ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Terez Paylor mocks us a CB (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282974)

O.city 04-13-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10559831)
No, running a 4.40 40 at 6' 2 1/2", 221 lbs., with a 40" vertical is the gift.

Teaching a guy to use his hands a bit better is repetition. Like a golf swing, it's just how he learned. That's correctable.

I do agree that Beckham has some of the finest hands I've ever seen at that level. Highpoints the ball as well as anyone and his catch radius with those arms is amazing.

However, the combination of size to speed to vertical that Moncrief has is ridiculous. And it's not Baldwin size/speed/vertical. Moncrief's version is usable and translates to the football field.

The guy knows when to shorten or lengthen his stride to maximize the speed he needs. Absolutely jets off the line where guys like Baldwin and our current receiver Hemingway need a little bit of runway to get up to speed. (It's like an F-16 versus a C-130 getting to 350 mph. Both can get there, but one just does it a hell of a lot faster.)

Also, the one thing is that with an accurate QB like Alex Smith, the highpointing issue isn't as much of an issue versus getting off the line, getting into your breaks and hitting your spot. A less accurate QB needs a guy like Beckham to be able to go get the ball and make sure that it's in his hands. (Think Stafford versus Smith.) Smith and Reid's offense needs a guy to be at a spot and the ability to separate once the ball and the receiver are together. It's what held back this offense initially and what the potential was when we saw Avery actually hold onto a ball.

I love Beckham, but I'm convinced he won't be there at #23 at this point. The next guy I'd take is Moncrief, and I do like Moncrief's ability to break free and turn upfield. I don't think that there is a guy in this draft that is more capable in that regard than Moncrief other than Watkins.

I agree Beckham is probably gone when we pick.

Similarly to the golf swing, under pressure you revert to things you know. It takes a lot of repetition to change muscle memory.

With his focus issues from time to time, paired with being a body catcher, it's tough to endorse taking Moncrief over say Cooks.

Saccopoo 04-13-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10559816)
Maybe trade down into the 2nd, get an extra 3rd, take Moncrief?

It would have to be a high second.

Moncrief is a legit first round pick and I don't think he'll be there at the midway point of the second round.

Guys with his size/speed/vertical + actual production combo are extremely rare and GM's/coaches know that. Even though the drafturbators aren't showing him in the first in their mocks, I'm pretty sure that he's up there very high on most teams boards, especially those who need WR's. (And there is a lot of those.)

O.city 04-13-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 10559837)
Putting Cooks opposite Megatron?

The idea is you stretch out the capabilities of the other team's defensive backfield depth. Different types of players that have different skill sets will generate those mismatches more efficiently.

I just can't get past how Evans played with a crackhead QB who runs around for 7 or 8 seconds before getting rid of the ball.

With Staffords propensity to just throw it up, Evans would rape.

I also think Manziel owes quite a bi to Evans

O.city 04-13-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10559867)
It would have to be a high second.

Moncrief is a legit first round pick and I don't think he'll be there at the midway point of the second round.

Guys with his size/speed/vertical + actual production combo are extremely rare and GM's/coaches know that. Even though the drafturbators aren't showing him in the first in their mocks, I'm pretty sure that he's up there very high on most teams boards, especially those who need WR's. (And there is a lot of those.)

Where do you think said draft guys are getting the info?

Saccopoo 04-13-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10559856)
I agree Beckham is probably gone when we pick.

Similarly to the golf swing, under pressure you revert to things you know. It takes a lot of repetition to change muscle memory.

With his focus issues from time to time, paired with being a body catcher, it's tough to endorse taking Moncrief over say Cooks.

Cooks is an excellent receiver.

But so is Moncrief and he's substantially bigger. That translates to a future #1 where I don't think Cook's frame has that potential.

And as I stated, the QB the receiver is working with is important. Moncrief has shown the ability to make the sick, ridiculous, circus show type of catches, but it's his route running, breaks and blocking ability where he'll be really good in this offense. Smith puts the ball where it needs to be versus having a receiver who needs to be able to go get the ball on a vertical. Like I said, guys like Cutler and Stafford want receivers like Beckham. Smith wants receivers like Moncrief. (Though, I ain't gonna bitch if it's Cooks, Beckham, Lee or Moncrief. All are very solid prospects who will immediately upgrade the Chiefs at that position. Shit, even the next tier guys like Matthews, Robinson, Davis, Abbrederis, Street, Norwood, etc. are all very solid players.)

Saccopoo 04-13-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 10559874)
Where do you think said draft guys are getting the info?

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...ew_Darts_3.gif

O.city 04-13-2014 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10559921)
Cooks is an excellent receiver.

