ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Do you still use the term "Master Bedroom" ? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272422)

Deberg_1990 04-24-2013 08:26 AM

Do you still use the term "Master Bedroom" ?

:facepalm:

Homebuilders scrap 'master bedroom' because of racist, gender-biased connotations

http://www.bizjournals.com/baltimore...t.html?ana=twt

The “master suite” is being phased out — not from our homes, but from our lexicon.

A survey of 10 major Washington, D.C.-area homebuilders found that six no longer use the term “master” in their floor plans to describe the largest bedroom in the house. They have replaced it with “owner’s suite” or “owner’s bedroom” or, in one case, “mastre bedroom.”

Why? In large part for exactly the reason you would think: “Master” has connotation problems, in gender (it skews toward male) and race (the slave-master).

Enter the owner's suite.

“I imagine it’s not only a more accurate description but also a more politically correct term of art,” said Steve Nardella, senior vice president of operations for Bethesda-based Winchester Homes Inc.

Either way, the “master suite” has been linguistically shoved aside.

Winchester, Pulte Homes, NV Homes and Ryan Homes (both under the NVR Inc. umbrella), Van Metre Cos. and D.R. Horton Inc. have all replaced “master” in their floor plans, some more recently than others.

Richmond American Homes, Shulz Homes Corp. Sekas Homes Ltd. (in some of its models) and Quaker Custom Homes LLC continue to employ the word “master” in their designs.

In general, said Grant Johnson of Sekas Homes, “we’re using owner suite, but sometimes it will come through as master.”

Over time, “master” will be filtered out entirely, he said. The change is “just working through the industry, and finally, bingo, we got it.”

Randy Creaser, owner of D.C.’s Creaser/O’Brien Architects PC, said he ditched “master” in the early 1990s in his home designs. He vaguely recalled a few lawsuits brought against builders over the phrase. Pulte spokeswoman Valerie Dolenga said Pulte made the shift maybe three or four years ago.

Word of the change is now reaching the resale market, where “owner’s bedroom” is most commonly used in higher-end listings, said Brian Block, managing broker for McLean, Va.-based RE/Max Allegiance.

“The terminology has more of an upscale tone to it, particularly in some of the really large homes that truly have a large bedroom, sitting area, enormous walk-in closets, and lavish bathrooms,” Block wrote in an email. “Owner Suite conveys a sense of being distinguished, having ‘made it’ or ‘arrived’ rather than the everyday ‘Master Bedroom.’”

Lorraine Arora, vice president and managing broker of two Long & Foster Real Estate Inc. in Springfield, Va., and Kingstowne, Va., said older brokers tend to use “master,” because that is what they’ve always used, while the younger agents “want to be more politically correct.” Her office, she said in an email, is split between the two terms

BigMeatballDave 04-24-2013 08:27 AM

LMAO

Chief Roundup 04-24-2013 08:28 AM

Political Correctness knows no bounds.

HemiEd 04-24-2013 08:28 AM

:skip: This kind of crap is another reason why I am glad we only live so long.

Donger 04-24-2013 08:29 AM

Yes. I also have a slave room where I keep my gruel-fed, teenaged runaways.

blaise 04-24-2013 08:31 AM

How stupid.

Demonpenz 04-24-2013 08:31 AM

The Chinese room is where I keep my model trains.

Strongside 04-24-2013 08:33 AM

I prefer the term "Massa Beh-room" myself.

blaise 04-24-2013 08:35 AM

They should replace "Owner's Suite" with "Future Foreclosure Suite."

Saul Good 04-24-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9619817)
Yes. I also have a slave room where I keep my gruel-fed, teenaged runaways.

We should hang out some time.

PhillyChiefFan 04-24-2013 08:45 AM

Wow. Lame and pathetic.

Donger 04-24-2013 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9619846)
We should hang out some time.

Are you a teenaged runaway who likes gruel?

Rain Man 04-24-2013 08:51 AM

I only call it the Master Bedroom when we're hosting S&M parties. Other than that, it's just the Gettin' Busy room.

HoneyBadger 04-24-2013 08:53 AM

There must be a secret society of crazies who sit around and find new things to call politically incorrect.

ChiefaRoo 04-24-2013 08:58 AM

These people have to much time on their hands. Looking for manufactured outrage in a world full of true injustice. They should all get on planes and do missionary/outreach work in the various armpits of the world.