ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Mount Rushmore (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265750)

bandwagonjumper 10-26-2012 04:13 PM

Mount Rushmore

Anyone here been to Mount Rushmore? I saw a documentary yesterday about Mount Rushmore and I didn't realize it started 1927 and finished 1941. When it started people ridiculed it and of course it was built through the depression. Now its probably the most iconic place in america. Definetly want to see it.

The Franchise 10-26-2012 04:14 PM

See it once and you'll never need to see it again.

Deberg_1990 10-26-2012 04:15 PM

Did they ever finish the Crazy Horse monument?

Buehler445 10-26-2012 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9052305)

They got a hole.

The Franchise 10-26-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Last time I had heard........no.

The Franchise 10-26-2012 04:20 PM

Crazy Horse is a huge waste of money. FFS.....the ancestors didn't even want it.

Quote:

Crazy Horse resisted being photographed and was deliberately buried where his grave would not be found. Ziolkowski envisioned the monument as a metaphoric tribute to the spirit of Crazy Horse and Native Americans. He reportedly said, "My lands are where my dead lie buried." His extended hand on the monument is to symbolize that statement.[3]

Elaine Quiver, a descendant of Crazy Horse, said in 2003 that the elder Standing Bear should not have independently petitioned Ziolkowski to create the memorial. She believes that Lakota culture is based on getting a consensus from family members for such a decision, and no one asked the opinions of the descendants of Crazy Horse before the first rock was dynamited in 1948.[9] She said,

"They don't respect our culture because we didn't give permission for someone to carve the sacred Black Hills where our burial grounds are. They were there for us to enjoy and they were there for us to pray. But it wasn't meant to be carved into images, which is very wrong for all of us. The more I think about it, the more it's a desecration of our Indian culture. Not just Crazy Horse, but all of us."[9]

Seth Big Crow, whose great-grandmother was an aunt of Crazy Horse (the Lakota are a matrilineal culture), said he wondered about the millions of dollars which the Ziolkowski family had collected from the visitor center and shops associated with the memorial, and "the amount of money being generated by his ancestor's name." He said,

"Or did it give them free hand to try to take over the name and make money off it as long as they're alive and we're alive? When you start making money rather than to try to complete the project, that's when, to me, it's going off in the wrong direction."[9]

Other traditional Lakota oppose the memorial. In his 1972 autobiography, Lame Deer, a Lakota medicine man, said: "The whole idea of making a beautiful wild mountain into a statue of him is a pollution of the landscape. It is against the spirit of Crazy Horse."[10] In a 2001 interview, the Lakota activist Russell Means said: "Imagine going to the holy land in Israel, whether you're a Christian or a Jew or a Muslim, and start carving up the mountain of Zion. It's an insult to our entire being."[11]

Having the finished sculpture depict Crazy Horse pointing with his index finger has also been criticized. Native American cultures prohibit using the index finger to point at people or objects, as the people find it rude and taboo. Some spokesmen compare the effect to a sculpture of George Washington with an upraised middle finger.[

Rain Man 10-26-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9052300)

That's pretty much true. With my modern sensibilities, I saw it more as an abomination than a monument, and I wasn't expecting that.

Rain Man 10-26-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9052312)
They got a hole.

That thing's not going to be done before a comet wipes us out.

Deberg_1990 10-26-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9052315)
Last time I had heard........no.

Holy Cow.....i guess not.

The monument has been in progress since 1948 and is far from completion.[1] Completion is expected in 2120

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Horse_Memorial

mikeyis4dcats. 10-26-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32789924@N03/6801365322

stonedstooge 10-26-2012 04:23 PM

I went to Crazy Horse mountain almost 20 years ago and it doesn't look to have changed much since then. I think there are 4 dudes up there who play cards most of the day except when they go out and throw a rock or two over the edge about once every 2 or 3 hours

Lzen 10-26-2012 04:31 PM

Took a family trip up to Mr. Rushmore in 2000. Had a great time and really enjoyed all the attractions up there.

DJ's left nut 10-26-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 9052300)

Yup. It's cool, but really a little underwhelming.

Quote:

Nowhere even close. Crazy horse has most of a face now. Otherwise they're still just digging the mountain out from the bottom up so they can get started on the horse in another 60 years. That thing will not be done in any of our lifetimes.

DJ's left nut 10-26-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9052365)
Took a family trip up to Mr. Rushmore in 2000. Had a great time and really enjoyed all the attractions up there.

Devils tower was the coolest part of the area, IMO.

I enjoyed riding through the countryside much more than any particular attraction. There are some beautiful scenic highways that make for a great ride/drive.

Bugeater 10-26-2012 05:00 PM

The Crazy Horse monument is a ****ing joke. We were up there in 04 and I remember reading something about an admission fee to see what little bit has been done, but they let you take a rock from there home with you! Oh boy! Needless to say, we didn't even bother going.