ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Restating the obvious, Dorsey learned from Ted Thompson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=282755)

ct 04-03-2014 05:00 AM

Restating the obvious, Dorsey learned from Ted Thompson

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/packers-prefer-compensatory-picks-over-unrestricted-free-agents/

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson has a formula for building his team, and he’s sticking with it.

Thompson believes in building through the draft, not free agency, and that includes acquiring more draft picks by declining to sign unrestricted free agents. In the NFL, teams that lose more in free agency than they acquire get compensatory picks, and the Packers’ moves in free agency this year indicate that they’re already thinking about acquiring compensatory picks for next year. The NFL doesn’t public the precise formula used to determine compensatory picks, but the simple version is that if the unrestricted free agents you lose are better, higher-paid players than the unrestricted free agents you sign, then the NFL will compensate you the following year with compensatory picks.

As the Green Bay Press-Gazette points out, even the one big name the Packers have signed this offseason, Julius Peppers, was a free agent because he was released by the Bears, not because his previous contract expired. That means he won’t count as an unrestricted free agent addition for the Packers for the purpose of determining their compensatory picks next year.

Last year the Packers lost two key players, receiver Greg Jennings and linebacker Erik Walden, as unrestricted free agents. And the Packers didn’t sign any unrestricted free agents last year. As a result, this year they’re getting an extra third-round pick and an extra fifth-round pick as compensatory selections.

This year the Packers have again not signed away any players whose previous contract expired, but they have lost four players, center Evan Dietrich-Smith, receiver James Jones, defensive lineman C.J. Wilson and offensive lineman Marshall Newhouse. That means the Packers will almost certainly do well when the compensatory picks are passed out a year from now.

Building through the draft and declining to overspend in free agency would be a smart strategy even if the NFL didn’t have a compensatory pick system to reward frugal teams. But when compensatory picks are added to the equation, it’s easy to see why Thompson declines to go after free agents. The Packers have been successful this way. It’s surprising more teams haven’t copied them.

May not be popular here but Dorsey is doing exactly the same thing Thompson and Ozzie Newsome are doing, stockpile draft picks and let UFAs get overpaid elsewhere.

Messier 04-03-2014 05:28 AM

People here seem to have a problem with Dorsey, they say because last offseason doesn't look like this offseason. "Where's the continuity?!?" personally, I think they're just mad because we're not active this year, not that there's no continuity.

But, I think it's very possible that last year, Reid had might have stepped in and said there are some things we NEED to get done. Get Alex Smith, and resign Bowe.

InChiefsHeaven 04-03-2014 05:36 AM

Well, many would like to see the Chiefs build through the draft, and I guess I'm one who agrees with that. It might not be pretty at first, but I'm willing to let this front office do their thing.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 10536250)
People here seem to have a problem with Dorsey, they say because last offseason doesn't look like this offseason. "Where's the continuity?!?" personally, I think they're just mad because we're not active this year, not that there's no continuity.

But, I think it's very possible that last year, Reid had might have stepped in and said there are some things we NEED to get done. Get Alex Smith, and resign Bowe.

You think wrong.

I'm mad because he says he's building through the draft while trading away draft picks.

If you don't see those two things as contradictory, you're just being stubborn because they absolutely are.

TEX 04-03-2014 06:57 AM

A "Whatever" story...When did Thompson trade TWO #2's for a player if building through the draft was the plan? If you do that, you go all in to win, especially with your core players being in their prime. Should have done more this off season to build on last year otherwise it was a waste, and so are the traded draft picks. Going to have to get a lot in the draft just to be where they were last year. My bet is they will take a step backwards and they didnt have to.

Chief Gump 04-03-2014 07:03 AM

If the team wins no one will bash him. If the team goes into a nose dive fans will be pissed. It is a very simple formula.

the Talking Can 04-03-2014 07:04 AM

because this plan works without Aaron Rodgers...jesus

it's the new 'patriot's way'...which was always 'thank ****ing christ we lucked into Tom Brady'

TEX 04-03-2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10536284)
You think wrong.

I'm mad because he says he's building through the draft while trading away draft picks.

If you don't see those two things as contradictory, you're just being stubborn because they absolutely are.

They are very easy to see. The only reason why some dont is because they don't want to...

Deberg_1990 04-03-2014 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Gump (Post 10536302)
If the team wins no one will bash him. If the team goes into a nose dive fans will be pissed. It is a very simple formula.

Exactly. The average fan doesn't obsess over the draft and picks like most around here.

If the team continues to win, nobody will care. Winning is all that matters to most.

BigMeatballDave 04-03-2014 07:10 AM

It was one trade. You're acting like he's made several trades.

They needed a QB. What would you have them do? I'm all for taking a QB in the first, but right now, last yrs QB class looks like ass.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10536319)
It was one trade. You're acting like he's made several trades.

It was two critical picks. A good GM will get 2 solid starters out of 2nd round picks. He essentially traded two of them for Alex Smith.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10536319)
They needed a QB. What would you have them do? I'm all for taking a QB in the first, but right now, last yrs QB class looks like ass.

They didn't HAVE to draft a QB. Again, a GOOD GM would find a way to get a good QB without mortgaging his own draft strategy.

For all of the talk about how "garbage" last year's draft was, this year's draft is one of the BEST in recent memory.

And we're missing a 2nd round pick.

Mr_Tomahawk 04-03-2014 07:14 AM

EVERYONE PANIC BECAUSE WE DIDNT WIN A SUPER BOWL LAST YEAR!

Deberg_1990 04-03-2014 07:17 AM

OMG! were missing a 2nd rounder! it could have been the next Kawika Mitchell or Junior Siavii! everyone panic!
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 10536326)
EVERYONE PANIC BECAUSE WE DIDNT WIN A SUPER BOWL LAST YEAR!

Said nobody ever.

htismaqe 04-03-2014 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10536332)
OMG! were missing a 2nd rounder! it could have been the next Kawika Mitchell or Junior Siavii! everyone panic!
Posted via Mobile Device

If that's your straw man, might as well fire Dorsey now because his first round picks will be the next Ryan Sims or Sylvester Morris.