ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Archives (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Well grbac's season just got harder (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=18158)

donkhater 08-08-2001 10:06 PM

Well grbac's season just got harder

Jamal Lewis is out for the season with a torn ACL in practice. So 'ol Elvis has even less of a running game and less talented recievers than he left behind in KC? Heh-heh.:)

keg in kc 08-08-2001 10:09 PM

They've still got the second best defense in the game (I say Tennessee was better last year). Don't discount that.

And careful with the laughter and "haha elvis is screwed" stuff, because karma has a strange way of paying folks back for that sort of mean-spirited levity. SlyMo's injury is more than enough for us to have to deal with this season, let's not jinx ourselves.

Once again, I'm not superstitious...

...except when talking football.

Fat Elvis 08-08-2001 10:14 PM

I don't think that the Ravens D will be as good this year. First of all, look at thier schedule last year (well this year too) Browns x2, Bungals x2--you get the point. Anyway, I think a major reason why their D did so well was the simple fact that Jamal kept the offense on the field a loooong time. The Ravens didn't score a lot of points, but they ate up a lot of clock. You take away thier running game and the D is on the field a lot longer thant they were last year. They are gonna wear down and they are gonna get scored on.

donkhater 08-08-2001 10:20 PM

I was merely chuckling over the perceived ease at which Elvis could go throughout the season.

"Gee this team is so good, all I gotta do is handoff to Jamal and let the defense take care of itself. There is no pressure whatsoever on me because I was a backup for Steve Young when I won my Super Bowl ring"

Not any more.

Cannibal 08-08-2001 10:20 PM

Tennessee D was better last year?!?!?!

The Raven set all kind of NFL defensive records last year, and MANY people considered last years Raven D the best ever.

I guess everybody has their own opinion though

:rolleyes:

htismaqe 08-08-2001 10:21 PM

I agree with Keg...forget about Grbac and stop talking about it...

We definitely don't need to get jinxed into having injuries like this happen to us.

I'm definitely superstitious when it comes to football. :D

htismaqe 08-08-2001 10:24 PM

The Titans finished ahead of the Ravens in several defensive categories last year. I wouldn't consider them better, though. The Ravens had the intangibles...

keg in kc 08-08-2001 10:46 PM

2000 defensive statistics:

Total yards against
Tennessee: 4151
Baltimore: 4145

Total rushing yards against:
Tennessee: 1390
Baltimore: 970

Total passing yards against
Tennessee: 2761
Baltimore: 3175

Opponent's 3rd/4th down percentage
Tennessee: 29.6%
Baltimore: 33.0%

Sacks
Tennessee: 55
Baltimore: 35

Defensive TDs
Tennessee: 5
Baltmore: 1

TDs against
Tennessee: 17 (7 rush, 10 pass)
Baltimore: 16 (5 rush, 11 pass)

FGs against
Tennessee: 17
Baltimore: 14

Just because the media hyped one D and not the other doesn't mean they weren't both good... :rolleyes:

Phobia 08-08-2001 10:50 PM

The most important stat of all:

Gannon CRUSHED
Tennessee - 0
Baltimore - 1

Chiefs Pantalones 08-08-2001 10:52 PM

Kyle,

At the end of your post, you should have, "and a Super Bowl victory for Ravens...priceless."

:D

keg in kc 08-08-2001 11:01 PM

That Gannon thing does give them some points in my book.

I'm not saying Titans were far-and-away the better defense or anything like that, I just think they had the tougher schedule of the two teams but performed on par with Baltimore, had 20 more sacks and 4 more defensive TDs, while giving up a grand total of 1 more TD and 3 more fgs. But nobody talked about that defense all season long, it was all "Ravens this, and Ravens that..."

Yes Baltimore beat them head-to-head in the playoffs, but Tennessee only gave up 166 yards (49 rushing) to the Ravens while Baltimore gave up 322 yards to Tenny (126 of those on the ground). But it's the same story as always, the Titans need a d@mn quarterback (McNair sucks!)...

I think this year, if the Titans still have 2 good corners, they'll have the best defense, bar none. Adding Kevin Carter makes them scary-good IMHO.

But McNair's gotta go, or that team isn't a legitimate SB contender in my mind (although I guess if Doug Williams can win a Super Bowl, anyone can...)

Frazod 08-08-2001 11:07 PM

Kyle mentioned karma in his first post - that it was bad karma for us to enjoy this, as it might come back to haunt us.

It could be however, that this is karma taking a big bite out of Girlbac's a$$ for being a rotten, traitorous pr!ck. This sounds like bad luck for Baltimore, not us.

My condolances to Lewis - I have nothing against him. But anything that negatively impacts Smelvis works for me. I can feel that trapped, glazed, deer-in-the-headlights look forming on his face already. Thank God it won't be forming in Arrowhead.

But if the Ravens' season goes to hell, at least he'll have his first excuse ready. I'm sure others will come in time, and none of the blame, of course, will be on him.

keg in kc 08-08-2001 11:10 PM

I agree 'zod, that this could be karma taking a chunk out of Grbac's tail, but at the same time, we don't want the same happening to us do we?

Chiefs Pantalones 08-08-2001 11:11 PM

I think you guys are a little paranoid.

:D

Chiefs Pantalones 08-08-2001 11:14 PM

Don't worry, Kyle.

Everything happens for a reason. You have to look at what happened to you (whether it be good or bad) and say, 'this happened for the good, not the bad. Don't take it as, the victim role, so to speak.

CG

superstitious=chinese bull ****

and you get what you deserve