ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Car repair - brakes buzzing (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271266)

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:05 AM

Car repair - brakes buzzing

Help. I could really use the Planet's vast knowledge right about now.

I have a 2005 Hyundai Sante Fe 3.5L. I just replaced the rotors and brake pads on the front. It was driving fine and the brakes were working fine. But the ABS and TCS lights were on for some reason.

A little while later the wife started driving it and the brakes were kind of grinding. Well, not grinding. More like buzzing. It also lost most braking power. The ABS and TCS lights were no longer on.

I have taken everything apart and put it back together again a couple of additional times and still can't find the problem.

This seems to be an intermittent problem. It doesn't always happen right away. But almost always seems to show up if I stop, turn off the engine, and then start it up and drive again.

Is this something I can fix or should I take it to my mechanic? I am okay with basic repairs but don't have the tools or know how for anything more complex.

chiefforlife 03-18-2013 08:09 AM

You should take it to a qualified repair shop. Give them the money you tried to save by doing it yourself. :doh!:

stevieray 03-18-2013 08:19 AM

did you bleed the brake lines?

007 03-18-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 9510481)
You should take it to a qualified repair shop. Give them the money you tried to save by doing it yourself. :doh!:

Anybody with half a brain can install disc brakes and rotors on a car. There is no fault in him doing it on his own.

In this current situation, however, I would take it in. It has gone beyond what he can do on his own.

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9510488)
Anybody with half a brain can install disc brakes and rotors on a car. There is no fault in him doing it on his own.

In this current situation, however, I would take it in. It has gone beyond what he can do on his own.

Thank you. Sometimes, I think people on here want to post something dickish to look cool or whatever. And yes, I have repaired brakes (roters, pads, calipers) many, many times with no problems.

Here is something else that I've come across while searching online for others who have had this problem. I hope this is not the problem. Apparently, some years of the Sante Fe (not 2005) have had recalls because of this issue - broken teeth on the tone wheel.

Bugeater 03-18-2013 08:26 AM

Buzzing? :spock:

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 9510486)
did you bleed the brake lines?

I did not. Didn't replace the brake fluid.

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9510501)
Buzzing? :spock:

That's the best way I can describe it. It is almost like a grinding but not really grinding. More like pulsating and making a buzzing sound.

stevieray 03-18-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9510502)
I did not. Didn't replace the brake fluid.

you don't need to replace the fluid.....just get the air out of the lines...then top off the fluid.

Bugeater 03-18-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9510504)
That's the best way I can describe it. It is almost like a grinding but not really grinding. More like pulsating and making a buzzing sound.

Hmm...yeah. Gotta be something with that ABS, is that tone wheel you have pictured a difficult thing to replace? Have you looked at yours?
I don't really know a whole lot about this stuff, it's all electronic witchcraft to me.

Mr_Tomahawk 03-18-2013 08:32 AM

You have bees in your tires.

Cut your tires open.

Deberg_1990 03-18-2013 08:35 AM

seek professional help, or prepare for a death crash.

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9510512)
Hmm...yeah. Gotta be something with that ABS, is that tone wheel you have pictured a difficult thing to replace? Have you looked at yours?
I don't really know a whole lot about this stuff, it's all electronic witchcraft to me.

I have not looked at it. I found this after I gave up trying to figure it out. By that time last night I had already given up on it for the day.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 03-18-2013 08:37 AM

Kinking the brake lines while taking off the calipers is easily done. Though I''ve never heard of buzzing.

Lzen 03-18-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9510517)
You have bees in your tires.

Cut your tires open.

ROFL