ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Bills contact NFL about fairness in scheduling (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278547)

thabear04 11-13-2013 11:53 AM

Bills contact NFL about fairness in scheduling

The Buffalo Bills want a level playing field when it comes to their schedule. The team's website points out that six of the team's opponents have had extra time to prepare for Bills games because they faced Buffalo after a bye week or a "Thursday Night Football" game.

That's the highest total in the league, with the Atlanta Falcons up next with four such games. The Bills have taken their complaints to the NFL.

"We certainly have talked to the league about this because it’s been disappointing where teams are coming off a bye or a long week," Bills President and CEO Russ Brandon told WGR. "This (Sunday) is the second time we're playing the Jets coming off a Thursday night game and now we're playing them coming off a bye.

"We lead the league in amount of games coming off of extra time or a bye week. It is a very, very tough job what they have in scheduling with all the different things that go into the formula and the stadium commitments and TV schedules, but it's certainly something that needs to be addressed."

It's hard to take this complaint too seriously. Teams that repeatedly play on "Monday Night Football" are also at a disadvantage the following week, but teams love that spotlight. This is a scheduling quirk that should be avoided, and it's unfortunate for this year's Bills. But it probably happens every now and then, and we don't remember another team raising the issue publicly.

There's also the question of whether any data supports the notion that extra time actually helps a team. Previous numbers have suggested that teams coming off a bye get a modest advantage at best. We've asked our research department for recent numbers on that, and will follow up here later.

The Franchise 11-13-2013 11:55 AM

I've always thought that there should only be two bye weeks. Half the league on one....half the league on the other.

DaFace 11-13-2013 12:00 PM

Sounds like a reasonable complaint, though I doubt it changes anything.

ThaVirus 11-13-2013 12:03 PM

Very reasonable complaint. The schedule makers have plenty of time to get shit all situated. I would bet they'll pay a bit more attention to this sort of thing going forward.

thabear04 11-13-2013 12:03 PM

Only way I see them change it is maybe they take the Thursday night game out and do a double header on Sunday night or even play a Saturday night game.

notorious 11-13-2013 12:04 PM

Small Market Team.

They are ****ed.

Nzoner 11-13-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10183821)
Very reasonable complaint. The schedule makers have plenty of time to get shit all situated. I would bet they'll pay a bit more attention to this sort of thing going forward.

Reasonable yes but with that team I don't think it mattered all that much.

Old Dog 11-13-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10183797)
I've always thought that there should only be two bye weeks. Half the league on one....half the league on the other.

I would rather see 8 (one for each division).

Nzoner 11-13-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10183822)
Only way I see them change it is maybe they take the Thursday night game out and do a double header on Sunday night or even play a Saturday night game.

I love the Saturday night idea,in fact it would be ****ing awesome if KC could get a Saturday night play-off game.

Contrarian 11-13-2013 12:10 PM

Get rid of the Thursday night games, problem solved. Make double headers on Monday night.

htismaqe 11-13-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thabear04 (Post 10183822)

Never happen.

The NFL has crossed the threshold of taking games OFF the schedule. From now on, they'll only be adding games.

mcaj22 11-13-2013 12:11 PM

this is still a newer(?) complaint. there is no precedent since Goddell and the shit league just starting adding Thursday night games for a FULL SEASON.

It wasn't a problem before because there wasnt Thursday night games starting in Week 1 to Week 16 like there is now. I think it's valid, and even worse cause the league wants to extend to TWO Thursday night games eventually? This occurrence will pop up a lot more then with scheduling.

A Salt Weapon 11-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10183831)

I like this idea a lot. Each division has a bye week where all 4 teams take that week off.
Good idea.

Frazod 11-13-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 10183826)
Small Market Team.

They are ****ed.

Sounds familiar.

The Franchise 11-13-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10183831)

I'm cool with that. You could really shorten it down to 4 and give two divisions a week off.