ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Pipedream thought: Trade down possibility? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282231)

RealSNR 03-13-2014 11:53 AM

Pipedream thought: Trade down possibility?

I know the majority of teams usually have their interests best served by trading down as long as the deal is right. Certainly that's the case for the Chiefs, where we simply need more draft picks more than we need a higher draft slot.

The 49ers have a billion draft picks. It's also becoming apparent in mock drafts that they are potentially interested in selecting one of the top WRs in this excellent class for the position. If they wait, a fairly decent one may fall to them. So what if there's a rush on the position? Or if some of the teams decide to let top guys like Mike Evans fall because they know they can just draft somebody of pretty good quality in later rounds? It would behoove the 49ers to trade up so they can get the guy that they want.

Let's say they trade up from 30 to our spot at 23.

In return, we get our 2nd round pick back that we farted away in the Alex trade. And then we'll throw them a 6th rounder or something. Maybe we'll need to give more back like a 2015 midrounder.

Am I smoking crack? As difficult as it is to predict trade ups and trade downs, I won't ask for the chances of this happening. But... is it plausible? Can I at least dream about it?

OldSchool 03-13-2014 11:57 AM

They'd be more likely to jump us than trade with us.

Mugsy 03-13-2014 12:12 PM

They do have a ton of picks SNR and it seems like they don't have a lot of money either. They are a good canidate to move up imo. However, If I had 4-5 picks in the first three round of this draft, I would be sure to make every one of them. Classes with this much talent don't come around often. It's going to be very interesting to see how the trading goes this year.

Direckshun 03-13-2014 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSchool (Post 10487440)
They'd be more likely to jump us than trade with us.

Yeah, because San Francisco hates dealing with Dorsey/Reid.

htismaqe 03-13-2014 12:32 PM

If Mike Evans falls, we better bloody well draft him.

Direckshun 03-13-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10487634)
If Mike Evans falls, we better bloody well draft him.

The Lions aren't going to draft him, anymore. I've had him mocked to them every time.

Halfcan 03-13-2014 12:48 PM

I have never seen a board stress so much about a 2nd round pick-EVER! lol

OldSchool 03-13-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 10487624)
Yeah, because San Francisco hates dealing with Dorsey/Reid.

It's not that. I remember reading something about SF considering trading up into the teens to grab someone depending on how the draft falls.

Plus, consider the fact that we both need WRs; teams move ahead of other teams who have similar needs, they don't wait to trade with them in hopes that that team will pass on taking the player.

The Franchise 03-13-2014 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10487701)
I have never seen a board stress so much about a 2nd round pick-EVER! lol

Are you not aware that this is the deepest draft class in years and having as many top picks as possible is a good thing?

htismaqe 03-13-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10488012)
Are you not aware that this is the deepest draft class in years and having as many top picks as possible is a good thing?

Chiefs rule!!!

Saccopoo 03-13-2014 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10487427)
I know the majority of teams usually have their interests best served by trading down as long as the deal is right. Certainly that's the case for the Chiefs, where we simply need more draft picks more than we need a higher draft slot.

The 49ers have a billion draft picks. It's also becoming apparent in mock drafts that they are potentially interested in selecting one of the top WRs in this excellent class for the position. If they wait, a fairly decent one may fall to them. So what if there's a rush on the position? Or if some of the teams decide to let top guys like Mike Evans fall because they know they can just draft somebody of pretty good quality in later rounds? It would behoove the 49ers to trade up so they can get the guy that they want.

Let's say they trade up from 30 to our spot at 23.

In return, we get our 2nd round pick back that we farted away in the Alex trade. And then we'll throw them a 6th rounder or something.
Maybe we'll need to give more back like a 2015 midrounder.

Am I smoking crack? As difficult as it is to predict trade ups and trade downs, I won't ask for the chances of this happening. But... is it plausible? Can I at least dream about it?

**** that.

Go see what the Chargers gave up to move up in the SECOND round to get Eric Weddle.

One second rounder and then give up a sixth?

Again, **** that.

saphojunkie 03-14-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10489430)
**** that.

Go see what the Chargers gave up to move up in the SECOND round to get Eric Weddle.

One second rounder and then give up a sixth?

Again, **** that.

I just did, and San Diego moved up from #62 to #37. That's a hell of a lot bigger than #30 to #23. But still... quite a haul.

Quote:

Chicago later traded this selection to San Diego for their second-round selection (62nd overall, used to select Dan Bazuin), their third-round selection (93rd overall, used to select Garrett Wolfe), their fifth-round selection (167th overall, used to select Kevin Payne), and their third-round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft. Scouts, Inc. (April 28, 2007)

Sfeihc 03-14-2014 05:13 PM

Every year I'm usually all for the CHIEFS and the trade down scenario. Last time the CHIEFS traded down they took Jon Baldwin but it also netted them Justin Houston in the third round who was mocked to KC in the first round early on in the process.

Dayze 03-14-2014 05:30 PM

as long as our coveted OL is there, I'm good with it.

Mugsy 03-14-2014 08:07 PM

How realistic is trading down given the hand we were dealt? I keep looking at Cincy (next pick after us) and thinking they really have no desperate needs.