But so is Moncrief and he's substantially bigger. That translates to a future #1 where I don't think Cook's frame has that potential.

And as I stated, the QB the receiver is working with is important. Moncrief has shown the ability to make the sick, ridiculous, circus show type of catches, but it's his route running, breaks and blocking ability where he'll be really good in this offense. Smith puts the ball where it needs to be versus having a receiver who needs to be able to go get the ball on a vertical. Like I said, guys like Cutler and Stafford want receivers like Beckham. Smith wants receivers like Moncrief. (Though, I ain't gonna bitch if it's Cooks, Beckham, Lee or Moncrief. All are very solid prospects who will immediately upgrade the Chiefs at that position. Shit, even the next tier guys like Matthews, Robinson, Davis, Abbrederis, Street, Norwood, etc. are all very solid players.)

Even with a Qb who puts it where you want it, you still want I catch I with your hands though.

I didn't realize it but Moncrief also has small hands.

I dunno, I'll refer to you guys in him, but IMO, I'd rather have Beckham cooks and lee in this offense.

Nightfyre 04-13-2014 02:27 PM

The biggest thing Moncrief has working against him is the fact that he took plays off and was a selfish player, imo. Attitude is important to success.

RunKC 04-13-2014 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saccopoo (Post 10559704)
And I think that Moncrief goes above Beckham with those non-limiters as Beckham does Cooks.

Those limiters being size, arm length, verticality, speed, blocking ability, etc.

All three are exceptionally solid WR prospects, run solid routes, do the little things, but when you consider that:

Cooks: 5'10", 189 lbs., 30 3/4" arms, 9 5/8" hands, 4.33 40, 36.0" vert, 120" broad
Beckham: 5'11", 195 lbs., 32 3/4" arms, 10" hands, 4.43 40, 38.5" vert, 122" broad
Moncrief: 6'2 1/2", 221 lbs., 32 3/8" arms, 9 1/8" hands, 4.40 40, 39.5" vert, 132" broad

Beckham is bigger than Cooks with better explosiveness, Moncrief is bigger than Beckham with more explosiveness.

All three run great routes. All three block well. All three jet off the line.

What's the difference? What's the "limitations" on one versus the other?

All things being relatively equal, I take the guy who's 6'2 1/2", 221 lbs., versus the 5'10", 189 lb. guy because he's going to be able to be more physical, take more punishment, be more effective in blocking, etc.

Another reason we might be looking at the big WR's is because in the WCO that Reid runs it's a nice benefit to have big guys like Bowe to block out DB's on that cross routes/short routes.
That's a big reason why Alex Smith trusted Bowe later on IMO. His TE's in SF gave him that huge benefit.

Here's a great example.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3808...gif_medium.gif

It's really ****ing hard for DB's to defend against these guys on plays like this, that we run a lot of in this system.

This is why they LOVE Mike Evans IMO. Too bad he is out of our reach.

RunKC 04-13-2014 03:31 PM

Also brings up Cody Latimer. He's been skyrocketing way up the boards from a 5th round pick, to a 3rd round pick and now after his pro day some people think he's a 1st round talent hiding in the shithole known as Indiana football.

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-13-2014 05:29 PM

The more I think about it , after wanting a Rd 1 Wr so bad, we are better of going CB / Safety with all our picks.

OldSchool 04-13-2014 05:33 PM

I wouldn't hate it if we drafted Roby, he's a very talented player and has great potential.

RunKC 04-13-2014 06:00 PM

All of our losses were to the Broncos, Chargers and Colts.

Our offense was able to score against them. We lost because we couldn't stop their pass offense. And on top of that you have to worry about Tom Brady.

CB being picked at 23 doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-13-2014 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10560818)
All of our losses were to the Broncos, Chargers and Colts.

Our offense was able to score against them. We lost because we couldn't stop their pass offense. And on top of that you have to worry about Tom Brady.

CB being picked at 23 doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Agreed.

And Andy can find a damn good reciever in the mid round. Take a CB or pass rusher. The defense needs more help than our offense.

milkman 04-13-2014 07:13 PM

This defwnse needs a FS far more than a CB.

You stupid ****ers all bitch and moan that Bob Sutton didn't make any adjustments, when, in fact, he did.

He tried to cover foir the gaping hole at free safety by lining the corners off the line after teams began to exploit deep routes that Lewis failed to help with.

The problem is that it allowed teams to rape this defense on the quick dink and dunks that the Mannings and Rivers of the world thrive on.

Find a FS that can play the single high technique, and allow these corners to play the press physical coverage that they thrive on, and this secondary is plenty good enough to play against the QBs that scare your dumb asses.