ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Quarterback Tournament: Round 3, The Semi-Finals (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=264820)

Rain Man 10-08-2012 12:34 PM

Quarterback Tournament: Round 3, The Semi-Finals

We have 14 quarterbacks left, as well as one kicker and shameful traitor to the sport that we all love. Vote with your conscience.

Rain Man 10-08-2012 12:45 PM

Game 1: Fouts put up some good stats, and he played for the team that drafted him. Those add up to a win.

Game 2: Pretty easy win for Manning here. I like Bradshaw, but don't think he was the best QB of his era, let alone all time. Manning can make a case.

Game 3: Aikman gets an easy matchup. Gannon shouldn't be in this discussion.

Game 4: Dawson gets an easy matchup. Blanda doesn't belong in this discussion.

Game 5: A cruel twist of fate puts the Green Bay legends against each other. Bart Starr won't ever lose a game for you, and Brett Fah-vuh-ruh will. However, when you come down to it, the Lombardi Packers were a running team, and Favre could hand off as well as Starr. I have to pick Favre despite my admiration for the Lombardi teams.

Game 6: Another cruel twist of fate. At their peaks, I actually think that Young may have been the better and more unbeatable quarterback. However, I'm never ever betting against Joe Montana, so I'll pick Montana.

Game 7: Easy matchup for Warner here. Esiason shouldn't be in this discussion.

Game 8: Oh, wow. This one is brutal. The best passer of all time versus Mr. Clutch. Who do you pick in a one-game matchup? It's impossible to pick a loser here. With the "at their peak" qualifications, I'll go with Marino, but by the faintest of margins.

Molitoth 10-08-2012 12:55 PM

I admit, I went with Steve Young over Montana.

I think in today's NFL, the ability to scramble and run at the QB position is pretty important.

patteeu 10-08-2012 01:04 PM

Game 1: I'm hEsitant to Let you guys knoW whAt mY vote was.

Game 2: Manning should have lost in the last round, but he's the clear choice here.

Game 3: I really liked Rich Gannon, but Aikman is the stronger choice.

Game 4: I don't imagine that I'll be voting for Len Dawson much longer, but he's an easy pick over Blanda.

Game 5: I voted for Bart Starr because he never sent anyone a picture of his penis.

Game 6: I would take Steve Young and his mobility over Joe Montana's cool factor any day. Both are top notch though and as far as I know, neither of them have ever sent anyone a penis photo.

Game 7: How did Boomer Esiason make it into this contest? I voted for Kurt Warner. They ought to make a movie out of that guy's life..

Game 8: Two studs, but only one champion. I voted for Brady.

DJ's left nut 10-08-2012 01:08 PM

Aw man, Steve Young got kicked in the dick on this one.

Steve Young is criminally underrated, but I don't see how you can say he was better than Montana.

mikey23545 10-08-2012 01:39 PM

1) Fouts is easily the best quarterback of these two. Elway knows how to cheat, eat sugar cubes, and hand off to Terrell Davis better, and that's about it.

2)Bradshaw won Super Bowls, the pencil-necked geek knows how to fold in the clutch. No contest.

3) Good grief.

4) Blanda had his moments, but was an interception machine. He was probably a better kicker than Dawson, that's about it.

5) Starr won more championships and playoff games than Favre was able to choke away. And even if they had cell phones back then, I doubt he would have sent a pic of his withered old dick to anyone.

6) I hate you for this one. Young was 10 times the athlete, but Joe was JOE. Joe by an eyelash.

7) C'mon.

8) I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but Marino all the way.

I lived in Florida his entire career, and because of a game played on Christmas Day 1971, I have hated the Miami Dolphins for my entire adult life. Marino made me absolutely hate the NFL for 16 years. He was the greatest comeback maestro I have ever seen. Brady wishes he had been Dan Marino. He had FIFTY-****ING-ONE game winning, fourth quarter drives in his career.

Yes, that was FIFTY-****ING-ONE. You had to bury him and the Miami Dolphins underground, pour 500 yards of concrete on top, then drop a daisy cutter on the area, and maybe, maybe Marino wouldn't be able to claw his way up to the surface and beat you.

He had the quickest release, strongest arm, and most accurate ball I have ever seen a human being possess. And this is coming from a man who absolutely despised him and the team he played on.

Championships count for a lot, but as far as pure quarterbacking skills, Brady looks like Matt Cassel next to Marino.

DJ's left nut 10-08-2012 01:54 PM

Agree with the Marino thing.

He didn't win a title and his records have since been broken, but I think we've forgotten just how little ol' Dan had to work with in Miami and just how incredibly good he was.

For 15 years, Dan Marino was to the Dolphins what Manning was to the Colts. He made that team 5-6 games better every single season than it had any right to be. The release was picture perfect, the arm was still the strongest I've ever seen and his accuracy was without peer at the time.

Marino is going to end up alongside guys like Esiason when history is written, but that's nuts. Dan Marino is easily one of the top 5 of all time and frankly he's in the fight for anywhere from #1 - #5.

Pitt Gorilla 10-08-2012 02:04 PM

I'm the guy that went with Young over Montana. When Young was in his prime, the SF offense was a ridiculous machine.

DJ's left nut 10-08-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8992509)
I'm the guy that went with Young over Montana. When Young was in his prime, the SF offense was a ridiculous machine.

I tried, I really did.

But I don't know how you can look past Montana's performances in the playoffs. He was just an absolute monster when the pressure was on.

Young was probably a better regular season quarterback, but Montana was easily the best post-season QB in NFL history. In a close call, I had to go with Joe.

whoman69 10-08-2012 02:33 PM

How the hell is George Blanda still on this list?

Rain Man 10-08-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 8992600)
How the hell is George Blanda still on this list?

Don't ask me. I think I've voted against him every time. I blame the AFL for negotiating that AFL statistics would be included in the NFL record book (which, incidentally, was a really cool move on their part).

hometeam 10-08-2012 03:20 PM

**** Elway. I wouldnt vote for him if you put him up against Cassel.

A Salt Weapon 10-08-2012 03:26 PM

Shouldn't this be considered the quarterfinals instead of the semifinals?

DJ's left nut 10-08-2012 04:05 PM

Wait...the ****!?!?

Brett Favre is thrashing Bart Starr?

You people deserve Matt Cassel. {/hiss}

mikey23545 10-08-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 8992909)
Wait...the ****!?!?

Brett Favre is thrashing Bart Starr?

You people deserve Matt Cassel. {/hiss}

I guess a lot of them are impressed by his photogenic qualities...