ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Router issue-At&t uverse internet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274969)

Sure-Oz 07-31-2013 06:41 PM

Router issue-At&t uverse internet

Just got Uverse internet installed friday. It got installed downstairs right behind a 60" big screen tv with the wires and everything on the wall. it's a wife router/modem in one. Our last internet 'dsl' router/modem was in the middle of the house and upstairs but now this is directly behind the tv. Can this cause issue with signals?

Signal strength is full in most the house but sometimes clicking a site it just sits on 'waiting for website to reply' and then loads after maybe a minute. Other times its instant. I can literally be on another tab and load a site fast and the other one is still waiting to load the next page. Im trying easy going pages like yahoo or gmail and still the same. I checked internet speeds and it's download rate avgs about 8mbs a sec usually which is higher than the dsl we had before that worked fine which was around 3mb.

Not sure why the 'lag' when clicking sites at times.

Ideas? I am thinking of calling a tech to get this figured out

Ming the Merciless 07-31-2013 06:52 PM

I don't think that placement is the issue.

I'm sure you have tried powering off the modem and power down the routers/hubs

then wait a minute , then re power up everything

Sure-Oz 07-31-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9848903)
I don't think that placement is the issue.

I'm sure you have tried powering off the modem and power down the routers/hubs

then wait a minute , then re power up everything

I have unplugged the modem and rebooted it a few times since last friday. Never improves but the signal never waivers on wifi. It downloads fast and everything, just a delay randomly, maybe an install or line issue? unsure since its not a cable modem and it's uverse internet.

morphius 07-31-2013 07:01 PM

you can log into the router and see if you are getting any packet errors.

WoodDraw 07-31-2013 08:36 PM

There's also an app called "Wifi Analyzer" available in the Google Play store if you have an android something. You can use that to check for signal strength and interference.

Baby Lee 07-31-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9848868)
it's a wife router/modem in one.

'fix me a sammich' wife, or 'bounk chica bounck bowww' wife?

Sure-Oz 07-31-2013 08:45 PM

-56 dbm whatever that means.

Saw no packets lost at all or errors when logging into the router.

I'm clueless

Ming the Merciless 07-31-2013 09:27 PM

disable all security and broadcast your ssid with no security for a while like a couple hours

see if it is a security issue

listopencil 07-31-2013 10:45 PM

Do you have multiple browsers installed? FireFox does this to me every once in a while and I'll switch to a backup until the update is released. Could be that your browser is getting wonky, coincidentally right after the Uverse install.

The Franchise 08-01-2013 11:00 AM

FWIW.....I have AT&T Uverse internet and I had to go out and buy a separate router because their router/modem's signal strength ****ing sucked dick.

Sure-Oz 08-01-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9849689)
disable all security and broadcast your ssid with no security for a while like a couple hours

see if it is a security issue

Lol

Sure-Oz 08-01-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 9849868)
Do you have multiple browsers installed? FireFox does this to me every once in a while and I'll switch to a backup until the update is released. Could be that your browser is getting wonky, coincidentally right after the Uverse install.

I do....I'll see if that's it . I use Firefox primarily

Sure-Oz 08-01-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9850597)
FWIW.....I have AT&T Uverse internet and I had to go out and buy a separate router because their router/modem's signal strength ****ing sucked dick.

Weird thing is the signal is full strength

listopencil 08-01-2013 02:28 PM

Oh, hey, do you use the Motorola NVG510?

Ming the Merciless 08-01-2013 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 9851314)
Lol

I had a problem once where the WEP was messing with my computer for some reason causing intermittent disconnections...

I just ran it with no security for a bit (like a couple hours) and I had no disconnections so I think the problem was with the security WEP or whatnot

On that network, I turned off the normal security and just used MAC address filters for security (instead of keys) and I never had another problem ever.