MU > KU
KU has not a single impressive victory, nor did they win their division, let alone their conference. Every other team on that list either won their conference or in the case of GA has several impressive victories.

The OU>MU>KU argument is weak. It never has worked that way in College Football when determining who goes where in Bowl Games. KU has a legit argument to be in a BCS game, and so does MU.

Now, the one reason I would not allow KU in the MNC Game is because they were not the Conf. Champion, nor were they even in the Conf. Championship game. I think, at a minimum, you should at least have to when your division as part of the criteria to be in a MNC Game (See NU in 2001 as to why that is a fraudulent concept). jmho

pikesome 12-02-2007 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chagrin
EDIT
Not really, USC, Georgia, LSU and Oklahoma has a case though; they really do.

I think LSU should be automatic; their schedule is ranked by everyone in the top 5

I should have typed "shouldn't" instead of "wouldn't". I don't care that everyone seems to think Ohio is so great for some reason, the same complaints Hawaii has against it (and KU, certain extent) sure seem to apply to Ohio.

Frazod 12-02-2007 10:27 AM

As much as I hate to say it, I'd vote for Oklahoma. As Stoops pointed out repeatedly yesterday, they beat the No. 1 team. Twice. They had one fluke loss (Colorado) and one where they lost the heart of their offense and temporarily crumpled (Texas Tech). I think they'd beat anybody else on that list.

BigVE 12-02-2007 10:31 AM

LSU or OU

KevB 12-02-2007 10:33 AM

I say LSU and it's not all that close. Toughest schedule, won the best conference in the country, only two losses were both in triple OT (to teams that were ranked at one point this season), etc. Not to mention LSU blew out Virginia Tech, so I'd automatically put them ahead of the Hokies. USC lost to a dreadful Stanford team, OU lost to a relatively bad CU team, and Georgia didn't even play in it's conference championship game.

HC_Chief 12-02-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown
The OU>MU>KU argument is weak. It never has worked that way in College Football when determining who goes where in Bowl Games. KU has a legit argument to be in a BCS game, and so does MU.

Now, the one reason I would not allow KU in the MNC Game is because they were not the Conf. Champion, nor were they even in the Conf. Championship game. I think, at a minimum, you should at least have to when your division as part of the criteria to be in a MNC Game (See NU in 2001 as to why that is a fraudulent concept). jmho

Good post. I think you're correct (unfortunately, as I'm a KU fan); I also think this is how the voters will see it. The NCG will be tOSU* -v- LSU

Coach 12-02-2007 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod
As much as I hate to say it, I'd vote for Oklahoma. As Stoops pointed out repeatedly yesterday, they beat the No. 1 team. Twice. They had one fluke loss (Colorado) and one where they lost the heart of their offense and temporarily crumpled (Texas Tech). I think they'd beat anybody else on that list.

Very good points, but OU did lose to Colorado and a late season loss to Texas Tech as well. OU losing to Colorado is like USC losing to Stanford.

I feel that a 2 loss team shouldn't be in the NC picture anyways.

Bugeater 12-02-2007 10:46 AM

LSU, although that could complicate Nebraska hiring their new coach. Not that anyone here really cares about that though.