ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Handheld camcorder advice? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270003)

|Zach| 02-13-2013 11:01 PM

Handheld camcorder advice?

Hey folks looking for something to do video with easily at a reasonable price.

Obviously you want good quality but that really isn't the most important thing. I need something I can carry around and can flip on to use really easily at a game or something of that nature. Form factor for holding it in my hand has to be decent. I used to use the video function Canon Powershot and that did a decent job.

I guess I am just looking for something in the era of the Flip video camera being dead.

Any thoughts?

hometeam 02-13-2013 11:10 PM

Phone.

|Zach| 02-13-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9401726)
Phone.

Nope.

nstygma 02-14-2013 12:36 AM

what kind of zoom requirements do you have?

Buns 02-14-2013 12:56 AM

What's the price range you're thinking?

Dayze 02-14-2013 06:03 AM

What kind of resolution do you need when shooting the anal scenes?

|Zach| 02-14-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9401800)
what kind of zoom requirements do you have?

None.

patteeu 02-14-2013 12:37 PM

Why is the Flip video camera dead and why is a phone insufficient for your "no requirements" needs?

|Zach| 02-14-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9402785)
Why is the Flip video camera dead and why is a phone insufficient for your "no requirements" needs?

They do not sell it anymore. The sound is not great on phones nor is the form factor.

patteeu 02-14-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9402799)
They do not sell it anymore. The sound is not great on phones nor is the form factor.

OK, fair enough. I just wondered because, coincidentally, I got my old Flip camera out today to charge for a trip I'm taking. And the newest iPhones/iPads take really good videos. I didn't think about the sound quality though.

|Zach| 02-14-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9402816)
OK, fair enough. I just wondered because, coincidentally, I got my old Flip camera out today to charge for a trip I'm taking. And the newest iPhones/iPads take really good videos. I didn't think about the sound quality though.

Agree about the quality of those...my personal phone is great for me but lacks that quality and I would feel silly getting another phone when I can get something else that does a decent dedicated job.

htismaqe 02-14-2013 12:57 PM

I've used several purpose-built video recorders and they pretty much all suck.

Some of them use proprietary software or modified formats so that getting them onto a computer and editing them is a pain in the ass.

If you find one that is good at that, the image quality is poor.

It's just a big crap shoot, honestly.

My daughter's Flip camera is awesome but as you said, can't really buy them anymore.

|Zach| 02-14-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402845)

Some of them use proprietary software or modified formats so that getting them onto a computer and editing them is a pain in the ass.

My daughter's Flip camera is awesome but as you said, can't really buy them anymore.

They were really great...durable...could grab it and get recording easily...could drag and drop the files...ran on batteries that lasted forever. sigh

Maybe I can find one on ebay.

|Zach| 02-14-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9402845)

What I probably end up doing is getting a point and shoot to carry around (because I am always taking photos anyway might as well) an use the video function. That is what I used for video for a while and was happy with the results.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kPwUDIR0iaA?list=UUF9T4i1u5gqVATdmtbmb2cQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

htismaqe 02-14-2013 01:08 PM

Dude, that's PLENTY good enough.