ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   THE FACTS about Kansas Jayhawks and Their Road to the Championship (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182751)

ChiefsFanatic 04-09-2008 11:18 PM

THE FACTS about Kansas Jayhawks and Their Road to the Championship

I have heard people talk about how easy our road to the Final Four and the Championship was. How UCLA, North Carolina and Memphis had to play better teams. I know these people are haters, and we are the National Champions, but I looked into the truth about our path to greatness, and this is what I discovered.

The teams we beat had an overall record of 175 - 43. I think that is about an %80 winning percenatge. Using espn.com for reference, here are some more facts.

Portland State (23-10)- Big Sky Conference Champions

UNLV (27-8)- Mountain West Tournament Champions

Villanova (22-13)- Finished season ranked #24 in the country (and were a 12 seed)

Davidson (29-7)- The Southern Conference Champs(undefeated in conference) - Finished the season ranked #9 (and were a 10 seed) They beat the West Coast Conference Champs (Gonzaga)in the NCAA Tournament, they beat the Big East Conference Champs (Georgetown)in the NCAA Tournament, and they beat the Big 10 Conference Champs (Wisconsin)in the NCAA Tournament

North Carolina (36-3)- The ACC Conference Champions - Finished the season ranked #3

Memphis (38-2)- Conference USA Champions (undefeated in conference)- Set record for most wins in a season - Finished the season ranked #2.

Out of 6 games, we beat 4 Top 25 teams (3 in the Top Ten) and the other two were a combined 50-18 and were either regular season Conference Champs (Portland State) or post-season Conference Tournament Champs (UNLV.) The only team we played that was not a Conference Champ was Villanova, and they finished the season ranked #24 http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?poll=2

That is definately not an easy road, and actually looks quite impressive when laid out.

So, in conclusion, ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK:KU:

SPchief 04-09-2008 11:24 PM

Sweet, another Jayhawk thread.

ChiefsFanatic 04-09-2008 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 4676740)
Sweet, another Jayhawk thread.

Perhaps you did not notice the name of the forum on which you read this post. :D

ArrowheadHawk 04-09-2008 11:31 PM

Have we played somebody yet?

ChiefsFanatic 04-09-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 4676750)

Did you like the post?

Phobia 04-09-2008 11:37 PM

I'm convinced. The Hawks impressed me but they're very fortunate hyphenated guy choked his free-throws away. That dude is gonna be haunted the rest of his life. No disrespect - the Hawks took advantage of the opportunities but there was a lot of luck involved - as there generally is with any championship.

Congrats again, Hawk fans.

Boon 04-09-2008 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 4676750)

Ask frazod.

ArrowheadHawk 04-09-2008 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4676753)
Did you like the post?

I approve this message.

Phobia 04-09-2008 11:46 PM

FWIW, I'm a big Hawk fan but the Hawk-eyes weren't in the dance this year. If I ever have any hope of a National Championship I'm gonna have to develop a keen interest in grappling. I don't see that happening though.

ArrowheadHawk 04-09-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4676769)
FWIW, I'm a big Hawk fan but the Hawk-eyes weren't in the dance this year. If I ever have any hope of a National Championship I'm gonna have to develop a keen interest in grappling. I don't see that happening though.

It is kinda hard to get behind that. How many Division 1 schools actually participate in that sport. I know that only like 4 in the big 12 do.

Frazod 04-09-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88-31-10 (Post 4676763)
Ask frazod.

Your basketball team rocks. They won fair and square. You can't hide in a tournament. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

They didn't take a weekend off while their betters were playing an extra game, then get a bowl game they never earned and didn't deserve handed to them on a silver platter.

You'd think even Kansans could tell the difference.

But maybe not.

ArrowheadHawk 04-09-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 4676772)
Your basketball team rocks. They won fair and square. You can't hide in a tournament. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

They didn't take a weekend off while their betters were playing an extra game, then get a bowl game they never earned and didn't deserve handed to them on a silver platter.

You'd think even Kansans could tell the difference.

But maybe not.

You may be right but we are only one of two schools that have won a BCS Bowl and a NCAA basketball championship in the same year.

ChiefsFanatic 04-10-2008 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4676760)
I'm convinced. The Hawks impressed me but they're very fortunate hyphenated guy choked his free-throws away. That dude is gonna be haunted the rest of his life. No disrespect - the Hawks took advantage of the opportunities but there was a lot of luck involved - as there generally is with any championship.

Congrats again, Hawk fans.

He did not choke. He performed like he had all year. As a team they performed like they had all year. The Jayhawks were not that great of a free throw shooting team, but in the only game that mattered, they were 14-15 from the line.

Over the last 1:15 Memphis went 1-5. Did each of those misses add points to our score? NO. We went and ripped the trophy out of their hands, they did not just hand it to us.

DaKCMan AP 04-10-2008 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadHawk (Post 4676773)
You may be right but we are only one of two schools that have won a BCS Bowl and a NCAA basketball championship in the same year.

Yeah, but the other school's BCS bowl win was the National Championship ;)

Fairplay 04-10-2008 05:55 AM

I'm still elated over the win.:clap: